Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2015, 10:11   #31
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Urgent HELP!!

Roger-
The are solenoids sold for household plumbing, required by new building codes to prevent flooding. They hook up to a washing machine's water and electric lines, and when there is no power being drawn by the washing machine, they shut down the water line.
You might be able to get one that hooks up to hose fittings (since many washing machines use the same fitting) and then the only question is what electric line to connect it to. Perhaps your pressure water pump (via a relay) so that when you are not drawing water, it shuts off the supply?
Or just use the city supply to refill your tanks, as needed.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 10:32   #32

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Elsewhere View Post
.................... Most people have assumed the risk of a normally closed solenoid valve functioning properly to keep their washing machine from flooding their homes. It is a very common, reliable, and not very complex system device....................
But a leak in a house won't normally sink it or totally destroy it.

A 120 volt solenoid is not a good choice for this intended application on a boat because the bilge switch and switch wiring would have to meet the requirements for 120 volt wiring. I suppose a sump pump switch could be used but 12 volt DC operation would be simpler.
Old 24-04-2015, 10:36   #33
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"but 12 volt DC operation would be simpler. "
Right, and since I only know that these parts are made for 120VAC, that's why I suggested a relay, which might be all that's needed to make it work on 12V, of the AC/DC sensing isn't a problem. Running on AC shouldn't be an issue with dockside power.

Whether the gizmos exist for 12VDC? You'd have to ask an RV supplier.
Old 24-04-2015, 11:24   #34

Lots of 12 Volt NC solenoids are here.
St. Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 11:42   #35

Since we're treading dangerously near the edge of the absurd here, instead of shutting off the water after there's a leak and it's starting to accumulate in the bilge and has possibly already caused other damage, why don't we just connect the solenoid to a series of motion detectors so water can enter the boat only if people are on board and moving around?

Or "KISS", unhook the hose after the tanks are full.
Old 24-04-2015, 11:53   #36
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Some of those 12v solenoids at Amazon even look like they might be "hose" threaded. Of course, you'd still have to cobble the parts together, if an RV dealer had a pre-cobbled kit, that would be simpler.

RW, attaching controls to a motion sensor surely must be sarcasm. I couldn't think of a better way to complicate the wiring, circuitry, and maintenance when nothing like that is needed.

Reminds me of the first time (way before they were a commodity item) when I met an IR-sensing water faucet in a bathroom sink. Ergh....HTF do I turn this thing ON?
Old 24-04-2015, 12:12   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
......... RW, attaching controls to a motion sensor surely must be sarcasm................
I guess sometimes I need to spell it out.

But seriously, wouldn't it be better to prevent the leak and filling the boat with water in the first place than shutting off the water after the leak?
Old 24-04-2015, 12:43   #38
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"wouldn't it be better to prevent the leak"
Sure. Inspecting and changing all the flex hoses on schedule might prevent the leak, as would disconnecting the water.
The solenoids don't "prevent" a leak, they just make it highly unlikely that a leak can occur when there's no device actively anticipating water flow. If there's a leak downstream of them and the monitored device (washing machine, icemaker, etc.) turns on, the leak will still be there anyway, won't it?

If you don't have indoor plumbing you'll never need a plumber at overtime prices on a holiday weekend.(G)
Old 24-04-2015, 15:45   #39

OK, guess we beat this one to death.

Thanks for the one reply, too, much appreciated. I didn't take it personally (too much).

Hey, where is that sarcasm emoticon?

His boat, his choice. "Once burned, twice shy" seems not to apply.

Please, don't start with rhymes or poetry.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote