Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2015, 20:41   #16

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: U.S. West Coast sailors , Have you seen?

One of the yachties here has radiation damage, but that's due to medical treatments for his metatisized prostate cancer. Be good boys and get your PSA checked annually.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 07:57   #17

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
One of the yachties here has radiation damage, but that's due to medical treatments for his metatisized prostate cancer. Be good boys and get your PSA checked annually.
Without a doubt radiation is bad; many things out there are far worse....depending on the dosage.

Here's an excerpt of the findings from a staff report by the CA Coastal Commission on the issue:

The levels of Fukushima-derived radionuclides detected in air, drinking water, food, seawater and marine life in California are extremely low relative to the pre-existing background from naturally-occurring radionuclides and the persistent residues of 20th century nuclear weapons testing. The additional dose of radiation attributable to the Fukushima disaster is commensurately small, and the available evidence supports the idea that it will pose little additional risk to humans or marine life. However, it should be noted that the long-term effects of low-level radiation in the environment remain incompletely understood, and that this understanding would benefit from increased governmental support for the monitoring of radioactivity in seawater and marine biota and the study of health outcomes linked to radiation exposure.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 08:48   #18

Boat: lancer 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peters Wet View Post
I came across this page and am curious if you western sailors have come upon radiation deformed sea creatures or an increase in dead ones?

CA seals experiencing mass deaths from leukemia-like disease; Fukushima radiation suspected as cause
just late saturday nights during dock parties. mostly they recover by monday.
jrbogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 09:42   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

There have been floating docks in Oregon and a ship in BC/Alaska. Dead fish/deformed creatures? Only on CF.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 20:45   #20

Boat: Rhodes Pearson 41 sloop

There is a "new" Harley Davidson in the HD Motorcycle Museum in Milwaukee that is crusted with marine growth. It was shipped to Japan, and arrived at Fukishima just prior to the tsunami, and drifted across the Pacific in it's crate and washed up on the West Coast!!
jessehunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 10:21   #21

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Link:

Tsunami motorcycle to be preserved at Harley-Davidson Museum in Milwaukee ? Japan Today: Japan News and Discussion

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 10:32   #22
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I wonder if they'd honor the warranty
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 10:32   #23

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

"We're OK!'

Old 18-11-2015, 05:07   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Hey now. I've always had a thing for Kurt Russell. Be nice!
I thought ALL females had a thing for Kurt!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 00:54   #25

Boat: Spindrift 46 Center Cockpit

Do not believe these nutty ideas! It is clear that Dominic acid is the problem.The picture shows a sea lion, not a seal. In addition, the picture shows a penguin. There are no Penguins in Southern California, except at Sea World and the Long Beach Aquarium of the Pacific. The picture was not taken there either. These Magellanic penguins are found in the southern portion of South America, not here in California.
frantzjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 03:03   #26

Boat: Sadler 25

I know this is Wikipedia, but I remember seeing video of the Navy shooting the barrels to make them sink:

From 1946 to 1970, the sea around the Farallones was used as a nuclear dumping site for radioactive waste under the authority of the Atomic Energy Commission at a site known as the Farallon Island Nuclear Waste Dump. Most of the dumping took place before 1960, and all dumping of radioactive wastes by the United States was terminated in 1970. By then, 47,500 55 gallon steel drum containers had been dumped in the vicinity, with a total estimated radioactive activity of 14,500 Ci. The materials dumped were mostly laboratory materials containing traces of contamination. Much of the radioactivity had decayed by 1980.[32]
44,000 containers were dumped at 37°37′N 123°17′W, and another 3,500 at 37°38′N 123°08′W.[32]
The location shown on the graphic does not match the latitude and longitude given for the two dumping sites. The co-ordinates are actually further west by about 9 nm which places both sites off the continental shelf.[citation needed] This significantly changes the potential effects on the fishery and makes any mapping and recovery effort much harder.
The exact location of the containers and the potential hazard the containers pose to the environment are unknown.[33] Attempts to remove the barrels would likely produce greater risk than leaving them undisturbed.[32]
Waste containers were shipped to Hunters Point Shipyard, then loaded onto barges for transportation to the Farallones. Containers were weighted with concrete. Those that floated were sometimes shot with rifles to sink them.[34]
In January 1951, the highly radioactive hull of USS Independence, which was used in Operation Crossroads and then loaded with barrels of radioactive waste, was scuttled in the area.[35]

I don't have a good enough connection, but I'm sure you could find the video if you like. I'm sure Fukushima had little effect on the background radiation. I would think if the seals are dying of radiation I would suspect they are dying from the dumping of nuclear waste for over 20 years.

triciarob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, west coast