Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.43 average. Display Modes
Old 11-02-2006, 16:07   #271
bum

love the bums

read the following post on the bumfuzzle site - got to love it!! Sorry to say but I sort of agree with the bumfuzzles - you guys have a fasination with them.

February 10, 2006

Back on the boat the other day we didn't have much to do so we went into Galle and got a few internet related projects done, picked up a handful of groceries, and ate some terrible Italian food. That was about the extent of our day, not too exciting. The internet was fun though. We got caught up on the latest postings about us on the internet bulletin boards. On one of them the subject of Bumfuzzle has become the most talked about posting there has ever been. One particularly funny post was by this crazy stalker-type guy from New Zealand. He has made over 50 comments about us but yet he still had this to say:

PLEASE PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING BEFORE REPLYING AND MAKING COMMENTS TO THIS THREAD.

THIS THREAD HAS BECOME SO LARGE AND COMPLEX, THAT UNLESS YOU READ EVERY POST IN CONTEXT, YOU RUN THE RISK OF MAKING A REPLY THAT WILL CAUSE MANY HEATED ARGUMENTS. I BELIEVE THE ABILITY TO READ ALL THE POSTS AND MAINTAIN CONTEXT HAS BECOME NEAR IMPOSSIBLE.

PLEASE LET THIS TOPIC DROP AND SINK TO THE BOTTOM, NEVER TO BE DREDGED TO THE SURFACE AGAIN.

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS POST.

Pretty funny huh? The guy can't stop talking about us yet he demands that everyone else on the bulletin board stop talking about us. He's like an alcoholic telling you to get this bottle of vodka out of his hands as he is gulping down another drink. Click here to check it out for yourself, though we warn you there is close to 300 postings and it will take you your entire day at work to get through it. http://www.cruisersforum.com/showthr...5&pagenumber=1
Old 11-02-2006, 18:07   #272

Boat: O'day 23 "Mon Ami"
Now Now....

To Bum:

I guess part of my question was answered. I think we may have one of the two visiting this website, and actively participating into this very discussion. Those poor souls should be alerted that they can't get anything... including a very long discussion about them. I just don't think they get it. Alan's remark has to do with the size of this thread, not with the topic at hand. Calling him a stalker-type is going a bit far... I can see why people are fed up with this thread, and I am sorry for posting anything here now, in retrospect. This one better be left alone.

People on this forum have to realise that in reality, interest in the bumfuzzled people and their website is actively milked here, and used as proof of popularity etc. Say no more.
Old 11-02-2006, 18:35   #273

Bum

C'mon mate tell the truth!Ya getting off on all this Bla Bla,otherwise ya wouldn't be reading it all.By the way Ronda is the person ya should be thanking when the time comes for all your'e notoriety and the signing of the book.Most replys I ever got was 10.If you and "Guns on board"ever got married there would be a movie in it!.plenty of action there with the hunt for the perfect pizza and a tazzar shoot out with a few spearguns.Plus I'm sure there where some mean-arse dogs on patrol around an electrafied boat stauncheon,and while were there,dont forget the addapta flair gun.That will provide the mince meat for the perfect hamburger.Ronda,Iv'e said it before,"What were ya thinking?"Pete & Ali,"get out there people and have fun"I didn't like the builders of the boat and thought they lacked integrety but ya got ya own back on them anyway.Have fun,have miles,and above all,have humility because we are all not as perfect as we make out
Old 12-02-2006, 11:01   #274

Jack and the other bitter old men

It would appear that many of the posters on this board are jealous of Ali and Pat.

Why?

I remember when I was in high school there was a wrestler on our team that was pretty good. Not great, but pretty good. He would attend all the wrestling camps, wear the gear during the day (for those of you who wrestled, you'd know...the funky shoes, the sweats). He talked wrestling in the offseason, conditioning, nutrition. In season, he talked even more wrestling. That was his life. Well, one day a scrawny guy came out for the wrestling team at the same weight as the guy whose life revolved around wrestling. This scrawny guy was a cross country runner, and had never wrestled before. Guess what? He kicked the wrestling-centric guy's a** in the first practice. All this guy's world came crashing down. The new guy just came out to wrestle to stay in shape for the upcoming track season. To him, it was a secondary sport, an afterthought.

To Jack, you LIVE your life on that boat of yours. That is your entire world. And all this while you thought that that little world of yours was so special, populated only by those able to drink in the rarefied air that you seem to breathe. And then along came our little Ali and Pat, who quit their jobs, buy a boat and go sailing. And guess what? They've sailed across the world, making friends that will last a lifetime, experiencing new things, and doing all the wonderful things that people do when they haul up the anchor. And I reckon, some day they will return to Chicago, raising a family there, and talking about their adventures to their friends and family. Bumfuzzle will be but a part of their lives. They have so much more to live for.

You, Jack, are that wrestler that got beat. Don't lash out at the new guy. Look inwards, to why you have such anger. Come to grips with your shortcomings, and some day when you read an account like Ali and Pat's you will smile, rather than gnash your teeth in a fit of vituperative anger.

Cordially,

A person who only dreams of doing what Ali and Pat have done
Old 12-02-2006, 12:26   #275

Boat: Privilege 37
Good start on the forums - first post slagging off people you dont know. If you took the trouble to either read the posts on this thread, or other posts, you would understand that the majority of posts against what bumfuzzle has done, are very definitely not because of jealousy.

They are primarily due to worry that other people will try to emulate the bumfuzzles obvious lack of preparedness and lack of desire evident earlier on to actually participate in the experience in other countries.

They may well be nice people, and I am sure they are, but there is a recurrant theme earlier on of "fools rushing in where angels were feared to tread"

most of the interest here is in sharing information to make other forum members boating an enjoyable and as far as possible safe experience.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:48   #276

Yeah!!

I noticed after Talbot posted his last post. I noticed "rumrunner" was lurking around this area of the forum for a hours.

And after I finished reading this thread. He disappeared!!

Makes you think about this person?

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 12-02-2006, 22:18   #277
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
To Jack, you LIVE your life on that boat of yours. That is your entire world. And all this while you thought that that little world of yours was so special, populated only by those able to drink in the rarefied air that you seem to breathe. And then along came our little Ali and Pat, who quit their jobs, buy a boat and go sailing. And guess what? They've sailed across the world, making friends that will last a lifetime, experiencing new things, and doing all the wonderful things that people do when they haul up the anchor.
Hmm, never seem a more narrow-minded opinon on this here board,
Hope I never cruise with, or anchor alongside this guy.

(Would this be the bums in disguise..?)

For some reason, it seems that the guys defending Pat and Al, at all cost, have no clue whatsoever.

Just because the Bums have the balls and the means to break away from the daily grind in Chicago and buy a poorly built Catamaran to sail across the planet does not make them the experts or the gurus on how to do it right.

Pure luck and no common sense seems to sum it up..

On the other hand: A steep learning curve may have a saved the day several times, if so, best of luck to the bums.

I would rather sail with Jack any day however: Homework, preparation and knowledge does not make for a boring passage....
Old 13-02-2006, 04:35   #278
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
This is an interesting thread, replete with varying opinions. The “Bumfuzzles” are an interesting couple, who do an excellent job of describing their adventures.

Let’s keep our discussion on an even keel, and continue to exhibit the remarkable Flame-Free” self-restraint that characterizes the CruisersForum and it’s membership.

Personal attacks and character assassinations will add nothing to our mutual education and satisfaction.

Respectfully,
Gord May

Old 13-02-2006, 06:48   #279

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
I'd add a third note to support CSY Man and Gord May. This board gets mor einvaluable every time someone with or without experience adds constructive comments. I have to say some of the most constructive practical advice for me has come from Jack - and whilst I'm sure hes a big enough person to stick up for himself - I applaud him not responding to the personal attack.

If we all remember what the board is for and think twice before getting personal - it will just carry on getting better.

Cheers
JOHN
Old 14-02-2006, 11:44   #280
bum

wheres Allan/Wheels

You know you guys want to put this one to bed but......

Face it - you guys were pretty bitter and short in your earlier posts. Of course recently things have been cival. Nothing wrong with a little apology.

You know I just think it is a difference between old and young people who communicate differently and see things differently.

Wheres Allan/Wheels in all of this? No comments? lost his voice? has a voice on everything else?

You could call me young, wealthy and I recently completed a single hand voyage from Australia to the UK via Cape Horn. I had all sorts of so called experts telling me I would die and was crazy.

You now it's funny I only needed to learn to splice when I went into a marina to tie the boat up.

The MOB pole was another thing you guys gave them Sh1t on for months - What was the point of that? In all the posts I saw I never saw anyone who actually used a MOB in anger. I don't carry one as I have used one in anger and found it useless. In high winds it just leans over in the water and lies flat. Instead I use a radar homing beacon system in which everyone wheres when on watch. It is a tricky little devise and works very well giving you a course to steer to the person in the water.

Oh the other thing - many people have been giving the wild cats a bad name on this thread and others. Has anyone actually sailed on one? Come on now be honest. What is your experience sailing one of these boats? I'd be interested. They are good boats in general - sure their may be the odd bad one out there but that is the case for all brands of boats. I have sailed a wild cat and found it to be an excellent sea boat. I don't think the bumfuzzles sail theirs very well but that is a learning thing. They are not a bad sea boat and a lot more sea worthy than some other American designed cats that seem popular for so called offshore work. Some wildcats are on long term cruises around the world without problems - I know of 3 of these boats at least that have gone half way around the world already. The only bummer (excuse the pun) with these boats is their bridge deck clearance which is a little low and pounding can become a problem.

Lets get over some of the name calling on this thread eh and I'm sorry if I have offended anyone. I'm not a 'savy' internet user but you will see I've used no CAPS and tried not to FLAME whatever that is.
Old 14-02-2006, 11:51   #281

Boat: Westsail - CC - 42
Hikers often say...

Hikers have a saying "Walk your own walk". Same can be said for cruising. Each cruises in their own style. We've always cruised slowly, another old cruising friend would stop in 10 places when we'd just visited one.

Does it really matter. No; did those on each boat have a good time. Yep. And I'm sure each took with them in their experiences more than they would have expected.
Old 14-02-2006, 13:45   #282

Boat: CT 47 - Wanderlust
Just joined this site and I have read several forums. This one on Bumfuzzle, Ali and Pat caught my eye and I read all of the postings.

I have corresponded with them and have been treated kindly. I have not lectured nor advised. They remind me of my children who are 21-35; Eyes still wide open with curiousity and not filled with fear; Ready to jump into activities that interest them and willing to share their experiences as long as you don't judge them.

Most of the posters who are negatively judging them seem to be older cruisers. I have seen a lot of your posts on other Boards. Most of the older cruisers offer what has worked for them and why. It's nice for them to post their experiences and I have applied many of them to my boat and cruising style.

But with Ali and Pat, as with my children, if they don't ask for my advice, I don't offer it. They will not listen until they are ready and they quite often surprise me and work everything out for themselves, just as Ali and Pat are doing. What a huge learning curve for them and they are doing remarkably well.

You know, if we all think about it, they are probably like a lot of us were several decades ago...we didn't want to hear it from our parents...we knew it all or so we thought and we are still here.

I am with those who admire Ali and Pat because they are doing it. They didn't wait for years and years to go. I know so many who waited too long and will never go despite all of the valuable information they have obtained over the years. They have the knowledge but not the health or life got in their way. Sometimes you learn from books, but most of the time you learn from doing it.

And I really like the idea that they seem to be willing to go where the cruisers don't go. Seems like a lot of the cruisers don't like to explore places unless someone else has already been there, charted it and reported back. Ali and Pat have explored many places not even recommended to visit and they had a good time doing it. They have tried new foods, new drinks, mingled with the average man and taken part in activities that involve regular joes.

My advice to them = Keep looking at the world through young eyes. I know you are exploring the cultural divides and trying to be good ambassadors as you travel, despite your tongue in cheek comments.

So go, Pat and Ali. My thoughts will be with you as you go through the Red Sea, as will my prayers.
Old 14-02-2006, 21:46   #283
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Bum says:- "I'm not a 'savy' internet user"
Well, go to another forum and learn, don't use this one unless you can move on and contribute something or ask some pertinent questions.
Old 15-02-2006, 01:45   #284
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
BUM:

Thanks for your input.

Could you provide any useful information about the tricky little “radar homing beacon system” that you recommend over the MOB pole? Make & model info’ would allow interested parties to check it out, and perhaps purchase for their own use.

The most significant detractor of the WilCat’s would certainly be the Bumfuzzles, themselves. Several on this board, including I, were disposed to view the manufacturer with some sympathy in this dispute.

Alan (‘Wheels’) has also provided much relevant input, on this thread & others. Perhaps he has nothing useful & significant to add to his previous comments (on the Bumfuzzles), and sees no use in meaningless squabbling.

FWIW,
Gord

Old 15-02-2006, 10:49   #285
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Thank-you Gord. Yep I am here and disapointed in the attempt by a new first time poster to use his privilage in a negative way. I am going to refrain from this squabble. It is obviouse that some people choose not to read the posts in the way and manner in which they are intended. They read into them, their own veiws and tones based on their own malicouse intentions. It is also obviouse that their is someone out there that is behind much of this. Their act is cowedly and malicouse. They have never yet once joined in and allowed us to TALK about even one issue ever stated in this thread, let a lone any other part of the BB and yet we all know they read here. Their silence on this BB added to their proportionaly badmouthing comments else were, I think sums up compleately just what sort of people they really are. If they ever once replied on here, they would find that most all of us would have been very happy to discuss the issues presented. And if it was found that anyone of us was either wrong, or wrongly understood or what ever, they would have had an appology. I know this to be true, because I have got to know and have made some very good freinds and respect the opinions and views of every single "participant" on this board. I may not agree, but I respect and I can enter into some banter and either be educated, teach, sympathize, encourage or support another poster and freind.

So "Bum", either join in here, find out who we are, participate in some positive way, become a freind or bugger off as none of us have time to deal with sort of crap. And I won't be replying to your posts again. I have said more than I was intending to already. Hey, I'm just a mere Human.

But I hope you do join in here. I hope we become freinds. I am very forgiving and am happy to forget any of this is you want to start afresh.
By the way, you too made a couple of negative comments about the Fuzzles, their lack of sailign ability and the poor choice in boat. Did you mean this in the way that it could easily be taken, or not?? See!!!, it is easy to be mis-interpreted and taken out of context.
So is this a time

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Closed Thread