Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 14:10   #1

UK SSR. nationality?

Hi all, quick question for those with their yachts registered in the UK.
I'm a kiwi looking at options to register overseas to avoid the hassle and expense of Cat 1. The UK small ships registry seems best option. I have UK address sorted but one thing I'm unsure about is they ask for my nationality, should I just say i'm British as nationality doesn't seem to be put on the registration slip or should I put NZ - but NZ may raise 'red flags' as they know people do this to avoid Cat 1, while if I put British my name may be checked on some data base.... What have others done who have gone this route?Is ones nationality put on the SSR slip u receive?
I'm not normally resident in the UK.
Thanks in advance -- Gull
gull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 00:44   #2
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: UK SSR. nationality?

As I am sure you know - the UK SSR is only available to UK residents. No Citizenship requirement though.

Obviously you are not the first to "magick up" a UK address - and you won't be the last. AFAIK the UK big brother does not cross match folks on the SSR against any passport records or any other records. Will you be caught out from the UK end? Doubtful, but can never say never.

Been a while since I had a boat on the SSR, but I don't recall my nationaility being on the Certificate.

Personally I would stick with your actual nationality. From the sounds of it the risk comes from the NZ end, and they don't need any database link to the UK SSR to catch you out - just to dig into where you actually live in NZ (tax records? / telephone book? etc) enough to dispute the SSR being a valid registration until you can prove otherwise - and with only a "magick" UK address that would be difficult......

....of course whether the NZ authorities are that switched on (or care!) is a seperate matter, of which you likely know more than me.

FWIW, you could get a 100% legit (UK part 1) Registration from Jersey in own name as open to Commonwealth citizens and no residency requirement - of course would not be as cheap as the SSR.

As always, yer pays yer money and takes yer chances.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:03   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by gull View Post
Hi all, quick question for those with their yachts registered in the UK.
I'm a kiwi looking at options to register overseas to avoid the hassle and expense of Cat 1. The UK small ships registry seems best option. I have UK address sorted but one thing I'm unsure about is they ask for my nationality, should I just say i'm British as nationality doesn't seem to be put on the registration slip or should I put NZ - but NZ may raise 'red flags' as they know people do this to avoid Cat 1, while if I put British my name may be checked on some data base.... What have others done who have gone this route?Is ones nationality put on the SSR slip u receive?
I'm not normally resident in the UK.
Thanks in advance -- Gull
You can apply for the SSR very simply online:
https://mcanet.mcga.gov.uk/ssr/ssr/

The guidelines state:

A small ship may be registered if it is owned by one or more of the following persons who are 'ordinarily resident' in the UK:-

British citizens

Persons who are nationals of a European Union or European Economic Area country other than the United Kingdom and are established * in the UK

British Dependant Territories citizens; British Overseas citizens; persons who under the British Nationality Act 1991 are British subjects; persons who under the Hong Kong (British Nationality) Order are British Nationals Overseas, and

Commonwealth citizens not falling within those paragraphs

You do, however, need to be a resident (live in the UK for 180 days of each year). They are clamping down on the residency requirement and may ask for proof of this, particularly if a non British credit card is used for payment.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:33   #4

Thanks guys,appreciate it, good info.
That is interesting, you are right, it states it is open to commonwealth citizens but does anyone know how , if it all, commonwealth citizens gain anymore 'favour' than say a US citizen residing in the UK. That's the confusing part.
The whole 'commonwealth' clause seems completely meaningless unless I'm missing something...probably
gull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:58   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: UK SSR. nationality?

Quote:
That is interesting, you are right, it states it is open to commonwealth citizens but does anyone know how , if it all, commonwealth citizens gain anymore 'favour' than say a US citizen residing in the UK. That's the confusing part.
The whole 'commonwealth' clause seems completely meaningless unless I'm missing something...probably
No... you gain no more 'Favours' as such...
Nationality/Citizenship is irrelevant... with proof of a 'physical UK address' anyone can get an SSR...
Its a smallish plastic covered card that does not prove ownership or anything else... but keeps the 'Furriners' happy and raises some extra pennies for 'de gubbermint' to waste on silly useless things..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:02   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
i really wouldn't over think it if you look at the ssr in the heading it says "this is not proof of ownership",so legaly the document really has no legal value,other than a cheap and easy way for uk vessels that wanted to go foreign, and have a piece of paper that looked semi official,started by the RYA in the 70's for pleasure vessels that were un documented on part 1 british reg.

swansea took it over in the 80's as part of the vehicle licencing dept,and has proved to be a nice money spinner for the government,apart from that it really has very little legal standing,other than a nice bit of paper with the boats name on it,a number and a picture of the queen
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:30   #7
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post

You do, however, need to be a resident (live in the UK for 180 days of each year). They are clamping down on the residency requirement and may ask for proof of this, particularly if a non British credit card is used for payment.
My guess is that will catch out a lot of folks come renewal time......
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:38   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
My guess is that will catch out a lot of folks come renewal time......
the whole idea of having a ssr was so that you could get the "eff out of blighty" on your yot,and become resident in the med or caribean, a bit counter intuitive!

though originally i think it was more aimed at members of the RYA,that wanted to do hops across the channel when this became popular in the 60's and 70's
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:44   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I am American and had used the SSR in the past. I had a friends UK address, a US credit card and forget the country I claimed cizitenship in. I think maybe Barbados?

Anyway, back to the OP; New Zealand has Cat 1 for a reason. they are a small country spending a lot of resources on rescuing idiots. They are unable to regulate foreign flagged vessels departure so there is a lot of gaming if the system. I suppose if you are a good Kiwi and pay your taxes, it's your money for the rescues anyway and not much of an argument can be made to get you into Cat 1.