Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-07-2016, 17:30   #31

Boat: 1971 cal 27
Re: UFC Mooring Ball FIGHT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune's Gear View Post
If I'm picking up a mooring single handed, esp if a bit rough, I use a line from the bow, then back up to the mooring, on my boat easy to get to the stern from the helm, and can then grab the mooring with a boat hook, and tie on. Once done, let the boat turn by herself, and, if required, use the capstan winch to pull the boat up to the mooring. The advantage is both you can see the mooring all the time, and it's closer to get to than off the bow.
Depending on boat design, this may or may not work for you.....

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
that, or after snagging it from the stern, you could simply walk it around...that works great on boats around or under 30ish feet

Old 15-07-2016, 21:58   #32

@ #18

Yep - that's how all Canadians so it. 'Cept in TrentePieds, cos of the way she ranges about when moored by the head, I let 'er go stern to the can unless the weather is really fierce.

TrentePieds is just a toy boat, so by letting the buoy/can slide along my stbd side and, when it comes opposite me, giving it a little "hip check" with the helm, I can easily reach down and grab whatever needs to be grabbed.

It's all in the timing :-)

There is no reason for keeping the can to stbd - it's just my habit.

TrentePieds

Old 24-07-2016, 20:37   #33

Boat: Sold Hereschoff Bounty 68

My worst mooring story, nearly a fight, after a murder!

Bill, a well known salt in the area, and I and my then 4 year old daughter picked up one of the resort moorings at Furneax lodge in the Marlborough Sounds. The wee one was loving boating and learning, including the nautical terms, and of course, struggling a bit with the pronunciation.

I'd bait her hooks and hand her the fishing rods, so she could "catch the fish". And when approaching a mooring buoy, she'd help me by handing up the boathook, and I'd "catch the buoy". We help each other.

After a few hours in the bar, teaching her to play pool with an on the should cue technique suitable to a 3 foot high person, and meeting the regulars, one older fellow asks my daughter "So what do you like about sailing little one?".

The four year old says "Well, I like to try to catch fish, but Bill and my Dad, they like to catch boys".

Silence. The dukebox seemed to stop. Frozen looks.

Normally such a comment might be cute, but it had been front page news for some time that a young couple had been kidnapped from the very place a few months earlier, probably killed, and still, 18 years later, have never been seen again. The perpetrator had not been caught at that stage.

We felt we'd better leave immediately, and by a far more direct route than Mark's snail drawing.

All true, no exaggeration.
Old 24-07-2016, 21:12   #34
DRS

Boat: Lagoon 380

Mark. If anyone asks its not your track. "you were trying to play etech-a sketch on the plotter" This sailing gig can be exhilarating one minute and humbling the next. We've all been there done that at one thing or another
Old 25-07-2016, 04:58   #35
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty Kiwi View Post
My worst mooring story, nearly a fight, after a murder!

Bill, a well known salt in the area, and I and my then 4 year old daughter picked up one of the resort moorings at Furneax lodge in the Marlborough Sounds. The wee one was loving boating and learning, including the nautical terms, and of course, struggling a bit with the pronunciation.

I'd bait her hooks and hand her the fishing rods, so she could "catch the fish". And when approaching a mooring buoy, she'd help me by handing up the boathook, and I'd "catch the buoy". We help each other.

After a few hours in the bar, teaching her to play pool with an on the should cue technique suitable to a 3 foot high person, and meeting the regulars, one older fellow asks my daughter "So what do you like about sailing little one?".

The four year old says "Well, I like to try to catch fish, but Bill and my Dad, they like to catch boys".

Silence. The dukebox seemed to stop. Frozen looks.

Normally such a comment might be cute, but it had been front page news for some time that a young couple had been kidnapped from the very place a few months earlier, probably killed, and still, 18 years later, have never been seen again. The perpetrator had not been caught at that stage.

We felt we'd better leave immediately, and by a far more direct route than Mark's snail drawing.

All true, no exaggeration.

Fantastic story!
Old 25-07-2016, 11:53   #36

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
As a newbie, I am much relieved.
Ditto

Tags
mooring

Display Modes Rate This Thread