Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2014, 02:21   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Unattended at Anchor

When we review the list of potential risks that have been presented in posts above, I see four things,- Weather, holding, theft and poorly anchored neighbors. All of these risks are greatly affected by location. I've posted above that we have left our boat unattended at anchor frequently; however, there are many places where I would not consider doing so. These are the similar to the "location" choices people make ashore. There are places where people regularly leave the doors unlocked and their windows open. There are times when you could choose to leave the top down on your convertible car or walk the streets alone day or night without an umbrella. I don't have difficulty finding safe anchorages that don't require extra anchors or methods in my cruising area. Location seems to be the big difference.
Old 24-02-2014, 14:42   #62
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

This thread sure separates the cruisers from the armchair cruisers lol. I cruise alone and would be a real hermit if i had to have an anchor watch 24-7. My ground tackle is way oversized and chain for a reason. Ive seen too many idiots in powerboats motoring in front of a bunch of anchored boats checking them out. Ive been anchoring for 25 years and havent come to a boat up on the beach.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2014, 14:53   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunblock View Post
Working on a plan for a departure date. something that would help would be to get my boat and anchor her closer to an inlet the weekend before as my marina is 8 hours away. Holding and current protection in that area is supposed to be great. I have two anchors I could put out. Would you leave your boat sitting unattended for a few days ?
Yep, preferably with someone anchored nearby in case of emergency. It's done all the time, but has risk. Just know that some places experience severe gusts etc on a moments notice. Florida being one. After sitting a weeka nd a half at anchor there we were hit one morning with 70+ winds for 20 minutes or so. The anchor that was well embedded jerked right out with the clay bottom completely covering it when pulled up. looked like a large basketball with a shank on it. The anchor didnt fail,... the bottom did.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2014, 15:04   #64

Risk evaluation involves two things: how likely is a bad outcome, multiplied by how consequential is a bad outcome.

Going ashore in a location with EFTPOS machines and burger joints will have different implications from going ashore in a location with ice and rock and (if you're lucky) the occasional tasty penguin.

And those with everything they own tied up in a boat will sensibly take more strenuous measures when leaving that boat unattended than those for whom it is just another of the many things they own.
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2014, 18:11   #65

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl

Andrew has a good point. I take several days of medication for my daughter, which she absolutely cannot miss a few doses of, just for the morbid thought that the boat may sink while we are ashore.

I don't tell my wife that I do this, since then she'd know how tenuous and fleeting I imagine our life to be.

Many of my favorite memories are of leaving the boat to explore inland. So it is unfortunate that some folks miss those experiences.

My own brand of conservative seamanship is to always try to anchor well enough for the worst conditions likely. Because I've had situations where the anchor is fouled, the windlass doesn't go, or the engine doesn't start, and I am stuck for a day or two or three longer than I expected to sort it out. And the weather gets worse. So I don't like to anchor poorly.
Old 24-02-2014, 18:21   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by msponer View Post
<snip> always try to anchor well enough for the worst conditions likely. Because I've had situations where ..... I am stuck for a day or two or three longer than I expected .... And the weather gets worse. So I don't like to anchor poorly.
Boy do I resonate with that. It's a hard lesson, so I'm not sure why I seem to have had to relearn it several times ...
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 16:50   #67

Boat: contessa 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Bad seamanship IMHO to leave a boat unattended at anchor. Everything after that is a compromise

Dave
So those singlehanded sailors that sail alone around the world ( an endeavor that to my mind is the highest act of seamanship) are guilty of poor seamanship if they ever choose to go ashore ? Well I guess they could always stay in marinas….how fun…...
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 16:56   #68

Boat: Island Packet 27

Ugggg.... Marinas
Captaintim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 17:15   #69

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohr View Post
So those singlehanded sailors that sail alone around the world ( an endeavor that to my mind is the highest act of seamanship) are guilty of poor seamanship if they ever choose to go ashore ? Well I guess they could always stay in marinas….how fun…...
By the letter of the law and every know respected abstract on seamanship that I comply with (other than by single handed cruisers)..... single handling while a feat in itself is still poor seamanship just from the lookout perspective...

But being reasonable and anyone sailing a tiny hazard to REAL navigation.. we see that most singlehandllers are only really a hazard to themselves so governments and oversight committees could care less about their fates.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 18:12   #70

Boat: Various

We all have different levels or risk we're able to assume and remain comfortable and enjoy ourselves. My wife and I have both owned convertibles for well over ten years. Neither of us ever leaves ours parked with the top down while walking off or in somewhere. But then before that I never left my windows down. Yet, at the office, when it would start to rain, I'd see people running to the parking lot to raise theirs. I didn't want to wonder or worry or feel the need to keep my eye on the window.

So the answer to this question doesn't just involve skills, expertise, or objective likelihood of a problem. It also involves personal peace of mind, however small the risk.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 18:52   #71

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

True...but after 5 decades of serious boating and 2 of teaching boating at many levels...sometimes personal comfort in boating is as much about experience as it is personal preference.

Most boaters I know are uncomfortable with anchoring at all...let alone leaving site of their anchored boat even for a minute.

I'm in the middle...I can do a lot with a boat but many on here have vastly more experience with anchoring than me...and I probably have vastly more than the other half. So I see both points...but it to me is more about comfort than seamanship or what you like or dislike.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 20:27   #72

I think some folks are looking at this all wrong. If you need to be away from your boat for up to a week or more then put it in a marina or on a commercial mooring. When cruising in the out of the way places we anchor and may stay in the one spot for upto a month, we leave the boat daily to explore by foot or hire a scooter and normal back at the boat by dark. On the rare occasion when we spend a night on land we will ask a fellow cruiser to keep an eye out as we have for others. Our boat is our home and we tend to look after her.♡

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 05:41   #73

This has got to be the most ridiculous post I've ever seen, "three good anchors"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Troup View Post
Here's what I would do if I HAD to leave my boat unattended for a period of time:

Lay out three good anchors at 120 degrees, best anchor facing towards the nastiest quadrant.

Shackle the three chains to a mooring swivel, pulling them in as tight as conveniently possible. Excess chain can just hang down, or if there's a long length, be bundled to act as an 'angel'

Run a chain from the bow to the other end of the swivel.

This will hold better, and be more reliable* than the majority of single-massive-weight moorings, and a LOT better than some.

* (because the chain and swivel has not been down there potentially forever)
marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 05:45   #74

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Troup View Post
Here's what I would do if I HAD to leave my boat unattended for a period of time:

Lay out three good anchors at 120 degrees, best anchor facing towards the nastiest quadrant.

Shackle the three chains to a mooring swivel, pulling them in as tight as conveniently possible. Excess chain can just hang down, or if there's a long length, be bundled to act as an 'angel'

Run a chain from the bow to the other end of the swivel.

This will hold better, and be more reliable* than the majority of single-massive-weight moorings, and a LOT better than some.

* (because the chain and swivel has not been down there potentially forever)

I'm sure that would work well in all but hurricane conditions, but do you really have 3 anchors with 3 all chain rodes, plus an extra length of chain plus a mooring swivel onboard?
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 05:57   #75

Boat: Island Packet 27

Wait.... If setting 3 anchors is good....6 anchors has got to be better right? I would space them 60 degrees apart....

Wait....9 anchors...

Just having some fun sorry...
Captaintim1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor