Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2005, 18:42   #1

Boat: Cape Dory 28, "Night Wind"
USCG part 1

In a recent thread I posted, I was a bit surprised to find that others thought that having USCG documentation would help them if their boat was stolen, I don't think so ... and I would like to say a few words about the Coasties.
First of all, several members of the local unit, are my friends, and I support them and their agency 100% ... but ... I think there may be misconceptions about thier real world capabilities, and I would like to address that.
For the last several years, the local USCG has been almost impossible to hear on the VHF .. they were faint & garbled, meanwhile, the Tampa bay Coasties came across loud & clear, though they are 60+ miles further away. The local unit (Fort Myers Beach) clearly needed new radio equipment ... and weren't getting it. Whether the money was available, and the local commander simply didn't know how to get it .. or ... the money wasn't available, I don't know .. but that was the situation.
Finally, they got a new radio .... donated by local boaters!!!!!! While they were at it, they painted & wall papered the living quarters, and refurbished it using second hand furniture, they described the previous conditions as "deplorable".
We count on the Coasties daily to watch over us ... but this is the reality of the situation, they are underfunded and overworked.
I'm going to go on and post a second thread "USCG part 2" so that people can reply to each individually ... part 2 will be an interesting story ... I promise!

Bob & Lynn
Wahoo Sails is offline   Reply With Quote