Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.43 average. Display Modes
Old 17-02-2005, 15:24   #46
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
I can find south. It is getting south that could be a problem.
Old 17-02-2005, 22:42   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
And it's up hill for you guy's too

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Old 20-02-2005, 13:22   #48
Old Salts

very strange log entry...

I read their logs sometime ago and this particular entry caught my eye;

“Today I was once again reminded how very little I know about boats. I was looking at a West Marine catalog for a winch cleaning and regreasing kit. So I'm looking at it and it keeps talking about 1 or 2 speed winches. My winches didn't seem to fit the 1 speed category, but they were saying that the 2 speed winches should be able to crank in either direction. One direction is at a 1:1 gear ratio meaning for every turn of the winch handle the drum makes one revolution. And the other direction is like a 6:1 ratio. So I go over to one of the winches and turn it counterclockwise. Sure enough it spins at a 6:1 ratio. I have been raising the main by turning the winch clockwise. Meaning of course that I am spinning the winch about 6 times more than I need to be! Moron! No wonder I would be so exhausted by the time I got the main all the way up. In my defense, the winches were both broken before I took them apart the other day and I'm 90% sure that the 2 speed cycle wasn't working before. Of course that just shows again that I should have fixed them earlier. Anyway, I'm now looking forward to the next time I get to crank up the main.”

How is it that they could sail from Florida, through the Bahamas, through the Panama Canal, to the Galapagos and be en-route to the Marquesas before realizing that some winches on their boat have 2 speeds? This just doesn’t make sense.
Old 21-02-2005, 11:07   #49

Boat: Tayana 37
Send a message via Yahoo to ughmo2000
I've followed Bumfuzzle's logs for some time and can't believe the negitivity they've encountered here. (jealousy maybe?)

Yes, they're unexperienced and yes, they may have been "lucky" but they've done what thousands of others, (and many here) have done or wish to do. They've got themselves a boat and did what they dreamed, moving aboard and sailing. At a very young age to boot.

Look at how many boats you see "permanently" tied to the docks? At the least, they deserve the respect of others for having the cohonies to go their own way, follow their own path.

Regardless if they're learning along the way, they've had problems with their boat and the builder should stand behind their product, not doubletalk and dodge. How loud would you be screaming we're you to have similar problems?

From their logs they're obviously good, decent people. If you read the e-mail exchange with Charter Cats they've constantly remained civil and shown respect due others.

Why not cut em some slack and help/teach them rather than criticize?

Cliff
Old 22-02-2005, 00:12   #50

Well said cliff and I agree. Greg.
Old 22-02-2005, 10:11   #51
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

hey Ozskip, did you see you have mail?

Old 03-03-2005, 06:08   #52

Location: Currently based near Jacksonville FL; WHOOSH's homeport is St. Pete, FL USA
Boat: WHOOSH, Pearson 424 Ketch
My wish...

This thread is developing into an interesting read in its own right. One observation I notice is missing to date is putting BUMFUZZLE's misadventures into the context of a full circumnavigation. All the hard parts lie ahead, while the Coconut Milk Run has a relatively well-deserved name.

My wish for Pat & Ali is that they sail NNW from NZ via Tonga before heading to Oz - certainly not try it straight across the Tasman Sea - and after enjoying the Coral Coast, ship the boat to either the Med or the States, depending on their remaining interest in cruising and the size of their residual kitty. I'm especially concerned about the Malacca Straits & either the Red Sea or South Africa as sailing grounds for these willing but unskilled sailors.

My hunch is that something of this nature - a trucated voyage - will soon look like a reasonable alternative for them. However, once past the SoPac, they get to swallow the whole enchilada.

Jack
Old 03-03-2005, 10:44   #53
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yeeuup. I think I have read that they haven't experianced anything more than 30knts yet. Well the Tasmin will change that I bet. I had a reply to an Email I sent them a while back. Inviting them to sail down to the two most breathtaking parts of our country. I mean, one of these places is considered the eight wonder of the world. Why on earth even come to NZ if you can't se the place. Their reply was they were on a tight schedule and wouldn't have time. That is truely sad. If they aren't going to see the world they a sailing around, they may just as well sail in a circle around their home harbour, till they clock up the same miles as a circumnavigation.

Old 17-03-2005, 10:54   #54
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I can't believe it. I got this very rude Email from this couple last night. They have taken my reply totally out of context. OR there so called freind that told them about it has. How rude. They obviousely haven't read all the threads themselves, as they would have seen the ones where I was supporting them, and they would have seen the context of the posts in which we were all talking here.
Well I know for fact from both this board and a Live Sound BB that I have been party to for many years, that not ALL Americans are like that. I have made some very close freinds of Americans over the years. But sheesh, these two have a lot to learn about being guest's in someone elses country.
Sorry for the vent, but it disapointed me big time.

Old 17-03-2005, 22:38   #55

Wheels, I am sure that if that couple have read your posts, they would have react differently. I also think that other posters that did criticize the couple did it in a good manner. The criticism was more professional than personal.
As a Newbie that also think about cruising in the not-so-far future, I myself thinking of how much experience is enough (I saw more than a few discussions about how much money is enough. But didn’t see any about how much experience is enough), I think this thread was very informative.
Old 18-03-2005, 11:41   #56
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks Yona.
I think this is a good time to bring up another point. If anyone is going to have a Public website of their endevours, they are opening themselves up to be a celebrity of form. Maybe of small form, but you have just entered a Public areana with your personal life. If you don't wish it to be Public, then keep you web address private among just the family and freinds you want to have follow your every step of the journey. So now they have made their lives public, they are going to have ones like us talk about them. Critique there every decision. Is it being criticle of them pesonally, Hell No, they are out there doing it. But for us here on this site, it is a means of critiqueing ourselves, useing the real life scenario of someone else.
I decided to read some more of where this couple had gone. They went right past my front door basically. My boat was moored in a little twon just down the road from where I live. And all I could read into there travels was a whine of how small and boring everything seemed to be. No wonder they are on a Wirlwind tour of the world. They must have an exciting life to get back to
Sorry, I am still slightly peeved at the response I got from them, especially after the Email I sent them some time back giving them a warm welcome to our country, and that if they happend to be in my area, catch up and I would teach them how to splice a rope or two. The reply was, they were too busy by the way.

Old 18-03-2005, 17:46   #57

Boat: Privilege 37
Wheels;

So when I am in your part of the world, I'll stop in and you can teach me to splice? That and see your electircal work.

Keith
Old 18-03-2005, 21:30   #58

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Different folks

Alan, all societies have their share of good folks and idiots and everything in between. The reason there are so many Yankees that may cause us grief is because there are so many of them. But they also have more nice people for the same reason. Can you believe that there are more nice Yankees than there are Kiwis in total. It's scary I know. And I think, in fact I am sure that there are more boats in the US than there are people in NZ. Some of the larger boating areas have about one million boats registered. They can't play rugby but they try.
Michael
Old 18-03-2005, 21:44   #59
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yep I sure will teach you to splice. That'll be over a nice cool liquid refreshment.

Hey Mike, now that you have sampled Beer from both sides of the world, are the NZ brew's up there, or the US stuff prefered?
Oh and speaking of numbers, scince you've been gone Mike, there have been a few changes around here. We no longer have the 5 sheep to every Kiwi number. Farming took a downturn and a big change. It would be lucky if it was one for one now.
Rugby season has just got underway too. Yippeee!!!!!Real men, thats wot they are Brucey.

Old 19-03-2005, 07:20   #60

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Beer

Tenakoe. We get Steinlager here but I don't think it is a big seller. I buy European if I get it from the store or beer made by a small brewery locally. The North Americans drink mainly the mass produced stuff which is only drinkable if it is free. Small breweries and all over and that is preferred by folks with taste buds especially the Europeans. We have about 20 sheep on our property. We listed the place for sale a couple of days ago. If all goes well I will have more time for sailing later this year. I played for Suburbs RFC which is in Avondale in Auckland. Started in the 15 B in the early fifties. Would still be playing with the old guys here if I had the time. My boat is still on the trailer and I have been working on the keel making it smooth.
Michael
Closed Thread