Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.43 average. Display Modes
Old 22-01-2006, 13:06   #241

Boat: 1972 37' irwin center cockpit
got hot!!!!!!

I almost can't believe the responses to my posts. Perhaps I need to explain my perspective a little better, by admiting that I did take in the bulk of this thread in a couple days. So looking back I guess it was a mistake to reply to the whole thread in entirety. Also, I read the first seven pages and maybe the last couple of two. I believe however that it was the last topic in this thread so I thought I was being relevant.

Rereading all of this really kind of tickles me so I guess I am a Troll. Unless captk was the one who said something about the silver spoon or daddy's money, I dont understand why his first reply was so heated. As far as naming a respected contributor unfairly, I thought that I named him with respect every time I named him. I won't name him again but I believe every post I made acknowledged his knowledge. I stand by calling out the person who called them the silver spoon couple. It was an unqualified statement, and was wrong anyway. Those who can do those who can't teach wasn't meant as an insult to anyone. Seems to me to give credit both ways. Ask anyone who follows golf what happened when Tiger left Butch Harmon. Just saying give Pat and Ali for doing. I don't really see how it implys anything to be heated about. To be honest as I read most of this thread, I was bewildered as to why Pat and Ali, who are very nice people, could be spoke of so harshly. And some people did its true. Why defend them? I did however at one point in an earlier posting want to point out what a good job of being critical without being insensitive "Wheels" had done in past postings but got to typing and forgot. Now I wish I hadn't. Also I feel as if I come with an admission of some kind, in every post I've made, as I have this one. A little give and take lets say. I didnt really feel that I got that in any of the responses though until Larry and Wheels weighed in. Be that as it may I am willing to let it drop if it is a dead subject after 17 pages!? Hows the boat?

Now I'm going surfing while I think of how to fix my bilge pump, hah!

Sean
Old 22-01-2006, 13:19   #242
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Firstly, We all have to realise everyone has a different view, a different way of understanding and a different way of replying.
With that in mind, someone is always going to reply in a way, that others may take offense. This thread has become so big and so contriversal, that ones that have replied in the past have had their comments taken out of context to what they had been implying. Because of that, they get their feathers ruffled everytime yet another jumps in a comments on this thread. Because of THAT, we all wish this thread would sink to the bottom and never be dredged up.

Teamivey, I hope you post on another thread. I hope you feel most welcome here on the BB. I will look forward to reading and replying to your posts in the future. I hope you fit in and enjoy the company here.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Old 22-01-2006, 13:25   #243
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

PLEASE PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING BEFORE REPLYING AND MAKING COMMENTS TO THIS THREAD.

THIS THREAD HAS BECOME SO LARGE AND COMPLEX, THAT UNLESS YOU READ EVERY POST IN CONTEXT, YOU RUN THE RISK OF MAKING A REPLY THAT WILL CAUSE MANY HEATED ARGUMENTS.
I BELIEVE THE ABILITY TO READ ALL THE POSTS AND MAINTAIN CONTEXT HAS BECOME NEAR IMPOSSIBLE.

PLEASE LET THIS TOPIC DROP AND SINK TO THE BOTTOM, NEVER TO BE DREDGED TO THE SURFACE AGAIN.

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS POST.
(unless it's Gord telling me off for posting this)

Old 22-01-2006, 14:51   #244
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Pat & Ali are an interesting cruising couple, with a lot of nautical miles under their hulls. They relate engaging tales of their travels, their triumphs, trials, & tribulations in a public journal.
I think that qualifies them, and their experiences, as topics of discussion, on a cruisers forum.
I've shared several opinions & comments on the "Bumfuzzles" (and nearly every other subject) . I hope to be read with critical thoughtfulness. Sometimes, a critical review of my offerings leads to "criticism". That's what makes a useful discourse.
The CruisersForum is noted for the generous and helpfull exchange of considerable expertise, and for our courteous and civil demeanor - even (particularily?) when we disagree.
I see no reson why adults (such as we) cannot maintain a civil & polite discourse & debate. That's why we have "Preview" and "Edit" icons.
FWIW,
Gord

Old 22-01-2006, 16:06   #245

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Welcome aboard Sean. There are many fans of the Bums here. Love 'em or otherwise, you have to admit they're a great conversation starter. On this and other threads in this forum and on other forums, there are extensive discussions with very polarized opinions on them. Gotta hand it to you - pretty ballsy diving into the deep end on your first attempt. Don't be discouraged by the rocks tossed your way - it's an earnest attempt to make you a better swimmer.

Kevin
Old 22-01-2006, 19:09   #246

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
It doesn't hurt to sit anymore
Old 22-01-2006, 21:55   #247
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
I also noticed on & off throughout the day. That this area of the forum had the biggest crowd of forum members throughout this entire day.
Aye, this is a popular topic:

Newbies with money go to sea, then they record every problem and every victory on the internet.

The problems include lack of pizza and lack of internet connection and the fact that the natives can's splice their lines.

Some cruisers on this board suggest doing home-work and cheking attitude before sailing into the sunset and posting every piece of poor-seamanship on the 'net.

About this time the young folks, the ones with little or no sailing experience chirp in to defend the Bums and their freestyle sailing, then they accuse the critics of being jealous and not being out there "doing it."

Being a semi-old salt, I can only applaud the bums for "doing it".

Yes, it takes a sack and some guts to just go out there and do it.

What is lacking is a wee bit of home-work, seamanship and style.
At least ask a few questions, and listen carefully to the answers before ya push off the dock..

(Try to cook a meal, try to splice a line, try to live without internet connection before ya whine on the 'net. If not, ya don't get much respect from the folks that have been there before you...We are not even talking about spray painting the emergency equipment to match the grey seas... )
Old 22-01-2006, 22:09   #248

Ok,yep its gone too long,Rhonda what were you thinking(only kidding)So the company, a well known one at that for whatever reason gets beaten down by the Rand ,takes short cuts and throws out a low grade product,and gets caught up in a **** fight with Pat & Ali . Maybe Pat & Ali got caught up between A bloke that had the boat long enough to know it was a lemon a surveyor that has been known to be critical to the said builders and a broker that might have just wanted a sale.Now being new at all this ,but even I can see that a broker has no legal obligation,the surveor allways covers his arse so Pat & Ali try to recover monies spent on repairs of the said problems from the only people they can ,mind you they were not to helpful on the E-mail side of it all ,but all that aside, the only thing I want to know is "Did they perform the renaming ceremony properly"This is of grave concern to me ,I for fact of being a newbie dont want to start a **** fight with the gods about the new name of my boat! This might sound funny to you all, and in all sincerity,I hope it does!!!
Old 22-01-2006, 22:27   #249
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
STOP STOP arrrrgh, can't help myself

Regardless of the temperature of these discussions I have learnt a great deal, and that is exactly why I came here. I can splice just about every damn thing that man or god has made BUT, I suddenly realised I didn't have a clue how to splice yacht braid!! Note to self:- learn to do this beforeI need it.
I can't be bothered trawling back through everything to itemise what I've learnt but it has definitely been worth the reading.
Cheers to Ali & Pat for giving me the opportunity to learn from your mistakes and cheers to everyone who has contributed to this thread and helped me gain useful knowledge.
Old 23-01-2006, 07:13   #250

True this has become once again a popular topic.

But hopefully this couple, will learn from all this?

I happen to be a fan of fast food like they do. But, I have traveled a good portion of this world, while in the military. And I realised, that there is not a Pizza Hut. Or a Burger King or McDonalds at every stop.

If they would've learned how to cook. It would've made things easier for them. And then when they did find a real place that serves hamburgers and pizzas. Then they have it made.

But, those two have lots to learn. Just like some of us in here do?

That's why they invented this place were we can all hang out and learn from the exploits of Pat & Ali. Eventhough I'm not a huge fan of them like some of the people have stated on this forum. But, I suppose we could learn from these two. (Eventhough this sounds like a comedy to me.)

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 23-01-2006, 10:24   #251
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hey Pete, this is probably the only time I'll be able to teach you something. So it looks like you and me over a beer and I'll teach you how to splice braids.

Old 23-01-2006, 10:51   #252

welcome to the forum

It is almost unbelievable the response I have gotten after my first couple days of being a registered member. Lambasted by the likes of Capk. I don't understand still where in my first post I would of offended him to the point of such a heated response. Capk who has called me an insolent schoolboy, and and seems very angry as evidenced by his use of the "f" and various ##^#& in order to censor himself.

Let me quote some of capk

"Oh, sure they have more money. And that they're "doing it." So what!! Who cares. Who gives a flying F*&%.Some of us have done it. Still doing it. I have done it !! Not recently. But, plan on doing it again."

Then, and this is the greatest, he posts an admission of throwing boulders at me, and being a little to rough, and then laters edits it off the website. That is the funniest thing I have ever experienced on a message board. And to quote him once more "makes the rest of your post suspect"

Also I would like to thank "wheels" as the moderator of the cruiser forum, to let me know in one of his 1328 postings, what topics were allowed.

Well I can take some good natured ribbing, so I have nothing but the warmest regards for the welcome committee that received me to the forum.

OK to bring up another subject, any thoughts on buying an old boat and dumping money in. Of buying brand new? And of such manufacturers as Hunter, Beneteau, and Catalina's. And what about this old garbage scow I'm on now? 37' center cockpit, sloop rigged, Irwin, 1972. (Man I know capk is gonna kill me on this)

Now I'm headed to the bar for a drink, while I ponder how to fix my leaking thru hull!!
Old 23-01-2006, 10:59   #253
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
Now I'm headed to the bar for a drink, while I ponder how to fix my leaking thru hull!!
Try replacing it, works every time...
Old 23-01-2006, 12:24   #254

Yeah I threw some boulders. Instead of stones. And I admit to editing it. I'm not going to lie about that.

About buying a boat.

I'd recommend Catalinas. I am a fan of Catalinas. I'm planning to get one soon. Hunter would be my second choice. So no teamivey. I'm not gonna kill you for that?

I know, I came at you too hard at first. But, I just want to let you know. And the rest of the forum, know about this. That I already did apologise, for what I said earlier. Ok? And I'll say again. I apologise for throwing boulders at you. Ok teamivey? So can we start off, from this post onward, as fellow cruisers?

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 23-01-2006, 12:49   #255

NO WORRIES MON

Capk just yanking you a bit. You had it coming. But I swear I am typing with a smile on my face everytime. My fellow cruiser.

Now I'm going to go waterskiing while I think about why my DC panel keeps sparking!
Closed Thread