Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Do have a gun or plan to have a gun on your boat?
Gun - NO 92 57.50%
Gun - YES 68 42.50%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2010, 15:54   #91
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

If.... I ever felt the need to carry (WaterWorld Senario) it'd be a .22 rifle with scope and a double barrel sawn off.... if I cant stop them at a distance...
I'd want a good spread of LG close up...
Keep them cruddy auto's and burp guns guys...
I'd want the first shot to hit as many as possible

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 23-12-2010, 03:06   #92
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog

Note that this thread is not measuring the % of people that choose to carry a gun on board. It is measuring the % of people who chose to read a thread called "The Ultimate Gun Thread".
Bingo it's statistical nonsense what we are measuring is the proportions of thoses fanatics interested In this topic. Since most gun carriers will read it and only the exercised opponents will be involved. The vast majority of non carriers are simply not interested in " gun threads"

Dave
Old 23-12-2010, 03:11   #93
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3
I am really mixed on this one.

For long range deterrence I would vote yes without reservation. A shot across the bow, or in the motor, would do a lot to stop aggressive "fishing boats" that are a 100 miles away from the nearest school.

On the boat itself? Not sure. Shotguns are better then rifles or pistols. Trouble is, if there is more then one of the bad guys, how are they going to react? Is it a "holy chit, I gotta get outta here" or is it a " **, buddy, you have gun I shoot"?

Once they are on board, is it better to try and defuse? My suspicion is that it is a 50/50 crap shoot, and the only right answer is "it depends"
My friend fire across fishing boats onside those countries territorial waters and you could a long time in a local jail. Really it's s common theme gun advocates simply have no idea how the " armed civilian" idea is seem in most other countries. It's just plain nonsense to say you'd fire across a boat at 1000 yards.

Dave
Old 23-12-2010, 03:13   #94
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey

And those are the key words! But if you have no way to protect yourself, then you're at the mercy of anyone that boards w/o permission. If they are carrying then you keep it under wraps but if it's to loot then the sight of a barrel should be enough.
How do you determine who's looting and who want to swap a crap for a ciggie they don't wear name badges announcing " looter"

Dave
Old 23-12-2010, 03:15   #95
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Johnson
OK, I missed the part about what firearm is carried.
The most useful is the Barrett 50bmg but those are expensive.
Next, and I've had these aboard several vessels, is a 12gauge pump gun with solid slugs for ammo. If being pursued by another vessel you simply take out their engine block. A few rounds through the hull below the water line also keeps them busy, and you've hopefully only shot their boat.
I served in the US military during the unpleasantness from 68-72, then carried a gun and badge for my community for many years. Having seen hundreds of people with gun shot wounds, believe me, shooting someone just makes too much of a mess.
Solid slug shotgun ammo is illegal in most countries and having a Barret will just get you locked up . All this advice is fine if you're a US citizen sailing around the coast of the US , but then why would you need it there.

Dave
Old 23-12-2010, 03:21   #96
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61
If.... I ever felt the need to carry (WaterWorld Senario) it'd be a .22 rifle with scope and a double barrel sawn off.... if I cant stop them at a distance...
I'd want a good spread of LG close up...
Keep them cruddy auto's and burp guns guys...
I'd want the first shot to hit as many as possible
Jeepers sail into foreign port with a rifle with sights and a swan off and report back to CF how you got on. I believe a lot of gaols have treasonable Internet access.

Ps sorry for all the individual posts doing a conglomerate post using the iPhone app is virtually impossible

Happy Christmas folks

Dave
Old 23-12-2010, 04:14   #97
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Jeepers sail into foreign port with a rifle with sights and a swan off and report back to CF how you got on. I believe a lot of gaols have treasonable Internet access.

Ps sorry for all the individual posts doing a conglomerate post using the iPhone app is virtually impossible

Happy Christmas folks

Dave
LOL... I did say WaterWorld Senario... no Authorities...
Anyway.... a .22 is more acceptable to most and a toy to many... unlike the guns for the blind mentioned below... pull trigger and wave around..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 23-12-2010, 04:16   #98

Boat: 42ft Colvin Gazelle - TLA HLA
Wow! Hard to believe this one has lasted so long!

Coming from the last state in the nation without any gun laws at all where anyone can carry anything that is federally legal, concealed or in the open, anywhere that is federally legal (ie no government buildings or public schools) and one where many youngsters grow up with guns as tools of the farm or instruments of sport (which around here quite often are in essence tools to put food on the table), I am hartily impressed that almost 50% of the people around me will be able to come to my aid or at least have the potential to exhibit a possitive influence on detering the practice of "piracy" or at leat robbery at sea. Personally I regret to say that I probably won't be among those good folks who carry. In this deranged world there are too many problems associeated with doing so. I would much rather have the .45 on my hip, the 12 gua by the companionway and a couple of rifles within reach. I am grateful for those of you who are faithful enough to go through the hastles to do so. Makes me feel much better that you do! Someone come take me out to blast some clay from the aftdeck and send some floating empties to neptune! Oh, and please fly a gun on board flag so I know who to anchor next to. Drinks offerred!

But where does one find one of those metal navy flare guns? I have a great old rolling block remington that would do nicely but to make one myself might fall under the deffinition of "sawn off" in this strange world.
Old 23-12-2010, 04:31   #99
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Solid slug shotgun ammo is illegal in most countries and having a Barret will just get you locked up . All this advice is fine if you're a US citizen sailing around the coast of the US , but then why would you need it there.

Dave
My take is that USA is one of the places I would feel more comfortable with a gun. and possibly also some aircover

Like Somalia - except with more Hot Dogs

Old 23-12-2010, 04:37   #100

Boat: Hans Christian 33
Quote:
Jeepers sail into foreign port with a rifle with sights and a swan off and report back to CF how you got on.
That's funny. My wife is trying to revise using "jeepers".
Old 23-12-2010, 04:59   #101
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey

My take is that USA is one of the places I would feel more comfortable with a gun. and possibly also some aircover

Like Somalia - except with more Hot Dogs
Lol
Your right david I think the navies are obviously indicting the wrong country based on conradG description it's like Somalia only much worse your average Somali has one ak47 he needs dozens
Old 23-12-2010, 05:47   #102

Boat: Traditional 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
When visiting some locales (e.g., Somalia), you need to be prepared to kill or be killed. I have no desire to do either and prefer to stay in places less prone to violence. Fortunately, there are enough of those for a lifetime of cruising.
You may be slightly incorrect there. The Somalians want you alive, not dead. You are no good to them dead. As they get no ransom money.

If you shoot at them yes, you are correct, you can expect to be killed. But if they take you alive, expect to held captive untill the marines get there either with or without the ransom. Of course, you could still end up dead during the mele that follows.

It would be interesting to know how many yachts have been taken and the stats on those with or without weopons. I am sure the pro gun guys here will have a link. Just as I am sure the non-gun guys will have a differnt link

Cheers
Oz
Old 23-12-2010, 06:11   #103

Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking
Quote:
How do you determine who's looting and who want to swap a crap for a ciggie? they don't wear name badges announcing "looter". Dave
Actually, it's pretty easy with Somali pirates (what I'm interested in). An outboard at full power 100 miles from land is NOT a fisherman.

In 16 years of cruising, we've never really felt the need to carry a weapon. We used to be stauch anti-gun folks, pointing out all the hassles. I even had a gun pointed at me at almost the exact spot where Peter Blake had a gun pointed at him, & one reason I'm still here & he isn't is that I didn't have a gun to point back (story here, & it's pretty good).

But now we're poised to recross the Indian Ocean towards South Africa. We'll be going close to known pirate grounds just north of Madagascar so we're reconsidering. I'd want something long range, as they have too much firepower for a close-in fire-fight.

My research shows that most of the Somali pirates are actually fishermen who've been promised $1000 if they bring in a boat. Yes, they have AK47s & even RPGs, but they've got little to no training & they're horrid shots. They're in tiny open boats, shooting from the hip - effective range is maybe 20-30 meters.

More to the point, every instance I've heard of where someone shot back at Somali pirates, the pirates have backed off & gone looking for easier prey. So maybe something like an FN (semi-auto, 7.62x51). Wouldn't hit anything at extreme range but maybe they'd go away. And I might be able to hit the outboard at 100m.

Unfortunately the matter is probably moot, as I can't get a gun out here. So then the trick is to sail when they can't. If you check out the excellent piracy maps at ICC Commercial Crime Services you'll see there are no attacks around the Seychelles when the seas are too rough for their open boats - say June to Oct.
Old 23-12-2010, 06:55   #104

Boat: 42ft Colvin Gazelle - TLA HLA
Quote:
Lol
Your right david I think the navies are obviously indicting the wrong country based on conradG description it's like Somalia only much worse your average Somali has one ak47 he needs dozens
I won't take the bait but there are a few major differences. Here the fact that law abiding folk are likely to be armed deminishes the opportunity for criminals by the potential risk to their own life. All law enforcement personell who I know don't "indict" but welcome law abiding citizens being armed. So do I.

Excelent post John.
Can you get your hands on some black powder over there? Even with light confinement and no projectile it can make an impressive show and tell from a distance!A piece of mild steel with a whole drilled in it, a small touch hole and the charge "rammed" with some wax makes quite a report and quite a show. Of course lead balls aren't that much more difficult and only will ad a splash to the show. Made cannons with the boys when they were growing up. Certainly will easily send a .30 cal ball through a 4x4 but not much accuracy. Radio and good lock in seem to be the only recourse if they procede. Seems to work sometimes for the big ships but of course the forces out there aren't bound to help yachts as they are to the commercial interests.
Good luck!
Old 23-12-2010, 06:57   #105
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Sung to the tune of 'Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow':

The weather outside is frightful
Think I'm gonna buy a rifle
There's really no place to run
From a gun, from a gun, from a gun.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Brad