Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2014, 04:11   #136

Boat: 393
Re: UK yacht Cheeki Rafiki missing in mid-Atlantic

This confirms that it was the US Coast Guard that instructed the Maersk Kure to move on.

Please note: RCC stands for US Coast Guard Rescue Coordination Center, SAR for Search and Rescue

Maersk Line Social :: Statement on the search and rescue (SAR) of Cheeki Rafiki

Statement on the search and rescue (SAR) of Cheeki Rafiki

Nina Marie Skyum-NielsenGlobal Community Manager20/05/2014

We have talked to the owners of Maersk Kure and can share below info on this weekend’s Search and Rescue (SAR): On Saturday morning, 17 May, Maersk Kure, a chartered container vessel owned by Costamare in Greece, received a request from the U.S. Coast Guard’s Rescue Coordination Centre (RCC) in Boston to assist with a Search and Rescue (SAR) Operation for sailing yacht Cheeki Rafiki. Maersk Kure deviated to the area, where the RCC believed the yacht was positioned. During the SAR, Maersk Kure spotted an object which looked like the hull of a sailing boat. Maersk Kure reported this to the RCC. Maersk Kure was advised by the RCC to continue the SAR at another position. On Sunday morning, 18 May, the RCC informed Maersk Kure that the Search and Rescue Operation was suspended and Maersk Kure should proceed to its port of destination.
- See more at: Maersk Line Social :: Statement on the search and rescue (SAR) of Cheeki Rafiki
plato-gb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 05:18   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by plato-gb View Post
This confirms that it was the US Coast Guard that instructed the Maersk Kure to move on.

Please note: RCC stands for US Coast Guard Rescue Coordination Center, SAR for Search and Rescue

Maersk Line Social :: Statement on the search and rescue (SAR) of Cheeki Rafiki

Statement on the search and rescue (SAR) of Cheeki Rafiki

Nina Marie Skyum-NielsenGlobal Community Manager20/05/2014

We have talked to the owners of Maersk Kure and can share below info on this weekend’s Search and Rescue (SAR): On Saturday morning, 17 May, Maersk Kure, a chartered container vessel owned by Costamare in Greece, received a request from the U.S. Coast Guard’s Rescue Coordination Centre (RCC) in Boston to assist with a Search and Rescue (SAR) Operation for sailing yacht Cheeki Rafiki. Maersk Kure deviated to the area, where the RCC believed the yacht was positioned. During the SAR, Maersk Kure spotted an object which looked like the hull of a sailing boat. Maersk Kure reported this to the RCC. Maersk Kure was advised by the RCC to continue the SAR at another position. On Sunday morning, 18 May, the RCC informed Maersk Kure that the Search and Rescue Operation was suspended and Maersk Kure should proceed to its port of destination.
- See more at: Maersk Line Social :: Statement on the search and rescue (SAR) of Cheeki Rafiki
"Maersk Kure spotted an object which looked like the hull of a sailing boat. Maersk Kure reported this to the RCC. Maersk Kure was advised by the RCC to continue the SAR at another position."

That narrows it down. How hard would it have been to get a positive ID that the hull they came upon was in fact Cheeki Rafki and not some other boat. The photo of the over turned hull does not show much. Would love to know the lat and lon of that hull too. Did they identify the hull color and the "First" decal on the side let alone the name on the transom. All I've read about is an "overturned hull". It may be Cheeki Rafki but, that's a big assumption without some positive proof that it is Cheeki Rafki and not some other boat drifting out in the Atlantic. Another thing the Maersk Kure was then sent to another position. Was that the area where the PIRB signals were sent? How far away was it from the hull? Would love to know that too.

Seems this situation would be perfect for for some crowd sourced satellite searching for a life raft like was attempted with the NINA last year. That was unsuccessful but, in this case there are two known GPS PIRB signals to start with which should narrow things down a bit.
Old 20-05-2014, 05:25   #138

Boat: None (yet!?)

"Seems this situation would be perfect for for some crowd sourced satellite searching for a life raft like was attempted with the NINA last year. That was unsuccessful but, in this case there are two known GPS PIRB signals to start with which should narrow things down a bit."

- Can this be done?

With over 140,000 sigs on the online petition the crowd is a large one.
Is this an option?

Andy
andbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 05:29   #139

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

getting back to some issues -- we crossed over last year - crew of 2 -- and glad we did -- we are in the med and the weather is a bit nastier than usual according to the locals -- we keep watching the noaa long range fcst and the azore has not really established itself this year and made a mess of the atlantic --
we are really glad we left last year as if we had not we may well still be sitting --

not sure why they were so far north but then again i am not the capt and refuse to speculate --

CG seemed to have called it off early --

May God be with them
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 05:30   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by andbell View Post
"Seems this situation would be perfect for for some crowd sourced satellite searching for a life raft like was attempted with the NINA last year. That was unsuccessful but, in this case there are two known GPS PIRB signals to start with which should narrow things down a bit."

- Can this be done?

With over 140,000 sigs on the online petition the crowd is a large one.
Is this an option?

Andy
It was done last year looking for debris of the schooner NINA. There was a satellite company that offered their satellite data for the crowd sourcing. I don't remember the name of the company but, maybe someone here on CF does.
Old 20-05-2014, 05:41   #141

Boat: None (yet!?)

Hi Capt Mike

I searched for Nina and it looks like the company
involved was Tomnod.
From a quick google search it looks like they may have already been contacted.

It would be good to at least try to do something
andbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 05:53   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by andbell View Post
Hi Capt Mike

I searched for Nina and it looks like the company
involved was Tomnod.
From a quick google search it looks like they may have already been contacted.

It would be good to at least try to do something
Just checked the Tomnod site nothing setup yet. Hopefully they will have something soon though.
Old 20-05-2014, 06:01   #143

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Thanks John. I've used both the weatherfax (Radio) and GRIBs (sat phone), but even with all this data, I can't say I really have a good grasp of weather beyond what the arrows show me.

Besides sailing the Caribbean, this will be the first real passage for my wife, our boat, and myself. I know it's hard to predict the weather beyond 4 days out..... so just deciding today is the day to shove off maybe the hardest thing for us to do. Reading threads like this about poor sailors out there isn't helping the confidence.

Matt
Tropical weather activity also seems to be occuring more frequently early in the season. In the NW carib at least, I've had to dodge a few systems in May. So, you might consider earlier than June 1.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 06:03   #144

Boat: Farrier f27

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
I've been suggesting that folks on this forum consider buying a gumby suit for some time. Considering the cost of a liferaft and inspections, they are dirt cheap. I got mine used on Craigslist. They usually run about $150, and are an item which has generally never been used. Fishermen are required to buy them, and often sell when they quit fishing. There are always several on Seattle CL around this price range. I even got two kids models used on CL, as well as two adult models, all for around $500. Much much less than the liferaft and inspection, and at least as likely to save your life. All Alaskan fishermen practice putting on their Gumby suits fast. This incident certainly seems to reinforce that.

Stearns Immersion/ Survival Suit

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STEARNS-IMME...item417c26e807

http://www.landfallnavigation.com/stearnsi590.html
Gumby suits have a limited life of around 10 yrs. The seams start to fail and their usefulness becomes greatly reduced when they aren't keeping the water out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 06:16   #145
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
"Maersk Kure spotted an object which looked like the hull of a sailing boat. Maersk Kure reported this to the RCC. Maersk Kure was advised by the RCC to continue the SAR at another position."

That narrows it down. How hard would it have been to get a positive ID that the hull they came upon was in fact Cheeki Rafki and not some other boat. The photo of the over turned hull does not show much. Would love to know the lat and lon of that hull too. Did they identify the hull color and the "First" decal on the side let alone the name on the transom. All I've read about is an "overturned hull". It may be Cheeki Rafki but, that's a big assumption without some positive proof that it is Cheeki Rafki and not some other boat drifting out in the Atlantic. Another thing the Maersk Kure was then sent to another position. Was that the area where the PIRB signals were sent? How far away was it from the hull? Would love to know that too.
Actually, given the degree of immersion of the inverted hull, and the position of the name relative to the sugar scoop that would have been 'overhanging' the transom when inverted, seems like it would have been virtually impossible to obtain a visual confirmation of the name from the deck of a 1,000' merchant vessel, short of putting a boat and crew in the water...

They found a literal needle in a haystack when diverted to the position they were instructed... Seriously, how many OTHER abandoned hulks with deep spade rudders and dark grey/black bottom paint is it reasonable to suppose might also be floating about that very particular part of the Atlantic?

Probably just me, but I'm really mystified at much of this criticism being directed at the Master of the MAERSK KURE...
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 06:46   #146
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: UK yacht Cheeki Rafiki missing in mid-Atlantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
Probably just me, but I'm really mystified at much of this criticism being directed at the Master of the MAERSK KURE...
Father forgive them.. they know not what they waffle about..
Just heard.. the USCG resuming rescue planning.. what this actually means..???

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 07:19   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
Actually, given the degree of immersion of the inverted hull, and the position of the name relative to the sugar scoop that would have been 'overhanging' the transom when inverted, seems like it would have been virtually impossible to obtain a visual confirmation of the name from the deck of a 1,000' merchant vessel, short of putting a boat and crew in the water...

They found a literal needle in a haystack when diverted to the position they were instructed... Seriously, how many OTHER abandoned hulks with deep spade rudders and dark grey/black bottom paint is it reasonable to suppose might also be floating about that very particular part of the Atlantic?

I don't want to come off as super critical of the Master of MAERSK KURE I'm really not. Diverting his ship is commendable and gets a hats off from me. It probably is the boat but, "assumption is the mother of all ***kups". Personally I would like a little more positive ID I would have thought the Coast Guard would want a little more positive ID too than "overturned hull". I'm sure the families of the sailors on board certainly would want that too. In the photo of the boat in your post the "First" decal is under water. With the hull flipped it would be closer to the surface. In the waves it should have been visible at some point from the ship. That would at least be one clue. The scoop overhang is a good point the name might be hard to see. I agree placing crew on the water even if they had a suitable boat (which they probably did not have) to inspect further may have be too risky. But, only one photo of the overturned hull? Jeez! Can't believe there are not more photos or more verification required than found "overturned hull".
Old 20-05-2014, 07:27   #148
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: UK yacht Cheeki Rafiki missing in mid-Atlantic

Report just coming in.. USCG say a plane is enroute to the search area..
Now just gotta hope its not just a token flight..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 07:29   #149

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat

Lots of great posts here. May God help these guys.
My thoughts:
1. Its been reported that the last communication was "early friday morning" and that they were "taking on water". And also that the PLB beacons were set off at 2:30AM friday. Was the time diff between the last communication and the signals minutes or hours. Did they have enough time to get ready.
2. A life raft, EPIRB, or survival suit suit stored below deck? Pointless in a sudden event situation.
3. SAR called off way too early IMHO. I don't know the facts and I'm not a SAR expert but it just seems early. Glad to read they are resuming re-rescue planning (thanks Boatman61).
4. I have been increasingly amazed the past weeks since MH370 went missing about how immense our oceans really are and how little, relatively speaking to on-shore, tracking and rescue capability there really is off shore. It should come as no surprise that these guys have not been found. The fact that they even found a capsized hull even if they knew it was there was amazing.
5. I am absolutely shocked that even the best EPIRBS available on the market today only last 48-72 hours. PLB's even less. That is unbelievable to me. Can someone tell me why an EPIRB cannot be manufactured with a battery able to transmit a signal for weeks not hours. Its 2014 AD for crying out loud.
My thoughts only.
Old 20-05-2014, 07:30   #150

Apparently the USCG has listened, and is resuming the search:
Search for missing sailors set to resume | Western Morning News
The right thing to do under the circumstances.
Good luck guys.
mistermizu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yacht