Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2016, 07:51   #91

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: Unoccupied Drifting Yacht- What to Do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I suspect RWidman would also have tried to help, if he had felt that he could manage to do something. If you can't do anything, or if you can't do anything without unreasonable risks to yourself or your own boat, then of course, no one would blame you..
The boat had a toll free telephone number painted on the side so we called it. They didn't answer and they never returned our call.
Old 05-09-2016, 13:38   #92

The 4th amendment only applies to governmental agencies like the police. It does not pertain to private individuals entering your home or boarding your vessel if that is your home. It's their 2nd amendment rights you have to worry about. The right to bear arms. If it is in fact their home then the castle doctrine may come into play.
firekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 14:06   #93

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
The boat had a toll free telephone number painted on the side so we called it. They didn't answer and they never returned our call.
Ron,

You seem to have a hard on for the CG. Write your Senator and Congressman. Tim and probably Mark, are yours, might help get the CG funding for other than drug interdiction. Forget Lindsey He won't do ****

Inside the Colregs all the municipalities have a fleet.

JMHO,
Roger
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 14:51   #94

Boat: Hartley Sth Seas 38'

Quote:
Originally Posted by firekt View Post
It's their 2nd amendment rights you have to worry about. The right to bear arms. If it is in fact their home then the castle doctrine may come into play.
Geez, so glad we have none of that here. Our cops don't even have guns on them. We have an Armed offenders squad for the rough stuff, but our local bobbies have to request access to a gun from above if a situation gets sticky. Mostly our guns are hunting rifles because, wild pigs, and seasonally you can cull ducks or possum. Of course we have idiots who use them illegally but weghing that up, I'm glad we dont have guns all over the place like a mad women's sh%t
We also can't sue each other here which helps when considering whether to help each other as best one can and we have CG who happily come help. It's cheaper if you become a member ($145 ?? annually ) as one can just quote your membership number and get any help required but they also will help strangers (albeit they are voluntary so gathering everyone out of work or whatever can take time) anf if you aren't a member they ask for a fee. But they will try help find the owner. The downside is anyone can own a boat and no proof of ownership is needed. When buying ours online we asked for and only got a receipt as proof of ownership. That's all we have. Oh and mooring ownership that is registered with the Regional Council. That's it!
Yeah, yeah ,I know, off subject. as you were.......
Sofie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 15:52   #95

This situation should be obvious I would help without putting myself in danger...I.E. call coast guard. Blast horn at vessel and then try to retrieve and anchor it.

I am a Great Lakes Sailor in Chicago and by Law I have to help a vessel that is in peril. A grounded vessel would be considered as such-A person could be knocked out below deck. If I leave the vessel and do nothing then I am in fact breaking the law. If while helping the vessel something happens there are laws that protect me.
dan925 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yacht