Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2016, 17:44   #1

Used boat. Not sure about jib rigging

This is my 24' Laguna. Bought used but fully functioning. I have tried several routes but something seems amiss. It's two ratchets, 2 winches, 2 blocks at mast base (pivots on clip).

I'm not sure I even have my mainsail rigged properly. Right now I'm tieing the mainsail halyard to the mast ring to prevent sail from dropping but I can't believe that's right :/

I have tried to put jib sheets through ratchets and that worked ok but the jib (Genoa) gets caught on the stays and the sheets seem to get caught on everything

Thank you for your time. Please no hate, I'm trying my best
Micheal
Mrdouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 04:22   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Used boat. Not sure about jib rigging

Michael, I'm not familiar with your specific boat, but let me suggest a couple of changes that are evidenced by your photos.

I see what appears to be the main halyard (blue line on winch starboard of the companionway) being led from the base of the mast across the companionway slide to the winch. It's difficult to see in the photo, but I think there may be a block directly forward of this winch that the halyard could pass through in order to provide a fair lead without rubbing across the companionway.

A more glaring problem is the lead of the jib sheet. The sheet should come from the clew of the sail outside and above all of the shrouds and life lines. In it's present location the sheet would be caught against the lifelines and shroud when the sail is full. The photo does not include how this jib sheet is placed further aft. It may not be best taken directly to the winch. sometimes a turning block or, more likely a block on an adjustable track would take the jib sheet before the winch.

Maybe someone with an identical vessel could give you better and more clear advice.
Old 20-06-2016, 04:58   #3

Boat: 81 Hunter Cherubini 27

I too am not familiar with this boat. And Hudson force is spot on about your Jib sheet. Am curious though, on this boat do you have winches located aft (port and Starboard) to control your Jib? Or is there another winch like the one shown in the photo located in the same position on the opposite side of the boat? I so, maybe these winches are supposed be controlling you Jib sheets and not used to raise and lower the main.

Had an O'Day 21 many years ago that only had cam-cleats and winches for the Jib. The main was raised and lowered by hand through a cam-cleat and then was tied off to a cleat on the cabin roof.

Any pulleys or guides located on the main deck aft of the Jib on both sides of the boat?
Teknishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 05:15   #4

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

It would help if we had more photos of the mast base, cockpit, rails and rigging, both sides.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 05:21   #5

Boat: Gemini 3200

Don't know what you mean by "ratchets". Rope clutch, maybe, or cam cleat? Pictures would help.

Where's the second winch? Is it on the other side of the cabin trunk, symmetrical with the one pictured? And is there a rope clutch in front of it as well?

In your picture there is a red line lying on the deck. It makes a loop just forward of the teak rail and there is a dark spot inside the loop. Could that be a turning block? If so it appears your main halyard should be led through that turning block so it will run aft to the rope clutch parallel to the rail. That's the fair lead Hudson Force mentioned. If the setup is the same on the other side lead your jib halyard through the block at the base of the mast, the turning block forward of the rail, and aft through the rope clutch. The rope clutches are there so you can remove the halyards from the winches once they are properly tightened. That frees the winches for use with the jib sheets.

To what is the jib sheet in the picture fastened? On most boats there are sheet winches mounted on the cockpit coaming to control the jib sheets. If you have just two winches on the boat, both mounted on the cabin top, that's where you want to lead your jib sheets. If you have dedicated sheet winches in the cockpit you'll want to use them for the jib sheets. It's hard to tell from the pictures.

The jib sheets should be led from the clew (where they attach to the sail) forward of the shrouds and stays and over the lifelines to the blocks on the toe rail, as Hudson Force said. Once through the toe rail blocks, lead them under the lifelines to the winches.

The jib sheet in the picture rubs against the lifeline stanchion. You want to find a routing where it doesn't rub against anything.

Post a more complete set of pictures so we can see all the fittings on deck and we'll be able to be more helpful.

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 09:06   #6

[QUOTE=Hudson Force;2148346 In it's present location the sheet would be caught
.[/QUOTE]

Yup. It does get caught, I've wondered about running it on the outside of stays. Will try later today
Old 20-06-2016, 09:12   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknishn View Post
I too am not familiar with this boat. And Hudson force is spot on about your Jib sheet. Am curious though, on this boat do you have winches located aft (port and Starboard) to control your Jib? Or is there another winch like the one shown in the photo located in the same position on the opposite side of the boat? I so, maybe these winches are supposed be controlling you Jib sheets and not used to raise and lower the main.

Had an O'Day 21 many years ago that only had cam-cleats and winches for the Jib. The main was raised and lowered by hand through a cam-cleat and then was tied off to a cleat on the cabin roof.

Any pulleys or guides located on the main deck aft of the Jib on both sides of the boat?
It's funny, I spend a lot of time on this boat but can't definitively say but yes, I believe I have 4 winches.

No, I don't think there are any blocks other than the pulleys in the track (of which I have no idea what they are there for)
Old 20-06-2016, 09:12   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
It would help if we had more photos of the mast base, cockpit, rails and rigging, both sides.
I will definitely take more pics today
Old 20-06-2016, 09:19   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgd3 View Post
Don't know what you mean by "ratchets". Rope clutch, maybe, or cam cleat? Pictures would help.

Where's the second winch? Is it on the other side of the cabin trunk, symmetrical with the one pictured? And is there a rope clutch in front of it as well?

In your picture there is a red line lying on the deck. It makes a loop just forward of the teak rail and there is a dark spot inside the loop. Could that be a turning block? If so it appears your main halyard should be led through that turning block so it will run aft to the rope clutch parallel to the rail. That's the fair lead Hudson Force mentioned. If the setup is the same on the other side lead your jib halyard through the block at the base of the mast, the turning block forward of the rail, and aft through the rope clutch. The rope clutches are there so you can remove the halyards from the winches once they are properly tightened. That frees the winches for use with the jib sheets.

To what is the jib sheet in the picture fastened? On most boats there are sheet winches mounted on the cockpit coaming to control the jib sheets. If you have just two winches on the boat, both mounted on the cabin top, that's where you want to lead your jib sheets. If you have dedicated sheet winches in the cockpit you'll want to use them for the jib sheets. It's hard to tell from the pictures.

The jib sheets should be led from the clew (where they attach to the sail) forward of the shrouds and stays and over the lifelines to the blocks on the toe rail, as Hudson Force said. Once through the toe rail blocks, lead them under the lifelines to the winches.

The jib sheet in the picture rubs against the lifeline stanchion. You want to find a routing where it doesn't rub against anything.

Post a more complete set of pictures so we can see all the fittings on deck and we'll be able to be more helpful.

Fabbian
I'm sorry, maybe I just made up the name ratchet lol. I think I mean clutch

I think there are two winches on each side.

The red line is coming from the boom. I think it's a "reefing" line, also have a blue line along same run(not shown). Not sure how to use them. I'm a learn as I go type of guy lol

Will post more pics today
Old 20-06-2016, 09:23   #10

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

On the Typhoon I had years ago the working jib sheets led to fairleads on the cabin top. Looked like the one in front of your winch. There were also outboard leads on the rail for larger headsails like the one your jib is currently led to in the photo.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 10:31   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

See the big metal plate just outboard and forward of the wooden runners? That looks like a deck organizer, the halyard is supposed to run thru that, then back to the clutch (the piece of hardware just in front of the winch shown), then to the winch. The clutch allows you to lock the halyard off while under load.

This means you can run the sheet from the outboard block directly to the winch.

But there may also be a second winch further back... A profile shot of the boat would be really helpful.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 11:15   #12
mrm

Boat: crew on Bavaria 38 Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
See the big metal plate just outboard and forward of the wooden runners? That looks like a deck organizer, the halyard is supposed to run thru that, then back to the clutch (the piece of hardware just in front of the winch shown), then to the winch. The clutch allows you to lock the halyard off while under load.
Stumble was faster with the description, but here is a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DV2a.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	126621  
mrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 15:19   #13

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Yep it all looks wrong, lots of roes fouling things and the sails do not look to be setting right. Can you add a plan view of the deck showing all the deck fittings and a side view pic with sails up from the dock or dingy so we can see the full setup?
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 15:39   #14

Two resources:

Sailing for Dummies --- a VERY good book

Pay Royce's Sailing Illustrated

They answer your questions, in spades.

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 16:28   #15

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm View Post
Stumble was faster with the description, but here is a picture.
That Pic of the rope clutch was perfect... Nice instruction mrm!

Mrdouble, your jib sheet winches are port and starboard aft of where you were standing looking forward to take the pictures.

The winch aft of the rope clutch will assist in raising your main, and jib if you don't have roller furling, then close the rope clutch to hold your halyard freeing up that winch to do other work. When ready to drop the main, wrap the halyard around the winch again to take the load off the clutch with the winch then release the clutch. Careful! don't get fingers holding your halyard too close to the winch...

Oh yeah, maybe obvious but don't leave your winch handle in the winch when it is loaded and you are not using it.

Tags
rigging, jib, used boat