Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2013, 08:46   #451
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Re: Twenty Knots

Im sure Larry has his divers out there setting up things for Saturday's race - magnets and mines.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2013, 07:19   #452

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

When this is all over, the true heroes of the event will be Stan Honey and his crew.

For those who doubt that any of the technology developed for this event will find usefulness elsewhere: The Augmented Reality America!

Truly amazing work and technology.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2013, 19:50   #453
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

What I saw today: when they canceled Race 9 IN THE MIDDLE OF THE RACE because the wind had exceeded 22.6 knots, hundreds of sailboats (literally!) hoisted sail and headed away, a clear indication of how silly it was that 72-footers couldn't safely handle the conditions.

Half the boats sailing away didn't bother to reef.
Old 15-09-2013, 03:54   #454

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
What I saw today: when they canceled Race 9 IN THE MIDDLE OF THE RACE because the wind had exceeded 22.6 knots, hundreds of sailboats (literally!) hoisted sail and headed away, a clear indication of how silly it was that 72-footers couldn't safely handle the conditions.

I didn't see that the 72' catamarans were having any trouble. They were doing just fine when the Race Committee stopped the race due to the agreed upon rules.

It was like when your Mom called you in as a child for a jacket when you were out playing because she's was cool standing there in the kitchen. You were probably sweating some out there also. Same thing when the RC called the race for the boats and sailors. They were just doing what they do without any problems.

I do believe though that the wind limit probably needs to be raised a bit since you can do about the same amount of damage at 53 mph as you can at 58, and the boats have had no trouble handling any wind so far..

They did say that Oracle had hit 58 miles per hour. I image it was safe enough for the mono's to go ahead and sail away at what...........8-12 knots.

And speaking of reefing, you can't reef on these 72's.

I can also say the 72' catamarans could have been racing in 15 knots or 25 knots and their motion would have been about the same, whereas with the monohulls sailing/bobbing away, the motion was probably much more pronounced.

That's how inefficient our monhulls sail as compared to the 72's.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 04:55   #455

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:

That's like saying they stopped the Indianapolis 500 due to heavy rain, but I went out and drove my old Ford Pickup around the track at 20 miles per hour without any problems what so ever. (and) I didn't even need a helmet!

Let's face it, the 72's are blanking awesome................
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 06:31   #456
cruiser

Quote:

The real point is the race had already started, AND THE KIWIS WERE 7 SECONDS AHEAD(!!!), and they cancelled Race 9 IN THE MIDDLE OF THE RACE!!!

One sentence: Larry'$$$ Payola!

*ching *ching

Whats that sound?

The racing committee going to the bank.
Old 15-09-2013, 06:44   #457

Boat: a sailing boat

Fantastic, huh?

I thought that WAS OVER. So glad Kiwis came back to vertical.

So now we are watching a SHOW. Now there is finally ACTION, there is DRAMA.

Immediately after Kiwi's roll tack y outube channel viewers jumped twofold. Made watching in HD impossible BUT it was damn nice to know we are not all alone there ;-))))

More love t'nite.

Arrgggghhh. Cheerrrrrrssss!
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 06:52   #458

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Crikeys, guys, why blame the race committee? At this time, the wind speed rule has been firmly established, the limits and responses written down and publicized, and the data from the wind instruments monitored... what else could they have done?

Should the limit be raised? PErhaps... I'm surely not qualified to judge that. But to decide to not exercise a specific rule that has been agreed upon by the competitors (willingly or not) in the middle of a race is simply not on. What are you thinking?

Cheers,

Jim
Old 15-09-2013, 06:59   #459
cruiser

Simple, if they start the race, they should complete the race. No wind rule.

The winds were high enough for them to determine a GO/NO GO before the start.

How do they reboot this thing? Do they give the kiwis a 7 second head start?
Old 15-09-2013, 07:05   #460

Boat: OPB
And, if at this juncture the wind limit was raised, would you not cry louder that it was Larry trying to change the rules to his advantage? What if they raised the wind limit and Oracle won the next 10 races? Let this fiasco die.

If this is not the end of foiling cats in AC racing, I hope they will have the brains to allow adjustable rudder tabs next time.
I.Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 07:09   #461

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Well, Salty Monkey, the conditions were all agreed upon and signed off upon.

But the cats did look as if they could handle it, and I agree it was a shame to call it off at that point, after all the delays and all. But what're ya going to do? You really can't change horses midstream, less'n you're a stunt rider! And while these crews are surely great athletes, I think what the team has signed on for they have to cope with.

My 2 cents.

Ann
Old 15-09-2013, 07:42   #462

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Lame,!!!! this AC 72 has the days counted. I admit they are spectacular in light winds and flat seas, but this things are dangerous, even for the oponent be close in a capsize or pitchpole scenario.. I just saw Spithill face when tnz start to fly over their side, scaredddd!!!

Lets see if we see finally this cup end well with no injuries and fair for both teams,
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 07:47   #463

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:

You mean the sailing tubs? The non-foiling antique things making a meagre 4 kts? ;-)

Brother! Racing IS NOT about 'safely handling the conditions'!

;-)
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 07:47   #464

The rules are the rules. All teams were involved in negotiating them and all agreed upon them. The rules not only gave starting wind limits, they specify the limits and times during the race, as well as when the race can/cannot be called.

The race committee has no say in the matter.

This has nothing to do with how much true wind your personal boat can sail in. That is about the most silly argument that keeps getting made here. Where does one go with that argument? Will battened down Westsails be the only boats standing when that argument is taken fully?

The AC72's become overpowered in apparent winds greater than 60kts.

At what apparent winds do your boats become overpowered?

When deciding to reef, or to even leave your dock, do you consult the true wind or the expected apparent wind?

Would you be out toodling around in the Bay in 60kts apparent?

Sheesh.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 15-09-2013, 07:57   #465

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
Lame,!!!! this AC 72 has the days counted. I admit they are spectacular in light winds and flat seas, but this things are dangerous, even for the oponent be close in a capsize or pitchpole scenario.. I just saw Spithill face when tnz start to fly over their side, scaredddd!!!

Lets see if we see finally this cup end well with no injuries and fair for both teams,
Light winds and flat seas are specifically what these boats are designed for. They are purpose-built, not Volvo ocean racers.

Do you really want to see boats designed for straight-line southern ocean racing doing in-shore, short course match racing? That hasn't been done in any AC series for decades.

Do you really want all danger potential removed from professional sports? Remember, 5 people have died in AC racing in the past. It would be a boring race indeed if "regular" boats were racing.

Spithill was crapping his pants because he had just started to go underneath TNZ to luff them when they started to go over. His skill at crash tacking shouldn't be ignored. BOTH skippers did a remarkable job of getting their boats and crews back to safety.

And did you see the umpire boat during this? They were just coming in close to Oracle's windward hull to get a position to judge the luff when it all happened. They also did an emergency maneuver to get clear. Bet there were brown pants on that boat too.

Heck, I had brown pants just watching it all.

Mark

Tags
knot, paracelle