Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

View Poll Results: Do have a gun or plan to have a gun on your boat?
Gun - NO 92 57.50%
Gun - YES 68 42.50%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 21-12-2010, 21:29   #61
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
one was an evangelical priest,whos wife had left him,fortunately he couldnt find his 357 so shot he himself in the foot with his 22 pistol because he didnt think he was feeling enough pain!!!!!

the other was my friends dad,showing us 15 year olds the correct way to use a 9mm pistol,removed the magazine and dry fired into the ground,only problem was there was still one up the spout and his foot was in the way!!!!!!
to this day have a great respect for guns,and will never listen to an adult!!!!!!!

Ignorance with a shot of stupidity can do that stuff, I agree.

Your 9mm instructor is a bit daft don't you think.

The priest story - no comment. Too far off the subject of OP.

Old 21-12-2010, 21:39   #62
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
back in the days when men were men,and everyone else was nervous!!!!!!!!!!

Old 21-12-2010, 21:51   #63
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey

Actually it's a POLL started by Don Lucas!

As for training some of us have been in combat situations and know when and how to use them and at what time. Some of us might even be police or agents who is even more professional at arms.
But for those who have never owned, let alone fired a weapon, yeah, don't carry a firearm. You'll probably get hurt if it came down to the bottom line.

Here in the USA we have the constitutional right to own fire arms and some even make a profession of it, some are collectors of antiques. There are shooting clubs that meet every month to practice and show off their new rifles, scopes and learn reloading skills.

But to try to under mind a USAier excising their rights just seems like jealousy. If you don't want to carry that's your choice but to put down the ones who have the right and the training, seems a bit illogical.

Just because we have guns doesn't make us killers or mean, we just have the right and take it were it's legal. And it is legal at sea! It's just in foreign ports we have to check them in.

In the USA I'll bet most gun owners are better people to be around then the one who don't own guns. It sure seems that way with all the people I know. Only the criminals have guns in most other countries, excluding military and police, of course. Were not criminals, but you would think so to read some of these posts. Some even get outright nasty.
Many many countries allow their citizens to own firearms and own a considerable number and variety so it's not jealousy that informs this debate.

Most people outside the US especially in countries in Europe are in favour of very tight gun control and buying firearms for personal protection is not a valid reason to own a gun. This is a public viewpoint not a government one. Given a chance most public opinion here would probably ban all ownership. That's the key difference with the US

None ever suggested anybody was a killer let's not exeragerate the argument.

It's a bit weird to suggest that those that don't have guns arnt nice people. I don't think owning a gun changes your basic personality

In most countries outside the US gun crime is very low, the criminals outside of a few serious armed bank raiders and drugs lords don't have guns. The guy that breaks into my house is not armed.

Back to boats. As I maintained it's not a good deterrent and carrying one going foreign is one PITA there's much more involved in just declaring it at an arrival port. Allmost all the cruisers I know that have carried firearms have at one time or another not declared them just to avoid the hassle the penalties however of they were caught were very severe .

That's my last word on it. Don't want to annoy the mods

Dave
Old 21-12-2010, 22:02   #64
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

thank you dave(goboatingnow)we are not all gun crazed numpties,this post is supposedly the ultimate one.but very interesting to see who does and who dosent,with out getting acrimonoius and getting side tracked,sorry if you feel strongly about the issue,so do i,see the guys i support www.shelterbox.org
Old 21-12-2010, 22:31   #65
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Since most of my Cruising is along the Mid-Atlantic at this time.

I wouldn't carry a gun. Maryland is really wierd about that.

These gun threads are really pointless.
Old 21-12-2010, 22:39   #66
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

i think the whole point of the thread was to see who tried to undermine it,rather than the issue it self,about objectivity,and not slagging of the the next poster.
objectively we have at the moment 26 with and 36 with out.
intresting to see how many of those are world cruisers,and how many terrestrial icwers
but please correct me if im wrong on the former
Old 22-12-2010, 04:48   #67
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410
Just to move page back up for viewing to see if it can get more votes.

And the point of the thread was just to collect the votes, not start a debate that would become heated. I just thought it would be interesting to get a view of where people stood on the issue. I probably named it wrong and should have called a "Poll" instead of "Thread".
Old 22-12-2010, 05:20   #68

It's only a survey until the NRA hears about it and sends their members in; then it will become propaganda. I vote no.
Old 22-12-2010, 06:45   #69
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
And the point of the thread was just to collect the votes, not start a debate that would become heated. I just thought it would be interesting to get a view of where people stood on the issue. I probably named it wrong and should have called a "Poll" instead of "Thread".
I think "Ultimate Gun" in the title kinda guaranteed the style of responses

But all bumps count

FWIW I haven't voted as not "cruising" - in any event can't see me ever wanting to go anywhere that I would really feel a need to carry a gun. Having said that, I am intending to fit a couple of gun ports (ok, portholes ), and have also been musing over a large Steel Danforth Anchor mounted upside down on a winch as a rotable firing platform - at that point it would seem a shame not to have a gun..........or some folks to shoot at
Old 22-12-2010, 06:47   #70
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410
David that sounds like a NO vote. You should post it.
Old 22-12-2010, 08:34   #71

No vote for me. Twenty or so years ago it would have been yes. Mainly for fun and target shooting not for an anticipated pirate. Poll results are surprising to me at approx 50/50 split. I would have guessed 10-15% carry. I have always thought that those that are quick to show their firepower off are probbly much quicker to utilize that as an option. Doesn't exactly make me want to come over and bring you a beer.
Old 22-12-2010, 08:48   #72
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Modified Choate 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gongal View Post
I have always thought that those that are quick to show their firepower off are probbly much quicker to utilize that as an option. Doesn't exactly make me want to come over and bring you a beer.
See, being betrayed as the bad guy again.

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
Old 22-12-2010, 09:10   #73

not the intent to make those that carry out to be the bad guy. I was just surprised at the percentage of those that do. I guess that in itself says alot about responsible gun owners. As a father of a 2 year old I have chosen to eliminate one item that could be a risk. In my prior years I would have guns in the house loaded and accessible. Without that accesiblity I personally do not see a benifit to having it. That is just me, others may feel differently. My point is that outside the sporting arena (hunting, targets, clays or gun shows etc) the folks that will brandish their weponary in a casual setting are the ones that I could see on the 6:00 news someday. I am sure many people understand this, as the large percentage that choose to carry onboard (approx 50%) is somewhat surprising. I would therefore make the point that there is apparantly a great deal of responsible gun owners who keep it to themselves. These people do not concern me in the least. Their right, their choice and obviously good decision making. First round (no pun intended) on me!
Old 22-12-2010, 09:37   #74

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Quote:
as the large percentage that choose to carry onboard (approx 50%) is somewhat surprising.
Note that this thread is not measuring the % of people that choose to carry a gun on board. It is measuring the % of people who chose to read a thread called "The Ultimate Gun Thread".
Old 22-12-2010, 09:49   #75
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Modified Choate 40
Accusations

Quote:
not the intent to make those that carry out to be the bad guy. BUT
I was just surprised at the percentage of those that do. I guess that in itself says alot about responsible gun owners. As a father of a 2 year old I have chosen to eliminate one item that could be a risk. In my prior years I would have guns in the house loaded and accessible. Without that accesiblity I personally do not see a benifit to having it. That is just me, others may feel differently. My point is that outside the sporting arena (hunting, targets, clays or gun shows etc) the folks that will brandish their weponary in a casual setting are the ones that I could see on the 6:00 news someday. I am sure many people understand this, as the large percentage that choose to carry onboard (approx 50%) is somewhat surprising. I would therefore make the point that there is apparantly a great deal of responsible gun owners who keep it to themselves. These people do not concern me in the least. Their right, their choice and obviously good decision making. First round (no pun intended) on me!
Quite contraire!

As a 5 YO I use to go rabbit hunting with my brothers. And my father, carried a gun most of his childhood on the ranch and as a Merchant Marine pre 1970. And my fathers father, and my mother too carried guns. No one in my family ever murdered anyone!

This is stereotyping! Where's your stats on this?

It's the people that hide the fact they have guns are the ones I'd worry about!

I don't plan to carry a gun aboard per se but to be told that I can't, that would be against my rights. All the more reason to.

Besides if the wife is aboard I wouldn't need a gun. She could blow your ear drums out with her voice.

"A nation of sheep breed a government of wolves". If you're not willing to stick up for your rights then why bother doing anything.

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
Closed Thread

Tags
Guns

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: