Re: US East Coast must see stops

Make sure you skip Miami Beach

Miami Beach Tows Away Two Dozen Dinghies | New Times Broward-Palm Beach

Old 18-02-2016, 17:52   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Come visit me!
I think I will be in NYC from mid June at 79th street. No history or museums but we can get drunk!!!

Norfolk is nice with some big port tour of grey ships.

Charleston, South Carolina is great. (Good this weekend for TRUMP, TRUMP, TRUMP) Shhhhhhhhh.

Savanah, Georgia. It's really creepy if u have just read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil.

Skip the rest.

You got a mooring reservation all lined up?

How are the wakes from the ferries?

Old 18-02-2016, 18:05   #18
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisersfarm View Post
You got a mooring reservation all lined up?

How are the wakes from the ferries?
No reservations. Always an empty mooring ball except 4th of July (dunno why, must be cheap cinema tickets that day??)

Ferries are further down harbour. There is some rock and roll but its an ocean going boat so its really quite flat. Current is strong...

$26 per day on the weekly rate, free shower, free laundry, free ice. Close to trains, busses etc.
Only downside is the useless bar above the marina will not let you sit and have a beer and look at your own boat unless you eat (obesity epidemic!). What wankers.
Old 18-02-2016, 18:08   #19

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Don't miss Savannah! You can stop on the ICW and most of the marina's in the area have courtesy cars so you don't have top go all the way up the river to the city.

Don't miss NASA at Cape Canaveral. Get tix early for the best tours.

IMO, the entirety of the ICW has a lot to offer. Oriental, Beaufort, Elizabethtown, Jekyl Island...it goes on and on. You could spend several seasons in the Chesapeake.
Old 18-02-2016, 18:32   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Maritime museum at St Michels

Naval academy museum in Annapolis

Smith and Tangier Islands

Museum at Solomans Island

Oxford, Md.
Old 18-02-2016, 18:55   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

The Maritime Museums in Beaufort, N.C. and Georgetown, S.C. are both worth while.
While in the Carolinas and Georgia one of my favorite pastimes is searching for the ultimate plate of shrimp and grits.
So far Georgetown, S.C. and St. Simons Is., Ga. are tied lol.
Old 18-02-2016, 19:12   #22

Besides the museum there in Solomons, if you sail up the Patuxent river about 5 miles across from St Leonard Ck, there is a southern plantation house and grounds that provides tours. I've anchored in St Leonard Ck and took the dinghy across the Patuxent to a landing that gave access to the plantation. Another suggestion would be St Mary's off the Potomac. Good historic site with tours and people in customs from the 1700's. The college there has good buffet meals in their cafeteria. I don't remember meals like that in the colleges I attended.
Old 18-02-2016, 19:19   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Martha's Vineyard.

Herreshoff Museum in Bristol RI. Stop by Newport and do the mansion walk along the cliffs but the town is pretty touristy.

Mystic Seaport.

NYC!!! You could spend a week or more there. MOMA, the Met, see a show and FOOD FOOD FOOD: Carnegie Deli, Grimaldi's Pizza, Sushiden to mention a few.

Washington DC. Smithsonian, all the monuments, find a few politicians to sneer at and tell them what bums they all are.

Charleston SC. Lots of good places to eat. Watch the currents in the marinas when the tide is changing.

Savannah.

St Augustine. Sure, why not. Guess I've just been there too many times but certainly worth a stop if you haven't been there.

Kennedy Space Center.
Old 18-02-2016, 20:48   #24

The Newport mansions, then up to Bristol RI to see the Herreshoff Musuem. Spectacular you could spend a long time in that place, it has an amazing history. You can rent a transient mooring from the museum. Bristol is also a nice walking town with many pristine period Victorian and prior homes beautifully restored and maintained on tree lined streets, a few interesting shops and restaurants.
Old 18-02-2016, 20:53   #25

Connecticut River Museum in Essex CT. Worth a stop and Essex is another nice walking town with a few interesting shops, restaurants and parks with nice river views.
Old 18-02-2016, 21:00   #26

Mystic Seaport is a bit too touristy, imho. But if you go there I recommend you call ahead for a slip or anchor in the river then land your dinghy early in the morning. Walk around the park before it opens and you can watch the blacksmith start his fire and set up. He's a really interesting guy and enjoys educating. downtown Mystic on both sides of the river near the drawbridge is nice.
Old 18-02-2016, 21:57   #27

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

I'll plus1 Savannah...enjoy the town and get a tour of the Gulfstream factory. Remember the tide affects the river depth. Glad your finally gonna go...envy envy.
Old 18-02-2016, 23:31   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Boatless Again

All stops mentioned were good, but you have to consider the weather as well. The Chesapeake is too hot in July and August, and you probably don't want to get there till late September. Then you may have to skip some spots going south because even northern Florida can get cold by Dec 1.
Old 19-02-2016, 00:10   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

sailorboy

sail up the Hudson river to West Point (lots of history and tours etc). I don't know if they are still there, but when I was a kid the "mothball" fleet was anchored up in the river. Miles and miles of WWII ships that had been mothballed and could be recommissioned in a hurry if need be (I think the New Jersey was in the mothball fleet and recommisssioned by Reagan)

Anyway the trip up the Hudson should be a good one. Tons of history on the way besides West Point.

We're crossing the pond this fall and will be in the carribean next winter. Stay in touch and maybe we can hoist a wet one or two

carsten
Old 19-02-2016, 00:12   #30

Boat: Custom 43ft Steel Ketch but looking at catamarans....

Excellent thread! We have a couple of ICW guides but it's always great to get local knowledge for our trip down the East Coast in 2017 (got way-layed in Europe, otherwise we'd be moored somewhere near MarkJ now).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
No reservations. Always an empty mooring ball except 4th of July (dunno why, must be cheap cinema tickets that day??)

Ferries are further down harbour. There is some rock and roll but its an ocean going boat so its really quite flat. Current is strong...

$26 per day on the weekly rate, free shower, free laundry, free ice. Close to trains, busses etc.
Only downside is the useless bar above the marina will not let you sit and have a beer and look at your own boat unless you eat (obesity epidemic!). What wankers.
Keep us posted on how staying there goes - I'm guessing you're staying for a bit? We'll need somewhere to park up for hurricane season and figured NY might be a pretty safe bet....

n

ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
east coast

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: