Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2014, 05:48   #331

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
Re: UK yacht Cheeki Rafiki missing in mid-Atlantic

It seems a bit strange, given all the search coverage, that they haven't spotted at least one body. Presumably at least the crew on watch at the time of the capsize were wearing PFDs.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2014, 05:55   #332

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Well on this one we will have to agree to disagree. Rear bulkheads do not crumble in well found boats in moderate conditions and keels don't fall off well built offshore yachts. Crew smarts can not make up for marginally built boats in certain conditions. I understand your point and it is of course a good one but the last 2 examples we have seen of sinking production boats had everything to do with the boat and much less to do with the crew.
When they are making these racer cruisers they are optimized for performance. They have extremely narrow sections of the keel to hull area because the thinner that joint is the better the boat will go upwind due to the end plate effect of the foil but of course unless you are using some real high tech glass and fittings it will be a weak point and after a long period of use its failure rate can be much higher than a purpose built boat with a much wider keel and several more keel bolts to hold it in place. Having one fail in sheltered waters might not be a huge deal but in rough offshore conditions, well it is a huge deal. I'd rather blame the builder on these situations than the crew. Yes you can say they sailed too far north but a rugged built boat would have dealt with those conditions, it was after all certainly not the perfect storm.
Whilst 2 production type vessels have been the last ones lost there have been two older more traditional types now at the bottom of the ocean. Fortunately both of those had crews lifted off. there is no evidence to point solely at the vessel design in either case.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2014, 05:57   #333

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
It seems a bit strange, given all the search coverage, that they haven't spotted at least one body. Presumably at least the crew on watch at the time of the capsize were wearing PFDs.
Its a bloody big ocean that far offshore and spotting objects is much more difficult than many think.

Cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2014, 06:00   #334
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: UK yacht Cheeki Rafiki missing in mid-Atlantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
Not an easy thing out there.. also.. was anyone topside..??
Could just be they were hove to and all below the aim being to 'coddle' the boat in light of the water ingress..
Either way.. we won't know for sure till someone lifts the boat.. if that's decided..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2014, 06:16   #335

Boat: O'Day 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Not an easy thing out there.. also.. was anyone topside..??
Could just be they were hove to and all below the aim being to 'coddle' the boat in light of the water ingress..
Either way.. we won't know for sure till someone lifts the boat.. if that's decided..
BBC News just commented that it's the UK's responsibility to recover the wreck (which, of course, is perfectly true). They can't just leave it out there and, I would suggest, it would be highly inappropriate for, say, the US Navy to use it as target practice...
tonywatson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2014, 06:32   #336

Boat: O'Day 40

All - a posting on CR's Facebook page from someone who sounds like he is well informed... I quote
"We were briefed on the spec of the boat at yesterday's meeting with the foreign minister, head of the UK coastguard, and US embassy attaché. Please rest assured that everything has been considered, and the dangers of raising unfounded hope, based solely on uninformed speculation, amongst grieving families."
Amen to that
tonywatson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2014, 06:57   #337
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Well on this one we will have to agree to disagree. Rear bulkheads do not crumble in well found boats in moderate conditions and keels don't fall off well built offshore yachts. Crew smarts can not make up for marginally built boats in certain conditions. I understand your point and it is of course a good one but the last 2 examples we have seen of sinking production boats had everything to do with the boat and much less to do with the crew.
When they are making these racer cruisers they are optimized for performance. They have extremely narrow sections of the keel to hull area because the thinner that joint is the better the boat will go upwind due to the end plate effect of the foil but of course unless you are using some real high tech glass and fittings it will be a weak point and after a long period of use its failure rate can be much higher than a purpose built boat with a much wider keel and several more keel bolts to hold it in place. Having one fail in sheltered waters might not be a huge deal but in rough offshore conditions, well it is a huge deal. I'd rather blame the builder on these situations than the crew. Yes you can say they sailed too far north but a rugged built boat would have dealt with those conditions, it was after all certainly not the perfect storm.

We agree more then we disagree. The 50 that dropped a rudder In my view clearly has significant prior damage that had not been fixed properly.

The first series are good boats. Yes the chord is short and they do not make good heavy weather boats. So the skipper should have taken that into account. Nor did they probably know how much wear and tear they had.

No one can say " a rugged boat would have dealt with those conditions " were you there , were you the skipper. How do you know. so called "rugged" boats are lost too.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 24-05-2014, 07:06   #338

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

The link in post #312 has a clear picture of the hull/keel attachment point. Looks like some clues to what happened may be visible.
Old 24-05-2014, 07:23   #339
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Here is the image that confused me (double rudders) and an image that shows the damage from the bow view (clearly in line).

SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2014, 07:31   #340

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

Why are we going strait to the keel fell off vs them hitting something and it ripping off...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2014, 07:34   #341

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba0_1 View Post
Why are we going strait to the keel fell off vs them hitting something and it ripping off...

They had flooding issues (reportedly from an unknown source) for some hours prior to the incident. This is why they'd contacted the CG and were diverting to the Azores. If a collision had caused the initial flooding, would they not have reported that?

Sent from my Windows Phone using Tapatalk
Old 24-05-2014, 07:37   #342

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

is it feasible that all the bolts would break at once from stress. I would think if a bolt snap you would hear it. If more than one gave way wouldn't there be some notice, a vibration or something in the boat to give some warning that there was something wrong.

scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2014, 07:38   #343

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Certainly didn't simply fall off.
Old 24-05-2014, 07:45   #344
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: UK yacht Cheeki Rafiki missing in mid-Atlantic

Being hove to and sliding down a big wave and colliding with a solid object semi submerged against an already weakened keel would fit the damage scenario.. don't see the 'keel just fell off' scenario somehow..
But.. just my speculation..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2014, 07:45   #345

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
Certainly didn't simply fall off.

+1 full agreement

Sent from my Windows Phone using Tapatalk

Tags
yacht