Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2011, 10:59   #1

USCG Auxiliary

Has anyone any experience with it?
What could you gain from it?
Capt. lulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 11:08   #2

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753
Re: USCG Auxiliary

We bought our catamaran last fall and moved it to the Columbia River right next to a CG station. We really didn't want to be stopped by the local yocal's while our sails are up to check our Documented boat, so we contacted the CG aux to come by the dock and do a thuro check and give us a CG aux sticker for our boat. Together with finding out our flairs were out of date and replaceing them, we have not been checked by any of the local sherriff's dept boats or any CG boats. I think it was a great idea to contact the CG Aux for there help.
Old 28-07-2011, 11:12   #3

To clarify, I mean has anyone been an auxiliarist or know if it's beneficial/worth it for any sailing experience?
Old 28-07-2011, 11:15   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

gives some the license to bully others in a strange land, i have found. as was happening in the moorings i left in april. i still have sand in my derailleur of my bike due to them (canadian uscg aux member who has a documented history if bullying folks down the coast of kali)
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 11:18   #5

Boat: Santana 2023 - Impulsive II

I looked into joining when I was working in Florida as a pilot and hoped to lend my services especially since my boss was willing to keep a helicopter on standbye for me to use. I went to a few meetings and to me, that particular flotilla was a joke. Now, Im not saying ALL auxies are, but these guys had their guts hanging over the belts with buttons screaming for mercy on the shirts and it just seemed like another day at the VFW. People sitting around talking about what event they were planning etc etc. They were so hard up for people yet they told me I needed to pay for all my training through them which at the time was not an option ( dunk testing, training with one of their pilots, pay for my own physical and uniforms and such ). They put the cherry on the sundea when they told me I was ineligable because I had missed a charity bingo event or something like that. By the way , i lived over an hour from the flotilla and had work that day. Again, Im not speaking about ALL of CGA, and I know they provide great assistance to everyone on the water, but for me it was not worth it.
E.L.Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 11:24   #6

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

Most all CG aux folks use motor boats and don't think much of sail boats or sailors so NO we've never even made friends or know that gang of small minds and big motors. I'd have to agree the CG Aux can abuse there limited power over others because they can.
Old 28-07-2011, 11:27   #7
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by webejammin View Post
Most all CG aux folks use motor boats and don't think much of sail boats or sailors so NO we've never even made friends or know that gang of small minds and big motors. I'd have to agree the CG Aux can abuse there limited power over others because they can.
is fun to watch em flaunt the regulations they try to insist on maintaining for others..LOl--as they speed thru an anchorage or mooring field and cause wakes in no wake zones. even seen em try to run over a kayaker in their way one day--was intriguing.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 11:34   #8

I think from what I've heard so far, this is a dead end.
Old 28-07-2011, 11:42   #9

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

You might want to verify whether the Auxiliary makes people pay for their own training -- if the training is free, then it could be worth something. And, you could easily get on the newsletter distribution for a local flotilla to get a feel for it before investing in attending any meetings.
Old 28-07-2011, 11:47   #10

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Quote:
canadian uscg aux member who has a documented history if bullying folks down the coast of kali
I thought you had to be a US citizen to join the USCG Auxiliary.
Old 28-07-2011, 12:01   #11

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

wow!!!! the blind leading the blind...

go to the USCG home site and look up auxilliary...the go visit the local flotilla and get the facts from the horses mouth....for the most part...great people.

My own concern with the USCGAux is why they won't answer the question where the money goes from their NJ boating safety certificate classes. I teach the same class and their overhead is a fraction of ours. If legit...then spill the beans...if not then jail time is too good for the abusers.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 12:09   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
go to the USCG home site and look up auxilliary...the go visit the local flotilla and get the facts from the horses mouth....
An advertisement will tell you all the things you want to know in order to buy the product. I assume that the USCG (reserve/aux, or any branch of the military for that matter) wants you. I don't like advertisements. I like customer reviews.
Old 28-07-2011, 12:15   #13

Boat: Sold the boat. Buying a van.

The USCG Auxilliary was discussed at length in a previous thread: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ity-48435.html
Below is a combination of a couple of posts I made in that thread (with some edits and additions).

Here in Alaska, as you might imagine, the regular USCG is spread very thin, over a vast area. The Auxillary helps provide much of the routine SAR coverage for the more popular recreational boating areas. The USCG has provided several local Auxillary Flotillas with highly capable "SAFEboats" to use in patrol activities. They are the closest formal SAR presence in Western Prince William Sound, and have helped many boaters in trouble. I believe the Whittier Flotilla was the first in the nation to recieve one of these boats. The really difficult missions get turned over to the regular USCG, but lots of the easier stuff gets handled by the Auxilliary. See Unit Home for some history. Teaching boating classes to the public is also an important mission. If you get tired of idiot boaters who don't have a clue about the rules of the road, then you should applaud the Auxilliary's efforts! Also, getting a inspection and sticker from the Auxilliary, at a time of your convenience, may avoid getting stopped for inspection at some less convenient time/place.

Having spent many days out on our cold Alaskan water (in kayaks, skiffs, and sailing) I am damn glad they are around. I know some of the Auxilliary folks personally, and they are good people who volunteer their own time (for free) to the public. Are they as good as the regular USCG? No, not by a long stretch. However they do fill an important niche, and they free up the regular USCG to handle the tougher missions. While perhaps not all Auxilliary units are up to snuff, the ones I have observed do a good job. And they do it on their own time, an in large part with their own money.

But then I am obviously biased about volunteer organizations, since I volunteer as part of an onshore wilderness SAR group. While we get some equipment support from the State of Alaska (hand held radios and such), we buy all of our own personal gear (which often gets trashed on missions) and give up many evenings and weekends for training. The real deal call outs almost always come at the most inconvenient times, but we go anyway.

Maybe instead of complaining and putting others down, you should consider joining some volunteer organization in your area?
Old 28-07-2011, 12:32   #14

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_sailor View Post
The USCG Auxilliary was discussed at length in a previous thread: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ity-48435.html
Below is a combination of a couple of posts I made in that thread (with some edits and additions).

Here in Alaska, as you might imagine, the regular USCG is spread very thin, over a vast area. The Auxillary helps provide much of the routine SAR coverage for the more popular recreational boating areas. The USCG has provided several local Auxillary Flotillas with highly capable "SAFEboats" to use in patrol activities. They are the closest formal SAR presence in Western Prince William Sound, and have helped many boaters in trouble. I believe the Whittier Flotilla was the first in the nation to recieve one of these boats. The really difficult missions get turned over to the regular USCG, but lots of the easier stuff gets handled by the Auxilliary. See Unit Home for some history. Teaching boating classes to the public is also an important mission. If you get tired of idiot boaters who don't have a clue about the rules of the road, then you should applaud the Auxilliary's efforts! Also, getting a inspection and sticker from the Auxilliary, at a time of your convenience, may avoid getting stopped for inspection at some less convenient time/place.

Having spent many days out on our cold Alaskan water (in kayaks, skiffs, and sailing) I am damn glad they are around. I know some of the Auxilliary folks personally, and they are good people who volunteer their own time (for free) to the public. Are they as good as the regular USCG? No, not by a long stretch. However they do fill an important niche, and they free up the regular USCG to handle the tougher missions. While perhaps not all Auxilliary units are up to snuff, the ones I have observed do a good job. And they do it on their own time, an in large part with their own money.

But then I am obviously biased about volunteer organizations, since I volunteer as part of an onshore wilderness SAR group. While we get some equipment support from the State of Alaska (hand held radios and such), we buy all of our own personal gear (which often gets trashed on missions) and give up many evenings and weekends for training. The real deal call outs almost always come at the most inconvenient times, but we go anyway.

Maybe instead of complaining and putting others down, you should consider joining some volunteer organization in your area?
If you are talking to me...you have the wrong guy...

I was 23 years active duty and just want the truth.

I spent 2 years in Kodiak risking my butt in the Bearing Sea....so I don't have a problem with helpers...I just don't like corruption and just want the truth. I never got a dirty dime so the truth is a good thing.

Capt lulz....As far as advertisement...look at the surface and then go and visit a flotilla meeting to see the real thing...what's wrong with that advice??? Most of the advice from the internet without personal checking is COMPLETELY useless anyhow....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 12:50   #15

Boat: Santana 2023 - Impulsive II

Blind leading the blind?? They asked if anyone had any experiences with them and alot of people answered. I answered my experiences and thought it was rediculous they didnt want me because I missed bingo night and had to be trained by a pilot less qualified by me who wasnt even rotorcraft rated. Sailng experience? non existant with that flotilla and most didnt even have any certifications beside boaters safety
E.L.Green is offline   Reply With Quote