Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-05-2014, 08:39   #151

Boat: Oyster 66
Re: UK yacht Cheeki Rafiki missing in mid-Atlantic

There was a bit of concern as to why the boat was so far north. Sure they are risking worse weather, but it is interesting that they didn't really extend the journey much if their aim was to improve speed by looking for better conditions.

Here is their last position and great circle routes to get them there and the direct route to near Southampton. They were about 350nm NW of the direct route, but the route they took would only have been 3561nm vs 3479nm direct. (Measured on MaxSea). So only 82nm further. That distance requires speeds of more than 2.3% better to give a better vmg. That might be 0.16kt at 7.0kt. Very much worth a detour for if you judge the conditions to be safe.

From the pilot charts I note this area is actually at the limit of icebergs in May. Also, this location puts them firmly in the easterly flow of the gulfstream.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	route.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	445.9 KB
ID:	81628  

Old 20-05-2014, 08:40   #152

Boat: jeps got it
Send a message via Skype™ to mikethedane

Hi All

just in case you want to show your support in the effort in keep searching for the crew

https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitio...tstopsearching

Old 20-05-2014, 08:42   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by category4jay View Post
2. A life raft, EPIRB, or survival suit suit stored below deck? Pointless in a sudden event situation.
Most yachts would keep their liferaft on deck, either at the transom, in the cockpit, or on the foredeck in a bracket. Some yachts have hydrostatic releases fitted, which ensure that the raft deploys automatically if the boat suddenly sinks or capsizes. Someone must know if Cheeki Rafiki had a hydrostatic release, and where their life raft was installed. If they did lose their keel and capsize suddenly, you would hope the liferaft had deployed and remained tethered to the boat (there is a line specifically for that purpose). Then the crewmembers could abandon to the raft.
Old 20-05-2014, 08:54   #154

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Jeez! Can't believe there are not more photos or more verification required than found "overturned hull".
Hi Mike
We only saw one photo. Doesnt mean others were not taken

There is a paucity of information released to the public regarding this situation. It does not mean or infer ANYTHING nefarious.

It just means they probably have nothing concrete to state, but it does not mean that a continuous flow of information is lacking........... just nothing that is of use to the public except the news that all want to hear, a finding of a liferaft and all aboard.

I know each member of a rescue search takes the job seriously and works harder than any other profession I know. It becomes personal. Even the guy who called off the search is probably examining his soul for a reason to continue in the face of information and fact analysis that has been built up over years.

The aircraft sent will be gridding the area based on seastate, wind and probability. If ANYTHING is there, with satellite help and visual observation, they should find it.

The satellites have been observing the area non stop in the absence of human presence......
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 08:55   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Report just coming in.. USCG say a plane is enroute to the search area..
Now just gotta hope its not just a token flight..
Looks like a long way to the search area and a long way back. Wonder how much time they can actually spend there? Hoping for a positive outcome.
Old 20-05-2014, 08:55   #156

Boat: Oyster 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by category4jay View Post
5. I am absolutely shocked that even the best EPIRBS available on the market today only last 48-72 hours. PLB's even less. That is unbelievable to me. Can someone tell me why an EPIRB cannot be manufactured with a battery able to transmit a signal for weeks not hours. Its 2014 AD for crying out loud.
My thoughts only.
Until recently the manufacturers made a lot of money replacing batteries and so made it hard for the user to change his own batteries. (Rather a hypocrisy when promoting safety products that were not as safe as they should have been). Now that EPIRBS are much cheaper the manufacturers won't be selling so many replacement batteries - people just buy a new unit.

When replacing the EPRIRB it is now possible to get one with user changeable batteries and keep a spare vacuum packed set with it. Maybe best is to get two EPIRBS, one packed with the liferaft and one with the boat. The second battery pack could be used 2 hours on 2 off. Should last a week set up that way instead of 2 days. With life-jacket activated PLBs further bases are covered.
Old 20-05-2014, 08:57   #157

Boat: O'Day 40

At last!! Well done to all petitioners...100,000 and counting for forcing the USCG's hand..
US Coastguard to resume search within the hour | Meridian - ITV News
Old 20-05-2014, 09:29   #158
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
There was a bit of concern as to why the boat was so far north. Sure they are risking worse weather, but it is interesting that they didn't really extend the journey much if their aim was to improve speed by looking for better conditions.

Here is their last position and great circle routes to get them there and the direct route to near Southampton. They were about 350nm NW of the direct route, but the route they took would only have been 3561nm vs 3479nm direct. (Measured on MaxSea). So only 82nm further. That distance requires speeds of more than 2.3% better to give a better vmg. That might be 0.16kt at 7.0kt. Very much worth a detour for if you judge the conditions to be safe.

From the pilot charts I note this area is actually at the limit of icebergs in May. Also, this location puts them firmly in the easterly flow of the gulfstream.

Even the greats circle route is too far north at this time of year IMHO. If you'd don't get hammered of the NE east of the Anericam continent , you can get hammered on the western approaches.

Dave
Old 20-05-2014, 09:29   #159
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

So, where were the Brit rescue teams in any of this BTW? Just asking.
Old 20-05-2014, 09:31   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Hi Mike
We only saw one photo. Doesnt mean others were not taken

There is a paucity of information released to the public regarding this situation. It does not mean or infer ANYTHING nefarious.

It just means they probably have nothing concrete to state, but it does not mean that a continuous flow of information is lacking........... just nothing that is of use to the public except the news that all want to hear, a finding of a liferaft and all aboard.

I know each member of a rescue search takes the job seriously and works harder than any other profession I know. It becomes personal. Even the guy who called off the search is probably examining his soul for a reason to continue in the face of information and fact analysis that has been built up over years.

The aircraft sent will be gridding the area based on seastate, wind and probability. If ANYTHING is there, with satellite help and visual observation, they should find it.

The satellites have been observing the area non stop in the absence of human presence......
Weavis:

I agree with what you say. There may be more info the authorities have than they are publishing. I agree there is nothing nefarious about that. But, if they have identified the overturned hull as that of Cheeki Rafiki how hard is it to say "We have identified the over turned hull as that of the Cheeki Rakfiki." Ok done! Not just say found "overturned hull". Either it is or it isn't or it's just an assumption on their part. Why is so hard to tell the public what they actually know or don't know!

IMO they should also be publishing more facts not less. Things like lat and lon location of the hull as well as the PIRB locations. Maybe even plots of where they think a life raft or persons may have drifted to etc...There could be other boats and ships plying those areas who may then keep an even sharper look out for a raft, debris etc... More eyeballs looking the better IMO not just only relying on the SAR crews to affect a positive outcome. I would never be critical of the work the Coast Guard and SAR crews do. It just seems the public relations department could do a better job with releasing the information and what is known or not known. So that others who may be in the area could have a heads up and maybe help in the search.
Old 20-05-2014, 09:35   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
They are checking the bars looking for Boatman61. They need someone who knows the waters out there.
Old 20-05-2014, 09:38   #162

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
I've been suggesting that folks on this forum consider buying a gumby suit for some time. Considering the cost of a liferaft and inspections, they are dirt cheap. I got mine used on Craigslist. They usually run about $150, and are an item which has generally never been used. Fishermen are required to buy them, and often sell when they quit fishing. There are always several on Seattle CL around this price range. I even got two kids models used on CL, as well as two adult models, all for around $500. Much much less than the liferaft and inspection, and at least as likely to save your life. All Alaskan fishermen practice putting on their Gumby suits fast. This incident certainly seems to reinforce that.

Stearns Immersion/ Survival Suit

Stearns Immersion Suit Cold Water Immersion Type s Suit Adult Universal | eBay

Stearns i590 SOLAS Immersion Suit

Certainly not the cheap version, but a promising development in immersion suit technology: http://http://www.oceannavigator.com/May-June-2014/Survival-suit/
Old 20-05-2014, 09:52   #163

Boat: None (yet!?)

Quote:
I am from the UK and I would really like the UK Gov to fully support
this search in terms of assets just not by words.
Old 20-05-2014, 09:56   #164

Boat: 1973 Jacobsen 110'

The search resumed today. U.S. Coast Guard Resumes High Seas Search for Missing Sailors - gCaptain Maritime & Offshore News
Old 20-05-2014, 09:59   #165

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Erm, well the RAF scrapped all the Nimrods

BBC News - Nimrod aircraft scrapped at Stockport BAE factory

We do have some sentinels, but we sent one to Nigeria to look for some kids, and the others well they are tracking Russian subs on their way to the US Eastern seaboard.

Tags
yacht

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: