Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2016, 16:32   #31

Boat: None
Send a message via Skype™ to pdbms
Re: Used boat. Not sure about jib rigging

Just my $0.02 worth. When sailing close hauled, the headsail sheet will be routed inside the life lines. once you move off the wind, you may/will need to re-route the sheets so that they don't foul on the life lines. Our boat is a 30-footer and we do this all the time.

The clutch appears to be for a line run from the mast via the forward turning block. The turning block does not appear large enough to fit a jib sheet. The orientation of the clutch would cause chafing if it were used for the jib sheet.
Old 21-06-2016, 17:11   #32

Well, I redid the main halyard,
Jib halyard and jib sheets. The jib sheets can't be right... Can they?

Mrdouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 17:18   #33

Boat: Pearson Ariel 26, Pearson 30

Jib sheets look right - put the jib halyard through the port side organizer/clutch/winch just like the main on the starboard side
RicknSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 17:46   #34

Boat: Club Sailor; various

Maybe I'm missing something but it looks to me like it will be impossible to skirt that jib when sailing close hauled with the sheets rigged like that.

And how is the foot going to clear the pulpit?
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 18:05   #35

Boat: None
Send a message via Skype™ to pdbms

Route the jib sheet inside the stays and inside the stanchion for close hauled. With the car forward like that you shouldn't route the sheet outside the stanchion.
Old 21-06-2016, 18:06   #36

Boat: Beneteau First 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFrog75 View Post
Maybe I'm missing something but it looks to me like it will be impossible to skirt that jib when sailing close hauled with the sheets rigged like that.

And how is the foot going to clear the pulpit?
That is a common problem on boats with the jibsheet track mounted on the gunwale. If closehauled, you want the sail and sheet between the lifelines and the shrouds; when falling off the wind the sheet and foot of the sail ride up over the lifelines and pulpit. A partial solution is to terminate the forward end of the lifelines on deck instead of on the pulpit, sometimes all the way at the bow. That mitigates the foot of the sail dragging on the lifelines, then some people rig a second jibsheet outside the lifelines so it doesn't drag either. Not pretty no matter what.
sandy stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 18:19   #37

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

For the OP:

Your problems are really pretty simple to solve. Are there not some other, more experienced, sailors in your marina? I bet that most of them could sort you out in just a few minutes of hands on reorganization. In your position, I'd be wandering around and asking just about anyone with a sailboat if they would stop by and give you a hand. I know that I've done that sort of thing for newbies more than once, and have been glad to be of help.

Folks here on CF want to help, but doing it long distance is awkward.

Jim
Old 22-06-2016, 05:28   #38

Boat: a sailing boat

Hey captain:

It is not possible to say if the camera was level or not, still, I made an effort to draw verticals (on the image, but not sure about reality) to show that you may have some margin there and (maybe possibly) the boom is lower than it should because the mast may be raked a bit aft.

Look at your boat from the dock. See if things are roughly level / vertical.

Amt of rake varies between boats but a boom too low is either the main sail of wrong geometry, or not fully hoisted, or maybe too much aft rake.

Now for the jib and the rail fore: if the jib is all way up, it is as the others said, some choices. On racing boats the sail can sweep the deck, this is faster ... but many racers do not have stanchions ... and you are not racing now.

On a leisure boat, just cut the jib so that it terminates above the stanchions and rails - gives you better visibility forward and cuts the sheet / rails / stanchions interference.

Keep on rolling. Have fun rigging her and sailing her.

PS Your halyards arrangement looks pretty decent by now. When the main halyard is in the clutch, the winch is free for other tasks, there are special beer can holders that fit into the winch socket ... ;-)

Have fun,
b.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3gjU9ZZ.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	126715  
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 10:16   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Hey captain:

PS Your halyards arrangement looks pretty decent by now. When the main halyard is in the clutch, the winch is free for other tasks, there are special beer can holders that fit into the winch socket ... ;-)

Have fun,
b.
Funny you should bring up the can holders. Found out real quick kids and drinks are a pain in the ass. I had bottles everywhere
Old 23-06-2016, 14:47   #40

Well, I ran the jib halyard to other side through pulley at the base and through the organizer and to the winch. It works...only problem is the exit hole is on the other side so it wraps around the mast to get to the port side. Turns out when I replaced the jib halyard I was actually replacing the spinnaker. I'll replace the jib halyard that exits on the port side this weekend.

I'm still wondering, what do I cleat the jib sheet to?

Old 24-06-2016, 14:19   #41
mrm

Boat: crew on Bavaria 38 Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrdouble View Post
[...] I'm still wondering, what do I cleat the jib sheet to?
Like this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HspeFp6_after.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	126798  
mrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2016, 14:57   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm View Post
Like this:
Thank you Mrm

I thought quick realease method (cam cleat) for jib sheets

I think I'm ready to go sailing

Thank you all
Micheal from Michigan
Old 24-06-2016, 20:21   #43

Boat: a sailing boat

If you use an asymmetric jamming cleat you can just give it one turn and that's that.

This is way faster than the symmetrical cleat.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...LucsftEnf8TvBQ

I think a 'jammer cleat' may be a more apt name(?)

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 18:54   #44

I took the boat out today. Nice and windy 😜

I absolutely love the new jib and mainsail halyards running though the clutches. My gosh I can actually get them right now. Thank you so much

The jib is another issue. I ran the sheets in between the safety lines and the stays. It worked but... I must be something wrong because I wouldn't think the jib should be resting on the life lines like that. Yes yes, I'm aware I have both sheets on same side. I was experimenting and jib happened to be on port side so I didn't bother

Thanks again for all your help
Old 25-06-2016, 20:10   #45

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Mr Double, you now have the lines run correctly. The next thing is to get some more halyard tension on the jib. Tighten it up until all those scallops between the hanks have disappeared and the luff of the sail is pretty straight. This is pretty important; as you have it now the sail shape is all wrong. The pictures don't show the luff of the mainsail, but a similar taughtness is required. The mainsail outhaul should be tightened similarly, removing all those wrinkles.

Later, after you have mastered the basics you can learn about adjusting those tensions to adapt to differing wind strengths, but for now what I have outlined will be OK.

As to the jib leaning on the life lines... well, that is always an issue with low cut jibs. In your case, if the sail, when you have tightened up the halyard as described above, is not all the way to the masthead, you can put a short strop (just a loop of line will do) between the tack fitting on the sail and the point on the stemhead where it attaches, moving the whole sail up a bit. Everything will still work OK, but less of t he sail will rub on the lifelines.

Give all that a try and report back, maybe with some more pictures with the sails full of wind and sheeted in.

Cheers,

Jim

Tags
rigging, jib, used boat