Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2019, 14:03   #16

Re: USA entry Visa and additional documents

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasse_A View Post
Thanks Kelkara for explaining.
But what if you get an ESTA by going by ferry from BVi to USVI ?
When you go back to BVI isn't the ESTA then canceled by the carrier ?
/Hans
Per the Noonsite website: http://https://www.noonsite.com/Coun...rc=Formalities

If travelling between the US Virgin Islands and the British Virgin Islands be sure you clear out of, and then into, the next territory.
I would check with the ferry company to determine if they perform the check out or whether you need to clear through customs and / or immigration at the USVI separate from the ferry service.

If planning on going over to the BVI and then return to the USVI, use the new ROAM App for clearing.

CBP office with clearance from last port ships papers, and all passports.

Edward Wilmoth Blyden Marine Terminal, St. Thomas: Daily 8 am-5 pm, call 877 305 8774
Cruz Bay CBP Terminal, St. John: Daily 7 am-6 pm, call 877 305 8775 See report regarding new facility.
Gallows Bay, St. Croix: 8 am-5 pm Monday-Friday, call 340 773 1011

After hours arrivals: call 340 773 1490;

Just be sure to transit between the USVI and the BVI before a wall is built between them.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2019, 15:00   #17

Boat: Hullmaster 27
Re: USA entry Visa and additional documents

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasse_A View Post
Thanks Kelkara for explaining.
But what if you get an ESTA by going by ferry from BVi to USVI ?
When you go back to BVI isn't the ESTA then canceled by the carrier ?
/Hans
They would have had no problem if they had arrived in the USVI by plane or ferry ... they would have been allowed in under a visa waiver for another 90 days ... The ESTA is still valid for two years (but you can't get a visa waiver if you arrive by private boat).

On terminology: You do not "Get an ESTA" at the border, the ESTA is a "document" you get at home weeks or months before travelling. The "document" you get at the border is correctly called an I94 or I94W. We know what you mean by "Get an ESTA on the ferry" but if you start talking to immigration officials they will need to use the correct terms. It was a bit more obvious in the past when they actually gave you a piece of paper labeled "I94" with an expiry date written on it, but now it's all electronic.

You can check your I94 here: https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home

90 days is the maximum you can get with a visa waiver ... if they want to, they can give you less ... so don't count days, look at the expiry date ... especially if you've been in and out of the USA and are trying to get as many days as possible.

I don't know exactly how it all works ... it seems the immigration officer they met would have been happy to let them continue using their New York entry (even though they left the USA on the flight to Grenada) but unfortunately it was over 90 days ago. So maybe CBP can "un-cancel" the I94 if they want to ... but they can't change its validity.

If in doubt ... phone them up (or visit their office) and ask.
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men