Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2014, 00:23   #46

Boat: Various
Re: Unattended at Anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deck Scrubber View Post
I have to say I'm a little bit gob smacked at all these posts, I can't believe so many people will not leave their boat, is there something wrong here? Or are we doing the wrong thing?
If your cruising and come into a new port/ Country, are you going to just sit on your boat and enjoy the view? Or go out and explore all the new sights and cultures come on guys life is for living.
No, nothing wrong with you and you're not doing the wrong thing. One does what they are comfortable with.

On the other hand, don't think for one moment that those of us who don't leave ours unattended at anchor, don't leave the boat and enjoy the view. We can leave plenty and live a lot from marinas and by leaving crew on board if anchored.

There is no single way to enjoy boating. Each does what works for them.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 00:32   #47

Bad seamanship IMHO not to have a ground tackle system that you trust in marginal conditions.

You never know when you are going to need to rely on it. Even if you don't normally anchor.
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 01:04   #48

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuss View Post
Bad seamanship IMHO not to have a ground tackle system that you trust in marginal conditions.

You never know when you are going to need to rely on it. Even if you don't normally anchor.
I trust my anchoring equipment and systems. Still doesn't mean I intend to anchor and leave my boat unattended.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 02:37   #49
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
If the anchor is in good holding I may leave it overnight when cruising just to give the wife a night out in a good hotel. But I need to know the weather is stable and benign. Also check your insurance policy. Most will not allow more than 24 hrs on anchor unattended.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Good Point. Here is the PDS for Club Marine CLUB MARINE they don't make any mention of any such exclusion. I will have to check on Nautilas, and here it is Nautilas - same no mention of such an exclusionbut I suspect they will be close, (CM and Nautilus cover avery large proportion of Australian Vessels.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 04:48   #50

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

I think this is like many other discussions...the word "unattended" means different things to different people.

Being very cautious about things...I'm always "more attentive" to my anchoring when in a fairly exposed spot, with large tidal variations and strong tidal current swings....less so when completely surrounded by large trees, no tide or current....

I know it should only matter based on tackle, set, and bottom....but cautiousness is a hard personality trait to shake if you have been successful for a long time. Then again I recognize comfort level and necessity...both alter the equation regularly.

Also I think I saw the question about moorings...a "proper" mooring is designed for max pull, 360 degrees...most anchors while designed to reset have less than a perfect record at it and can breakout with normal swing.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 04:49   #51
CLOD

Boat: none

sad that so many are basically trapped on their boat
Old 23-02-2014, 05:25   #52
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
sad that so many are basically trapped on their boat

My comment didn't mean that you had to trapped on your boat , but that proper seamanship would dictate that an anchor watch was always maintained. But we all are aware of the need to leave the boat at anchor unattended. But I'm like Dockhead. I do it because I have to, but I never go that far away or for too long

Dave
Old 23-02-2014, 05:28   #53
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Unattended at Anchor

I'd have to say that InThe med, I rarely leave the boat unattended for more then a shopping trip. Too many idiots about. It's not me I'm worried about. If I want serious time ashore I find a marina berth and stomach the cost

Dave
Old 23-02-2014, 05:59   #54

Boat: Smokercraft Promag 172
Re: unattended at anchor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
No! Sure would not. Especially in tidal waters of NC.

I Agree, I am a Motor Boater, and from what I see a Sail Boat has even more to get busted. I have seen boats laying on the bank, had to dive down and hook onto mine once to get it out, ,,,,I agree NO, don't leave it.
Dixie Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 17:10   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Leaving your boat at anchor is a different risk and comfort level for people that use their boats in various ways. We anchor frequently and our boat has been our only home for 43 years. Imagine the restriction that would be present in your life if you were unable to leave your home for that length of time! Sure, we spend many days at marinas in the comfort of a slip; however, there is a risk, too, in leaving your boat where people can easily step onto it from a dock. In fact, the only thefts we have had have been at the dock! These were minor items taken from our deck, but always at a marina.. I know we are not immune from risk at the dock or on the hook, but I have no greater risk in a secure anchorage than in a slip. When I am asked whether I would leave my boat at anchor, I would counter with the question; Would you leave your car unattended in the parking lot while you are shopping in the grocery store? Do you leave your home unattended while you are off to work for the day? Risk management requires that you know the risks and develop a comfort with your capabilities.
Old 23-02-2014, 17:24   #56

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailvayu View Post
I recently purchased a alarm or monitoring unit from Siren Marine (No connection other than a customer.) With this you can set a Geo fence and it will text your cell phone if your boat moves out of the area set. It also has a high water alarm that will text your phone. Gives me some piece of mind as of this time i have not had any bad alarms set to me. Could be something to consider if leaving the boat.
Keeping watch from a distance - Ocean Navigator - September 2013
Remote Boat Monitoring & Boat Tracking | Siren Marine
I don't get it. How long would take you to get your boat. I am thinking that it would be a long time. And if you're horrible high water alarm goes off. Who are you going to call? pump busters?
Old 23-02-2014, 17:33   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
I don't get it. How long would take you to get your boat. I am thinking that it would be a long time. ...........
Here again it depends on the individuals and how they use their boat. Most of the time that I am away from my boat at anchor I'm to shore by dinghy and within a half hour time of being able to return, - shopping, laundry, cafe, bar, Kayaking, bicycling, dog walking, etc.
Old 23-02-2014, 23:19   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
What? No docks available when there is a nearby hotel? I'd have second thoughts leaving my boat at anchor overnight.

The times we have left our boat for more than 24 hrs has always been at a marina or a fixed swing mooring. But some of the best hotel/resorts with day spars to spoil my crew. It's hard to find marinas on some islands like the island of pines new Cal.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 23:57   #59
Zai

Boat: 2011 Bavaria 36 Cruiser

Our ground tackle is very good and I always ensure that it is set well and most often I dive on it to check on obstructions in the swinging area.

What worries me the most on the occasions we leave to go for a hike or such is the other boaters skills/ground tackle. It has happened more than once, that someone hooks up on anothers tackle.

Also when in the med at the dock, if med mooring, you are essentially on the hook. Have seen some disasters there also due to dragging hooks. Often the bottom is well plowed in these marinas and can be variable holding.
Zai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2014, 01:38   #60

Here's what I would do if I HAD to leave my boat unattended for a period of time:

Lay out three good anchors at 120 degrees, best anchor facing towards the nastiest quadrant.

Shackle the three chains to a mooring swivel, pulling them in as tight as conveniently possible. Excess chain can just hang down, or if there's a long length, be bundled to act as an 'angel'

Run a chain from the bow to the other end of the swivel.

This will hold better, and be more reliable* than the majority of single-massive-weight moorings, and a LOT better than some.

* (because the chain and swivel has not been down there potentially forever)
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor