Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2019, 16:36   #1

Boat: Nonsuch 354
USCG documentation & fees

I just closed on the purchase of a used sailboat on 31 July. I have a notarized Bill of Sale as required. I also have the current documentation which the owner signed over to me, much like you do a car title.

Do I need to send both the BofS and the old certificate of documentation, or just the BofS? What is the fee to send with the BoS? This sounds pretty basic, but I don't find the USCG site helpful or clear, which is particularly puzzling given how common this type of transaction is is.

The fee is particularly confusing. Depending on how you read the fee schedule it could be $84, $15 or $8 per page.

I would welcome a customer service phone number so I could simply call and ask, but I don't find anything like that on the site either. There is apparently a huge backlog on certificate renewals, so I don't want make it worse by not send the right documentation and fees.

Anyone with first hand info on what exactly is needed?

Thanks
dadster3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 16:47   #2

Boat: Gemini 105Mc
Re: USCG documentation & fees

USCG Documentation is $26.00 per year. There is no fee per page.
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 17:21   #3

I think $26 is the fee to renew an already existing Certificate of Documentation. That is not the case I'm asking about.
Old 02-08-2019, 17:24   #4

Boat: Catalina 320

There is a phone number available, I've always left a message and they get back promptly, usually a Lt.jg.
https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Our-Organiz...-Contact-Info/
Quote:
When the sale is finalized you may complete a U.S. Coast Guard Bill of Sale (CG-1340) or complete the “Sale or Transfer of Vessel” section on the reverse of the Certificate of Documentation (CG-1270).
I've always just used method 2, the transfer on back, make a copy to keep. Fee is $84 for "exchange of documentation.
https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/D...e_Schedule.pdf
And this form:
https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/D...-09-113142-067
Make copy of the application also, that and bill of sale, check to CG, and old doc are gonna be your ship's papers for a couple months maybe, I hear the doc center is backed up.
Calif.Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 17:34   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadster3 View Post
I just closed on the purchase of a used sailboat on 31 July. I have a notarized Bill of Sale as required. I also have the current documentation which the owner signed over to me, much like you do a car title.

Do I need to send both the BofS and the old certificate of documentation, or just the BofS? What is the fee to send with the BoS? This sounds pretty basic, but I don't find the USCG site helpful or clear, which is particularly puzzling given how common this type of transaction is is.

The fee is particularly confusing. Depending on how you read the fee schedule it could be $84, $15 or $8 per page.

I would welcome a customer service phone number so I could simply call and ask, but I don't find anything like that on the site either. There is apparently a huge backlog on certificate renewals, so I don't want make it worse by not send the right documentation and fees.

Anyone with first hand info on what exactly is needed?

Thanks

I have found the USCG folks remarkably helpful on phone. What you want to do should be easily done with a bit of their help.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 04:41   #6

Thanks, that is exactly what I needed to know. I will call them just to make sure and to suggest that it would be helpful if that cleared all this up on their website.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:00   #7

Boat: Pearson 367 Cutter

I just did it. Send in $84.00, copy of the BOS, old Document and the CG form (I forget the number) called exchange of Document and wait. I have been waiting for over two months.
hooligan6a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 19:03   #8
Marine Service Provider

Assuming you used the USCG bill-of-sale Form CG-1340 you should be good to go. If you have the original builders certificate send that it too. I think if you use the credit card option they may calculate the charge for you.

Sorry they don't answer the phones anymore, you are about five years too late for that level of service. Now that they charge for renewals you would thing some of that money would go for personal service.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 06:43   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan6a View Post
I just did it. Send in $84.00, copy of the BOS, old Document and the CG form (I forget the number) called exchange of Document and wait. I have been waiting for over two months.
I submitted my paperwork in April of this year & just got my COD papers yesterday, still at the box where my sister picked it up... not even on board yet...LOL..... gives you an idea how long it takes, bit over 4 months
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 07:52   #10

Boat: Hanse 430e

I hope this helps someone. I also recently bought a boat, but I bought in Malta and applied for USCG Certificate of Documentation. I am a US citizen

Do not send any original documents that you want to ever see again. That is what they told me when I called. I sent a signed application CG-1258, a copy of the BOS that was notarized, a copy of the builders certificate attached to the Application For Simplified Measurement CG-5397 and a copy of the Removal from Registration from Malta.

They recieved the package on July 26th and on the 30th I emailed them and was told that they were working on recreational applications received on the 15 of July.

I sent $8.00 for the one page BOS, $133.00 for the initial documentation and $26.00 for additional renewal. These are the fees listed at the bottom of the instructions for initial documentation.
Dogscout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
documentation, fees, men