Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2018, 16:10   #1

Boat: Catalina 400
Unattended on Mooring Ball

We have bought a boat in the Gulf Coast of Florida, and will begin moving it around to North Carolina next month.

Have to leave her in Florida from Thanksgiving to Christmas, about 5 weeks, while we return home to work.

Would you even consider leaving it on a ball in a municipal mooring field?

We would not know any of the live aboard community there, so no help keeping an eye on the boat. Don't even know if mooring-field theft is a problem in general, just a concern.

This stay at area marinas is between $1600 and $2500, on mooring about $300 per month.

Where would you leave yours?
SoundWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 16:59   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Unattended on Mooring Ball

We left our boat in the city of Key West mooring field for a month once. My only fear was our dinghy at the dink dock. Marathon would be OK if they are back up to speed. The field in Miami would be good as you could leave your dink on the boat because they have a shuttle service.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 17:05   #3

Boat: Hanse, 400e - 40ft

With no specific knowledge of the particular municipal mooring field or the vessel in question, I can simply offer my general take on it.

Assuming i’s a reputable municipal mooring field that takes good care of the mooring gear, I’d have no issue leaving my boat on the mooring for an extended period, especially since you’re talking well outside of hurricane season.

This also assumes we’re talking about a well maintained vessel where if you close all the thru-hulls you don’t need to worry about taking on water and if the bilge pump works, etc.

Again, just one man’s opinion - YMMV!
Old 24-10-2018, 19:01   #4

We left ours on a mooring at Dinner Key Marina for a month. No problem.
Old 24-10-2018, 19:17   #5

Boat: Hunter 356

Vero Beach is good, but when they’re busy, they will raft boats on a single mooring ball. I wouldn’t want that going on while I’m not on my boat.
Old 25-10-2018, 06:53   #6

Boat: Catalina 400

Appreciate your feedback, very helpful.

I was seeking opinions, pertaining to any (seaworthy) boat and long-term stays in mooring fields in general; you've given me peace of mind.

Thanks!
SoundWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 08:35   #7

Boat: Manta 40 catamaran

Hello fellow Oriental sailor! We did a similar trip from Galveston last year. Left the boat for over 2 weeks on a mooring in the Key West city mooring field unattended. They even pumped us out while we were gone. Then we headed to the Bahamas for the winter. In order to visit with friends, we left the boat on fantastic new moorings in Titusville for 10 days on the way back to Oriental in the spring. Both times, the boat was absolutely fine even though big storms passed thru. The dinghy was locked with a cable at the dinghy dock and was fine, but several inches of water that we had to bail out.
Old 25-10-2018, 09:08   #8

Marathon City Marina is very strict about not allowing boats to be vacant while on a mooring ball, I considered the same thing. I wouldn't have a problem doing this if it were allowed.
Jackz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 09:09   #9

Boat: Island Packet 350

Left my boat at Dinner Key in Miami for 3 weeks while I flew home for the holidays one year. No problems at all; and as pointed out in an earlier post you can leave your tender on the boat because of the shuttle service out to the mooring field.
sailorman7225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 09:47   #10

Boat: Valiant 40

If you find a mooring field that is serviced by a launch they tend to be a bit safer, but it really depends on the area. I’ve left my boat on a mooring a few times for a few weeks and have never had s problem.
Old 25-10-2018, 10:54   #11

Boat: Island Packet 32

I'm going to guess you are in Naples, St. Pete, or Sarasota. All good municipal mooring fields are associated with good municipal marinas. All marinas will have reputable guys that regularly check on boats for a fee. I leave my boat in a marina for 5 months of the year and a guy charges me $30/mo to check on it once a week, and then whatever to deal with whatever comes up ie. the float switch failed once leaving condensate from the de-humidifier in the bilge. He replaced it for a fair price. Go to the dock master in your marina and ask for a reputable captain that does this. Having said all this, I would not leave it in Key West due to theft. And many municipal mooring fields won't knowing let you store your boat absentee and/or have time limits.
CaptRory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 11:33   #12

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundWave View Post
We have bought a boat in the Gulf Coast of Florida, and will begin moving it around to North Carolina next month.

Have to leave her in Florida from Thanksgiving to Christmas, about 5 weeks, while we return home to work.

We would not know any of the live aboard community there, so no help keeping an eye on the boat. Don't even know if mooring-field theft is a problem in general, just a concern.

This stay at area marinas is between $1600 and $2500, on mooring about $300 per month.

Where would you leave yours?
I'm not sure where in Fl. you want to leave the boat. The municipal Marine in FT. Myers had a mooring field. The Fl. Wildlife cop sat out behind the 41 bridge looking for speeders coming down the river so was out there daily.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 21:56   #13

Boat: Meta Arctic Voyager 47
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor

I have left my boat on the Mooring field in San Diego harbor for six months at a time. Seems reasonable since they have a profession crew checking all the moorings.
northwestsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2018, 05:46   #14

Boat: Newport 28II, 28'

I keep my boat on a mooring all season and my biggest problem is degredation of the pendant/bridle, so make sure your chafing gear is capable of standing up to your away time. Personally, I find ChafePro to be the best.
Over Budget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2018, 06:24   #15
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundWave View Post

Without question I would. But if I were going to be away for 5 weeks I would take the canvas etc down and put the boat into storm prep condition. It isn't hard when traveling to identify the boats that haven't have any owner on in a while, its' the one with the torn headsail.

Tags
mooring