Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2014, 07:23   #31

Re: Unattended at Anchor

Have to admit I have never left the boat for days much less weeks but I was asked to keep an eye on another cruisers boat when he had a family emergency that took him away for around 10 days. Thats what it would take to get me to leave the boat.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2014, 07:54   #32

Boat: Ohlson 38

I regularly left my boat in the Potomac with it's tides and currents for days at a time. I used a new generation anchor with 50 ft chain and nylon. Never had a problem. Never dragged even during hurricane Irene.

There is a 40 foot boat just south of the Woodrow Wilson bridge (same spot as me) whose owner came up from North Carolina three years ago. Been at anchor (sans owner) ever since. All nylon rode. No problem.
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2014, 20:13   #33

Boat: CT 54

When you are cruising its part of the life style, we are always on the hook, and never even think twice about leaving our boat, it's just the way it is.
Deck Scrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2014, 20:14   #34

Oh but we do have one big mother of an Anchor...haha
Old 22-02-2014, 21:52   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Bad seamanship IMHO to leave a boat unattended at anchor. Everything after that is a compromise

Dave
But it's good seamanship to leave a boat unattended on a swinging mooring? What's the difference?

I actually have more confidence -- much more confidence -- in my own ground tackle, than I do in swinging moorings of unknown provenance and condition. And I know when my anchor is well set.

That being said, I almost never leave my boat completely unattended at anchor -- almost always someone stays on board. But I think this is irrational on my part.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2014, 23:01   #36

I don't think I could leave my boat for more than 4 hour on anchor. It just about killed me to leave it for 3 hours this past summer.

ShaunJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2014, 23:07   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Bad seamanship IMHO to leave a boat unattended at anchor. Everything after that is a compromise

Dave
Oh well thats my next trip away stuffed. We usually wander off and explore onshore and do two day walks and the like.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2014, 23:28   #38

Quote:

Dave

How can you go cruising if you cant leave your boat at anchor?
How can you go cruising if you can't leave your boat at anchor at least overnight so you can make an overnight trip inland?

I understand concerns about longer periods away from the boat left at anchor but overnight is the absolute minimum for a flexible time.

Not happy with that? , then improve your weather forecasting systems and get a bigger/better ground tackle system.
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2014, 23:42   #39

If the anchor is in good holding I may leave it overnight when cruising just to give the wife a night out in a good hotel. But I need to know the weather is stable and benign. Also check your insurance policy. Most will not allow more than 24 hrs on anchor unattended.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2014, 23:47   #40

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuss View Post
How can you go cruising if you can't leave your boat at anchor at least overnight so you can make an overnight trip inland?

I understand concerns about longer periods away from the boat left at anchor but overnight is the absolute minimum for a flexible time.

Not happy with that? , then improve your weather forecasting systems and get a bigger/better ground tackle system.
Answer in our case: Marina

Other answer: Leave someone on board to watch.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2014, 23:47   #41

Boat: Island Packet 27

I agree with Fuss. If I could never leave my boat at anchor I would not go cruising. The differences we are talking about is leaving it at anchor for a day or two to enjoy what the cruising life is about, and leaving it at anchor for weeks at a time without being on it or able to check on it. I'm very comfortable with my anchor and rode having spent a lot of time on it and learning to trust it. Still, I watch the weather, and if a blow or storm is coming I always alter my plans to get back on the boat. I trust everything, but want to be onboard to take care of any situation. My thinking is that my boat will be fine in a bad blow, but I am concerned about other boats dragging.
Captaintim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2014, 23:47   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuss View Post

I totally agree, if you want to go Cruising you need to chill out more, that's the whole idea about leaving your old life behind, and actually start living. just my opinion.
Old 22-02-2014, 23:48   #43

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
If the anchor is in good holding I may leave it overnight when cruising just to give the wife a night out in a good hotel. But I need to know the weather is stable and benign. Also check your insurance policy. Most will not allow more than 24 hrs on anchor unattended.
What? No docks available when there is a nearby hotel? I'd have second thoughts leaving my boat at anchor overnight.

Old 23-02-2014, 00:07   #44

I have to say I'm a little bit gob smacked at all these posts, I can't believe so many people will not leave their boat, is there something wrong here? Or are we doing the wrong thing?
If your cruising and come into a new port/ Country, are you going to just sit on your boat and enjoy the view? Or go out and explore all the new sights and cultures come on guys life is for living.
Old 23-02-2014, 00:16   #45

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

I'm not at all concerned about leaving Wind Wanderer on the hook. We've got good ground tackle and once it's set it doesn't move without dragging Peking with it.
I wouldn't just anchor and leave, but once I've been there for a few days and I'm happy with the boat and it's surrounds, an overnight away is no problem at all.
I'm far more concerned about the dinghy even though locked to a tree, or the batteries if we are having overcast weather and I'm not there to run the genny a bit.

Vic

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor