Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 16-01-2012, 12:45   #1

Boat: Bristol 27.7
Two Anchors in Abaco ?

We're chartering a 36' monohull at the end of February out of Marsh Harbour, Abaco, and planning on some leisurely cruising to a few rleatively close spots and are likely to want to anchor out a night or two, if the weather cooperates.(Tahiti Beach comes to mind.) Do those of you who have done a lot of sailing in this part of the world recommend putting out a second anchor overnight or when we are leaving the boat for a while? When does that make sense? And if you think it's a good idea, how would you go about setting it? I've done a fair amount of anchoring in my home New England waters, but that's always been a one-anchor deal, so I am not clear about how to go about dropping and setting a second anchor, especially when sailing short-handed with just two of us available do to the work. Would love to get some expert advice....so thanks in advance for any tips you can pass along.

Old 16-01-2012, 12:55   #2

Re: Two anchors in Abaco?

we sailed the Abacos last yr and never felt the need for two anchors

stacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 12:59   #3

Good to know. Thanks!
Old 16-01-2012, 13:09   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

When I chartered there in '92, we were asked to put out two anchors each night at 45 to 60 degree off the bow; Bahamian moor was needed. I usually just walked the second one out and jumped on it, then set it when back onboard.

We had one big blow, but did not drag.
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 13:16   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"

Very few use two anchors in the Bahamas anymore. practice was popular back in the eighties, early nineties but only newbies do it now. Look around the anchorage if you're the only one with two anchors it'll screw up the swinging.
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 13:34   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Very few use two anchors in the Bahamas anymore. practice was popular back in the eighties, early nineties but only newbies do it now. Look around the anchorage if you're the only one with two anchors it'll screw up the swinging.
Thanks

Does anyone actually use a Bahamian moor in the Bahamas? Even when I was there the narrow channels in the Cays all had mooring balls.
Old 16-01-2012, 14:01   #7

The only place I have used 2 anchors is at West End. The tide in the anchorage is very strong and a Bahamian moor is suggested. Otherwize, 2 achors can create real problems. Bob
Old 16-01-2012, 14:27   #8

Boat: Manta 42
Re: Two Anchors in Abaco ?

I have spent seven winter seasons in the Bahamas, most of that time at anchor and I kringe when some one comes into an anchorage and drops a second anchor unless a big blow is forecasted. You do not swing with the other boats in the anchorage and things do go bump in the night. I pick-up my anchor and move away rather than say anything. No one wants anchoring lessons after a day of sailing.

The origin of the Bahamian moor is from the days when folks used Danforth anchors and the shifting currents of the Bahamas would unset them. Two anchors actually work against each other and result in a weaker hold. Refer to Black's book on anchoring for the exact reasons that this will occur.

I know that a Fortress anchor is alot like a Danforth and I always have one on board but only for a storm anchor that I would have to be watched as currents change, I set an alarm to wake me as the tide shifts.

You will love the Bahamas, come back many times, and someday sell the farm spending your winters there and never look back. The islands go on forever, the anchoring is mostly in beautiful sand, the diving wonderful and the people are great. Enjoy rich
Old 16-01-2012, 14:30   #9
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

You don't need a second anchor. You just need a dingy that's faster than your boat drifts.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 14:34   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamarich View Post

The origin of the Bahamian moor is from the days when folks used Danforth anchors and the shifting currents of the Bahamas would unset them. Two anchors actually work against each other and result in a weaker hold. Refer to Black's book on anchoring for the exact reasons that this will occur.
Can you send that book title please? I have always had a suspicion that that was the case, but no evidence or explanation.

Jack
Old 16-01-2012, 16:32   #11

Thanks, all. I have never been able to figure out the geometry of two anchors and have always pictured the rig creating all sorts of problems,(as well as being a pain to set), but given that the recommendation seems to show up in cruising guides, I wanted to check. I feel a bit less like a sailing dunce, thanks to all of your advice, and I'm won't be dropping a second anchor anytime soon.
Old 16-01-2012, 16:49   #12

Boat: Manta 42

I do not have the book on board this trip, keeping weight down on a catamaran, but there is a good explaination of this issue by Peter Smith posted on line tittled "Two To Tandem; Maximizing Holding Power By.... " PeterSmith.net.nz He first discusses two anchors in a row followed by a look at the Bahamian Moor; we are only taking about the Bahamian Moor I know.

The crux of the issue is that anchor 'A' prevent anchor 'B' from resetting and the two produce off angle forces that do not really help each other in any way. In addition to making the whole thing pretty complicated should you need to reset the whole mess if it does break free.

Modern anchors reset pretty good on their own, just use the right size for the right conditions. The reality is the Abacos have some good spots to anchor in with currents that are not as extrem as places like Pipe Creek in the Exumas.

I'll remember to look for the book on anchoring that I referenced when I make a visit north to our stuff in storage and get the name, copy date and author to you. This article by Peter Smith does a pretty good job of explaining it though. Enjoy rich
Old 16-01-2012, 16:59   #13

Wait till the two rodes wrap on you from turning in the wind and tide and you start to drag. You won't do that again.
Old 16-01-2012, 17:01   #14

You will be fine with one hook buried in sand unless you get up into some creek or tidal cut. That sort of bottom is more common in the Berries than the Abacos. Get on over to the Berries if your lease allows and practice your Bahama moor!
Old 16-01-2012, 17:09   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Rich

Thanks for the information.

The only time I have dragged was with two anchors off the bow when anchored in loose sand in Espiritu Santos in the Sea of Cortez. The winds were up to 45 knots. As I watched the strain taken up alternately on each rode I wondered if this was greater more problems than a continuous strain on one anchor.

The tandem anchoring idea has been in my thoughts for a while.

Jack

Tags
abaco, anchor

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: