Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2017, 11:43   #1

Boat: Westsail 32
USCG Documentation Declined -- Need options fast

My USCG was declined today, after a months worth of waiting because my boat doesn't meet the 5-ton requirement. It's my fault, I should have seen this requirement.

In any case, I need some form of documentation as I'm heading south to Grenada for hurricane season (from St Martin), and the sooner I can leave, the better.

What are some fast options available to me? I'd like to avoid a St Martin registration as it needs to be renewed every year in person, and my plans are taking me to the Pacific.
Ryban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:56   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Re: USCG Documentation Declined -- Need options fast

Do you have a government issued title showing you as the owner of the boat?

I don't know if that will suffice, as I've always used my USCG documentation (which is a form of title proving ownership) when clearing in to foreign countries, but it might be the best you can do.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:04   #3

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38

Not everyone has a documented boat, get a state title and registration and you should be fine.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:05   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The alternate proper solution is a state registration . . . . from your home port state. I have no idea how quickly you could get that.

You did not hear this from me . . . . . . but I have been told that . . . . .

A scanner, photoshop, a decent color printer, a friend with the appropriate piece of paperwork, and some nice heavy beige paper will get you a temporary piece of paper that will do the job (everywhere but the one (?) country that has a realtime data link to US CBP).

It is certainly not a permanent solution, and there are certainly risks involved, but if you just simply can't execute any other better solution . . . . .

In our time cruising there were a few times when local officials asked for paper that we simply did not have and were not going to get. There are times you just have to be a little creative . . . like in Uruguay they insisted on my captain's license before letting so leave harbor . . . . I gave them my drivers license and they dutifully copied down the ID number on their form.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:05   #5

It was titled in St Martin, but I had the previous owner remove the title as per the USCG requirements for the new documentation. I've got the notorized bill of sale, but I don't have a current title.

I will look into state registration and... Temporary documentation
Old 01-06-2017, 12:19   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Non documented boats in Oregon are registered at at an agent for the state. I know there's one at Saint Helens marina, but probably many in Portland. You pay your money and get a temporary receipt. Maybe there's a fee for faster service.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 13:09   #7

why not just keep the st martin registration an buy yourself a year to get this sorted out?
lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 14:08   #8

Boat: J/42

Are you sure that your boat does not qualify? Or were the forms just not filled out correctly? Some pretty small boats appear to meet the "5 Net Ton" criterion. It's kind of an esoteric calculation - not the same thing as displacement. In any case, trying again would probably take many weeks.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 14:16   #9

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
A scanner, photoshop, a decent color printer, a friend with the appropriate piece of paperwork, and some nice heavy beige paper will get you a temporary piece of paper that will do the job (everywhere but the one (?) country that has a realtime data link to US CBP).
Don't forget the right font! www.dafont.com

Copying and moving around letters in the friend's scanned document is so tedious...
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 14:28   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster8 View Post
Are you sure that your boat does not qualify? Or were the forms just not filled out correctly? Some pretty small boats appear to meet the "5 Net Ton" criterion. It's kind of an esoteric calculation - not the same thing as displacement. In any case, trying again would probably take many weeks.
I submitted the initial paperwork, it took them two weeks to look at it, then they responded with a request for vessel measurements, and a form for me to fill out. I filled out the measurements form correctly, and after another few weeks they replied saying the vessel didn't meet the 5-ton requirement. So I'm not really sure -- I guess I could have lied and said it was more had I known.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lars View Post
why not just keep the st martin registration an buy yourself a year to get this sorted out?
I think we had it removed because the USCG requires it to be removed, but I'll have to double check.

I also don't think I could do an Oregon registration, because according to their website, the boat would need to be inspected... which would be quite impossible.
Old 01-06-2017, 15:03   #11

Ah.

Looking at the vessel dimensions form, I believe I gave them the draft, instead of the overall height of the vessel, which are significantly different.
Old 01-06-2017, 15:35   #12

Boat: Outbound 44

What boat is it?
Old 01-06-2017, 15:47   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryban View Post
Ah.

Looking at the vessel dimensions form, I believe I gave them the draft, instead of the overall height of the vessel, which are significantly different.
Can't speak for US admeasurement but in Canada, UK, BVI, Costa Rica, Honduras, Panama and Belize the "depth of Hull" is measured in a vertical line admidships from the top of the gunwhale to the bottom of the hull exclusive of the keel.

I'm a Transport Canada Appointed Tonnage Measurer accepted in the countries noted.
Old 01-06-2017, 15:50   #14

Boat: Garcia Passoa 50, ex Dix 38 pilothouse

Langkawi registration. No inspection needed, pay for up to 10 years at once

Paul jackson @ yacht broker charter in Langkawi can do it quickly
lamadriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 15:55   #15

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryban View Post
Ah.

Resubmit with corrections (make certain that the tonnage is "correct") and a note of your itinerary and time is of the essence. When I submitted our documentation I had to make a correction and it got turned around quickly.

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
documentation, men