Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 26-06-2016, 09:19   #46
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Used boat. Not sure about jib rigging

IMHO the jib is still too long in the luff. See if it is fully hoisted. Or ask a local sailmaker if the sail can be shortened.

Not much to be done to its sheet. I would keep it on the outside of the lifelines. A snap-on extra can be run inside for those extra beating moments then. Or just avoid beating ;-)

You are fine with the jib sheet as is though until it gets very fresh.

Another point is your main is quite slack along the boom. You may want to pull it a bit more tight along the boom.

Good job. Remember to swap the jib/spin halyard next. You said it exited on the 'wrong' side of the mast.

b.

Old 26-06-2016, 09:37   #47

Boat: Club Sailor; various

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrdouble View Post
The jib is another issue. I ran the sheets in between the safety lines and the stays. It worked but... I must be something wrong because I wouldn't think the jib should be resting on the life lines like that.
Thanks again for all your help
Sailing to windward you want the jib against the lifelines like that. When tacking during a race, a jib/genoa will sometimes end up half outside, half inside and the crew will "skirt" the headsail by pulling on the foot until the entire sail is inside and "resting" on the lifelines.

It looks to me like both of your sails are still way too loose. Those long horizontal creases at the jib hanks and the deep pocket in the main at the tack are pretty ugly. Make sure both halyards are really tight (use your winches) and in the case of the main, you might try tightening the outhaul and possibly the leech line as well.

Old 26-06-2016, 11:19   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
IMHO the jib is still too long in the luff. See if it is fully hoisted. Or ask a local sailmaker if the sail can be shortened.

Not much to be done to its sheet. I would keep it on the outside of the lifelines. A snap-on extra can be run inside for those extra beating moments then. Or just avoid beating ;-)

You are fine with the jib sheet as is though until it gets very fresh.

Another point is your main is quite slack along the boom. You may want to pull it a bit more tight along the boom.

Good job. Remember to swap the jib/spin halyard next. You said it exited on the 'wrong' side of the mast.

b.
You're right. I noticed the the jib "scallop"as well. I put on winch and and righted down. I guess I'm afraid to break my boat. I'll crank more next time

Yup, already swapped jib with spinnaker although at this rate it'll be 2 years before I even attempt to fly the spinnaker lol

Tags
rigging, jib, used boat

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: