Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-07-2012, 22:15   #1

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)
Underwater webcam

I'm over SCUBA diving and snorkelling is still great fun but the old eye sight is letting me down from properly seeing anything without spectacles. I dont want to go to the expense of a prescription facemask so I thought about sticking a cheap webcam on the end of a boathook.

Only want to look at the fish, reef etc up to say 5m depth, maybe useful for hull and prop inspections.

Anyone tried something like this. What was your experience?

mausgras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 22:26   #2

Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat
Re: Underwater webcam

Definitely would a bit of an anticlimax compared with snorkling/scuba diving. No comparison really even with a good camera. I can be done, there are various devices, see them regualarly at boat shows.

Did you have a bad experience diving to set you in this direction?

Don't think precription lenses will break the bank. Some mast brands have lenses avail off the rack.

downunder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 22:32   #3

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Diveing is the only time I wear contacts! of course all the diveing I do these days involves ckin my anchor or a little spear fishing with fins and a face plate, had a faceplate with a correction in it but it finaly got to weak and was worthless !
Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2012, 01:33   #4

Boat: custom 42' catamaran

About a decade ago I had the lasik process performed - I was nearsighted with one eye 20:600 and the other 20:650 and had been wearing glasses since it was discovered I couldn't see much in the sixth grade. This was also complicated by astigmatism and mild color blindness (close pastels with similar color values). The lasik process took about 30 seconds on each eye and I walked out being able to see - corrected to 20:20 (and possibly a tad better in one eye). No pain to speak of - I didn't even need aspirin, YMMV. Originally it was set up as 'mono-vision' - one eye for reading and one eye for distance; but I got a touch up to give me good distance in both eyes and just use reading glasses if I need close work (only using 1.5s). While the process enabled me to see well and eliminated both my nearsightedness and my astigmatism, it did nothing to improve my color perception.

I have also been considering mounting a sealed high beam and a webcam in a waterproof enclosure and mount them on my bows to give me vision forward and down on my catamaran. I expect to anchor in relatively shallow water and the water here is usually very clear - hopefully this will enable me to see my anchor along with a variety of fish and other creatures. It might not work, but seems cheap to try - once I get some experience with the boat.
Bruce626 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: