Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 18-09-2013, 04:30   #541

Boat: 1974 Bristol 27
Re: Twenty Knots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuteman View Post
What's getting old are canceled races.

You do not need 58mph / 40+kts, or even 20+ kts upwind to have close exciting races. But for those into microwave drag racing I'm sure NHRA replays can hold you until the SF wind drops.

Pls clear AC course there's an 8 yr old coming thru on his dinghy........
We have what we have for this years event, next time it could be big seas, big wind, and boats built for that. This from 1987. 4' - 5' seas, winds building to 25 knots plus on a 24 mile race course:

Old 18-09-2013, 13:39   #542
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Batten down the hatches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuteman View Post
Attention ALL AC teams and AC Race Mgt:
Now that the AC has canceled ALL its racing today due to the usual SF Bay winds, Please clear the Bay ASAP of ALL AC race vessels, AC "racing"boats and All other AC race assets.

The local RECREATIONAL sailors would like to resume enjoying the wonderful sailing conditions throughout the Bay including the abandoned race course.

"We sometimes see kids in Optis or small dinghies out in conditions that keep the best sailors in the world at the dock instead of racing" Latitude 38 9/13 AC article"

What if you saved up a few days of vacation + your hard earned $, flew long distance, paid big city expense $$ and excitedly looked forward to cheering your team on or just enjoying the competition?

Only 50% of scheduled races run in last 3 scheduled days
This attitude is what is really wrong with the whole USA holding the cup thing - the sport is simply not recognized, understood or enjoyed by the majority there.

I seriously doubt these types of people exist any large numbers in NZ and Australia. Maybe it's best that the cup goes there.

Chuteman, you must realize how badly uninformed you make yourself look with these types of statements given all the contrary historical evidence and facts presented in this thread on this subject.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2013, 15:30   #543
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

8 - 1 NZ
Old 18-09-2013, 15:41   #544

Boat: Club Sailor; various

Question: If they were racing monohulls or AC 45s would they still be postponing all these races?
Old 18-09-2013, 15:41   #545

Boat: csy 44 tall rig.

Postponed, Postponed Postponed..... Windlimit at 19,9.67 blowing at 20.00.01 Lol!!!! one more day dam!!! just one more day!!!! this cup is in Auckland allready....
Old 18-09-2013, 15:51   #546
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFrog75 View Post
Question: If they were racing monohulls or AC 45s would they still be postponing all these races?
Depends. In several past mono AC races, they did postpone for winds of equal strength. They postponed for lesser winds in several previous races.

In the recent AC45 series, they did not postpone for winds up to 30kts.

Again, the wind limit on these boats is artificial, and was applied because of a death. The boats themselves are designed for 33kt true wind speeds and can safely be raced - as evidenced by them regularly practicing in higher winds.

Does anyone read any of the articles linked here discussing wind limits?

Does anyone recognize that it has been decades since an AC boat was designed for higher wind limits than the present AC72's? And those boats could only hit 12kts or so upwind.

Catamarans and Ellison - those are the only facts that matter...

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 18-09-2013, 15:55   #547
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
This attitude is what is really wrong with the whole USA holding the cup thing - the sport is simply not recognized, understood or enjoyed by the majority there.

I seriously doubt these types of people exist any large numbers in NZ and Australia. Maybe it's best that the cup goes there.

Chuteman, you must realize how badly uninformed you make yourself look with these types of statements given all the contrary historical evidence and facts presented in this thread on this subject.

Mark
Over here in Aus, unless you have pay tv you cannot watch it. The commercial channels are not interested, which is a reflection on how they think Aussies feel about the AC. Nobody outside of sailing circles talks about it, only in a disparaging way. Even within the circles, it's only the racers who are interested.

Coops.
Old 18-09-2013, 15:58   #548
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
Postponed, Postponed Postponed..... Windlimit at 19,9.67 blowing at 20.00.01 Lol!!!! one more day dam!!! just one more day!!!! this cup is in Auckland allready....
Almost, but it ain't over till its over, as one misfortune and this whole race could migrate to the "I Almost Died" thread!

GO NZ!!!!

Old 18-09-2013, 15:59   #549
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well, in the US, you have one commercial channel covering it some of the time - not all the races, and the ones they do cover they spend 5 minutes of each 20min race out on commercials. Usually at the most crucial time.

Maybe the future is internet broadcasting, because the Youtube coverage has been superb.

Mark

Old 18-09-2013, 16:03   #550
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'm cheering for Oracle to win 7 more, then I don't care who wins the next one.

These races are so exciting that I want them to continue as long as possible.

Finally, a close-raced, well-sailed AC series with competitively matched boats hinged solely on the skill and cleverness of their crews. It has been a long time...

Mark

Old 18-09-2013, 16:31   #551

Boat: Roberts Offshore 44-Blue Note

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I'm cheering for Oracle to win 7 more, then I don't care who wins the next one.

These races are so exciting that I want them to continue as long as possible.

Finally, a close-raced, well-sailed AC series with competitively matched boats hinged solely on the skill and cleverness of their crews. It has been a long time...

Mark
Agree completely! Amazing to watch Oracle learn to sail their boat right before our eyes with uninterrupted coverage! I want more. Just I wish I could get it live here.
alaska pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2013, 16:50   #552

Boat: 45ft Ketch

There's been a long and fascinating race going on inside the sheds as hinted on in the attached article.
A small change in weather forecast sets off another game of chess for the brains trust.
What we see on the race course is the athletes trying to maximise the gains made in the shed.
Of course this is too much to grasp for those only interested in whether they sail or not.

America's Cup: All's fair in love and yacht racing as teams go to war - Sport - NZ Herald News
Old 18-09-2013, 16:58   #553
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
Over here in Aus, unless you have pay tv you cannot watch it. The commercial channels are not interested, which is a reflection on how they think Aussies feel about the AC. Nobody outside of sailing circles talks about it, only in a disparaging way. Even within the circles, it's only the racers who are interested.

Coops.
That hasn't been my experience. I have several friends who aren't in sailing circles, don't even own boats, but who are thoroughly enjoying watching the racing. The speed, and the closeness of the boats makes it very entertaining.

Some have also commented that they've learned to respect sailors and sailing far more, from seeing how physical these boats are.
Old 18-09-2013, 17:06   #554

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

The races are exciting. Nevertheless, it's difficult to tell from the sail trim whether the boats are going upwind or downwind, and I miss the sail changes. Where are the spinnakers! Please, please, let's return to monohulls.
Old 18-09-2013, 17:10   #555

Boat: csy 44 tall rig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
The races are exciting. Nevertheless, it's difficult to tell from the sail trim whether the boats are going upwind or downwind, and I miss the sail changes. Where are the spinnakers! Please, please, let's return to monohulls.

Could be Catas with foils and normal sails , no wing!

Tags
knot, paracelle

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: