Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-06-2016, 17:41   #16

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'
Re: Used boat. Not sure about jib rigging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrdouble View Post
It's funny, I spend a lot of time on this boat but can't definitively say but yes, I believe I have 4 winches.

No, I don't think there are any blocks other than the pulleys in the track (of which I have no idea what they are there for)
You can slide those blocks (pulleys) forward and aft on the track to change the angle that the sheet pulls the jib to give the jib a fuller or flatter shape. In light winds, you may want a fuller sail to get more lift.

Another good instruction book (and visually appealing) is Jan Adkins "The Craft of Sail"

Old 21-06-2016, 05:22   #17

Hi guys, thank you for the input and here are a lot of pics

Old 21-06-2016, 05:47   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm View Post
Stumble was faster with the description, but here is a picture.
Great illustration. I did that previously but thought it must be wrong as certainly the jib stays go through clutch
Old 21-06-2016, 05:50   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Two resources:

Sailing for Dummies --- a VERY good book

Pay Royce's Sailing Illustrated

They answer your questions, in spades.

Good luck.
Have the first one. Will get the second book. Thank you
Old 21-06-2016, 05:52   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
See the big metal plate just outboard and forward of the wooden runners? That looks like a deck organizer, the halyard is supposed to run thru that, then back to the clutch (the piece of hardware just in front of the winch shown), then to the winch. The clutch allows you to lock the halyard off while under load.

This means you can run the sheet from the outboard block directly to the winch.

But there may also be a second winch further back... A profile shot of the boat would be really helpful.
Yup, there are 4 in total. Not sure why so many:/. I'm so confused lol
Old 21-06-2016, 05:52   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Mrdouble, I'm sure that I'm not alone among the sailors that look at the photos of your mast step area and chuckle at the view of the "wild snakes" of twisted and snarled lines. This adds a new factor.

You've received some great advice about the proper pathway for halyards and sheets in the posts above, but there's something else,- organization.

There are ways to coil and leave lines on the deck that will allow you to use them without twists and tangles. You'll find some great threads here that show how sailors organize lines.
Old 21-06-2016, 06:02   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
That Pic of the rope clutch was perfect... Nice instruction mrm!

Mrdouble, your jib sheet winches are port and starboard aft of where you were standing looking forward to take the pictures.

The winch aft of the rope clutch will assist in raising your main, and jib if you don't have roller furling, then close the rope clutch to hold your halyard freeing up that winch to do other work. When ready to drop the main, wrap the halyard around the winch again to take the load off the clutch with the winch then release the clutch. Careful! don't get fingers holding your halyard too close to the winch...

Oh yeah, maybe obvious but don't leave your winch handle in the winch when it is loaded and you are not using it.
I had previously ran the mainsail halyard though clutch then used the winch but stopped doing that when it occurred to me the clutches were for the jib :/
Old 21-06-2016, 06:06   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
Mrdouble, I'm sure that I'm not alone among the sailors that look at the photos of your mast step area and chuckle at the view of the "wild snakes" of twisted and snarled lines. This adds a new factor.

You've received some great advice about the proper pathway for halyards and sheets in the posts above, but there's something else,- organization.

There are ways to coil and leave lines on the deck that will allow you to use them without twists and tangles. You'll find some great threads here that show how sailors organize lines.
Yup, I had previously had all the lines coiled nicely. I guess I need to be more vigilant
Old 21-06-2016, 08:11   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Just maybe but it seems like you may have a bit aft rake. Look from the dock. Aim for the mast to look right up.

I may be wrong, just guessing from how low the foot(feet) of the sails are.

b.
Old 21-06-2016, 09:44   #25

Boat: Club Sailor; various

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post

A more glaring problem is the lead of the jib sheet. The sheet should come from the clew of the sail outside and above all of the shrouds and life lines. In it's present location the sheet would be caught against the lifelines and shroud when the sail is full. The photo does not include how this jib sheet is placed further aft. It may not be best taken directly to the winch. sometimes a turning block or, more likely a block on an adjustable track would take the jib sheet before the winch.
Looking at the pictures and given the way the sail appears to be cut, I don't see how it would be possible to get the foot and clew over the pulpit and lifelines and outside the shrouds.

Old 21-06-2016, 10:10   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Just maybe but it seems like you may have a bit aft rake. Look from the dock. Aim for the mast to look right up.

I may be wrong, just guessing from how low the foot(feet) of the sails are.

b.
I been waiting for someone to ask about that. With the toppinglift completely withdrawn the sails are... Way way low into seated areas. The marina stepped the mast so I figured they did it right
Old 21-06-2016, 10:25   #27

Boat: Club Sailor; various

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrdouble View Post
I been waiting for someone to ask about that. With the toppinglift completely withdrawn the sails are... Way way low into seated areas. The marina stepped the mast so I figured they did it right
Even with the halyard tight? I understand the boom falling into the cockpit with the halyard eased and no topping lift but once the main is raised and the halyard tight the boom should be up.
Old 21-06-2016, 10:41   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFrog75 View Post
Even with the halyard tight? I understand the boom falling into the cockpit with the halyard eased and no topping lift but once the main is raised and the halyard tight the boom should be up.
Yes, even with the sail tightend up with winch
Old 21-06-2016, 16:10   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Argh, Yes.

As posted by others this jib is set to close to the deck. Hoist it higher up and lead its sheets 'outside of everything' - on the outer side of the shrouds and lifelines, then into the block and then inboard only.

Maybe the main has the same challenge - see if you can hoist the main higher up.

The summer is here for good! You will have her sailing like a dream in no time.

Cheers,
b.
Old 21-06-2016, 16:56   #30

you folks have pointed out several issues that seem like easy fixes and for that I thank you all.

Couple more questions?

If the cleat on lower mast is for jib halyard, does that also wrap around the inverted pulley on bottom of mast before being cleated?

So if I'm to understand correctly, the mainsail halyard runs to the change direction block, the line organizer, the clutch then the winch?

The jib sheet runs outside all safety lines and stays, through slideable pully, to aft winch?

Tags
rigging, jib, used boat

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: