Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-02-2016, 08:27   #31

Boat: 2001 Catalina 400 MKII
Send a message via MSN to CCR2580
Re: US East Coast must see stops

Charleston SC, Savannah GA and St Augustine FL. All great historical and accessible marinas.

Old 19-02-2016, 08:52   #32

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Gee I kind of expected some of this, but thanks for the NON HELP.
Thank you for your support!

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 08:53   #33

Boat: Catalina-Morgan 504

It depends on what you want/like. Hustle and bustle? History? Great food? Bars? Whatever....
If you want quiet walks down history laden streets packed with old houses and trees draped with Spanish moss and a small yet vibrant shopping area, you might try Beaufort SC.
Old 19-02-2016, 09:00   #34

Boat: Cal 28-II

Don't miss the inner harbor at Baltimore, if you like baseball, you can Uber quickly to the stadium. In Mystic Connecticut, you must see the maritime museum. There are lots of great little towns along the Chesapeake, too.
Old 19-02-2016, 09:00   #35

Boat: working toward a Privilege 51

Two that I haven't seen mentioned.

Mount Vernon - right on the Potomac, not sure if you can doc near it or not? They have public tour boats pull up...

Yorktown - I think they have re-enactments of the siege at Yorktown. We went to one, but it may have been a special occasion. Massive amounts of people in the re-enactment.

~ Following Cs ~
Old 19-02-2016, 09:03   #36

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Gee I kind of expected some of this, but thanks for the NON HELP.
Seriously, as an adult, don't you think this is one post you could have avoided making? If my suggestion was of no use to you, why could you just not have ignored it?
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 09:14   #37

Boat: Leopard 40

You'll love CT. Especially Essex and that area. Stop in Block Island as well. I'm not a fan of the Norfolk area.
Old 19-02-2016, 09:32   #38

Boat: Passport

We have 42' with 6.3 draft and 59' air draft. After being told it would be very difficult going on inside do to shoaling etc as well by several folks n some of the reading material. After talking to folks that have actually recently done the same got positive feedback. After reading and studying using the mentioned guides we left Annapolis Oct on AICW. Active Captain was a huge help as well as Intercoastal Waterway Chartbook, along with Waterway Guide. Main thing is your air draft for bridges along the way which you didn't mention. We paid attention, in mentioned shallows we always went on rising tides. We made it!! We bumped twice which was our fault do to the "squarle" pheonomina. We anchored out alot, took our time, saw all places mentioned above previous posts, took 2 months to get to St Augustine. Had a ball!! Have fun!!!!
Old 19-02-2016, 09:51   #39
I promise to put my pants on

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

I have a 58.5' height and feel I can do the AICW as long as I stay out of the swamp.

Would be helpful if people say why they feel a stop is good by saying what there is to see there. I have found that guidebooks tend to tell you the best thing to see in places, but that is based on that you are there and not that they really worth the trip just to see them (I know how to use Trip Adviser and Yelp).

BTW - I can not be south of GA till Dec unless I change my insurance. I'll probably stop in and stay in St Augustine for Dec/Christmas, even though I've probably been there 20 times, because my wife is from that area and she would like to do Christmas with her family. So I'll probably take 3.5 months to get from Boston to St Augustine.
Old 19-02-2016, 09:56   #40

Boat: working toward a Privilege 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by FollowingCs View Post
Two that I haven't seen mentioned.

Mount Vernon - right on the Potomac, not sure if you can doc near it or not? They have public tour boats pull up...

Yorktown - I think they have re-enactments of the siege at Yorktown. We went to one, but it may have been a special occasion. Massive amounts of people in the re-enactment.
Looks like Mount Vernon is accessible by private boats:

Wharf Policy¬*¬∑¬*George Washington's Mount Vernon

I think I gave fair descriptions of the activities, but for a little more info:
Mount Vernon is a pretty quick tour of the actual house, maybe 20 minutes long. You have to get a 'ticket' for a particular time slot. But the grounds are full of indoor and outdoor museum style signs with all kinds of plantation info. The views are pretty dang cools too, overlooking the Potomac. There is a large park on the other side, so no commercial development.

Yorktown - I would only go if you can figure out the re-enactment schedule. Otherwise it is an outdoor fort type museum, like any other.

~ Following Cs ~
Old 19-02-2016, 10:02   #41

Boat: Pearson 28-1
US East Coast must see stops

Did a few of these stops on my way north but largely avoided the icw.

The pamlico sound was my favorite by far. If you're in ocracoke in early/mid August, the ocracoke fig festival is a grand time with square dancing and fig cake eating until your gut drops out. I may have dosie-do'd with a pretty girl or too, but I believe you're bringing your own. The beach is nice as well.

Charleston, SC and Beaufort, nc were also favorites. The tide coming in to the marina can play the jester in both places, so beware that. But if you like architecture, wandering streets, and great food, you can't go wrong in either place. The maritime museum in Beaufort is a can't miss, as is the one in st. Michael's, Maryland. Beaufort maritime has a great collection of old outboards, exhibits on the fishing and boat building industry, and on the search for Blackbeard. St michael's is very similar, without the Blackbeard but with the oyster wars. Hard to pick a favorite.

Would also recommend cape lookout, the abandoned village there was fun to poke around in, and also there's the nice beach. Plus, take your dinghy and explore the banks. For what it's worth though, we had more luck finding wild ponies on the little island opposite Beaufort than on the banks.

The cruiser stopovers of Elizabeth city and oriental were very nice places to stop, but I don't think have anything particular to recommend them, besides good people, amenities, and a chance to stop for a while.

Have fun, maybe I'll see you as I head north this summer. The Chesapeake is also fine in July and August, as is the pamlico. Don't know why anyone would think it's too hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 19-02-2016, 10:12   #42

Boat: Hartog 40

Some stops we have really enjoyed: Williamsburg, Va. We docked at Yorktown and used Lyft (approx $15. each way) to the Visitors Center. We bought the year pass in June, used it twice then and back again in the fall.

We've also anchored by Miss Liberty once and done GWB around to a City Island anchorage between 8pm and 1am. Awesome sight, elevated heart rate (water taxis, tug & barge or two etc, etc) We also enjoy anchoring at Essex on Ct River and heading to the Griswold Inn for Sunday Brunch and live jazz.
Old 19-02-2016, 10:13   #43

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

If you stop in Essex, CT make sure you look at the Essex Steam Train. For less than $20 you can go for a (short? - 15 miles or so round trip) ride. Or go for a "dinner train" (overrated IMHO). Husband's a steam nut, and I have to admit they're a blast.
Old 19-02-2016, 13:22   #44

Boat: Gemini 3000

You are always welcome here in Belhaven, NC. Its the proverbial golden spike of the ICW. Our jewel should be done soon, its under renovation, a huge mansion at River Forest Marina. Our small town has a museum and a couple excellent restaurants including Spoon River, look it up on Yelp. Great stop and welcoming people.
Old 19-02-2016, 14:30   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
No reservations. Always an empty mooring ball except 4th of July (dunno why, must be cheap cinema tickets that day??)

Ferries are further down harbour. There is some rock and roll but its an ocean going boat so its really quite flat. Current is strong...

$26 per day on the weekly rate, free shower, free laundry, free ice. Close to trains, busses etc.
Only downside is the useless bar above the marina will not let you sit and have a beer and look at your own boat unless you eat (obesity epidemic!). What wankers.
Excellent info.

May see you there for a month or 2.

Tags
east coast

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: