Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2011, 20:35   #16

Boat: 29'
Re: Turning into the Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabear View Post
OK so you are downwind sailing offshore and happen to get caught in a system. The wind increases to say 45 kn and you want to hove to now,waves getting fairly enormous. How hard is it to turn the boat toward the wind to do this? Can the few who have been in this situation give us an idea of just how hard it is to do this?
Seabear
as Unicorn Dreams asked,what sails are up?Without knowing that,and the boat etc etc,Who says you have to turn into the wind to take em down?
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 20:39   #17

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Re: Turning into the Wind

So, with that sail configuration. If you wanted to heave-to, I would fire up the engine and have it ready ( a control thing ) Next you'd have to time your moves. I'd probably make my turn to windward just as the peak of one wave is passing under and head up to angle down the backside..( not bow into the trough.) I might ease the traveller, if it's not already out.
You need to get your lazy jib sheet around a winch and back the jib..easing out the working sheet as you do that. This is where the engine can assist, as you don't want to stall and lose steerage while you get yourself under control. With the traveler eased the jib backed and the helm put to windward..( with a good bungy) it's hopeful that you'd be able to let the boat tend itself. If this doesn't work, you might need to try close reaching....You don't want to Lock the Rudder in those seas..for fear of damage, so I'd want a little give with the bungy.
This is really Storm jib and Tri-sail territory.

Turning into the wind, increases the apparent wind..running with it reduces it. Turning up you're heading into the weather..and thus may spend less time in it...
Running...reduces the apparent WS, ..you could slow yourself down using various tactics....

I'd want to know how big a system, how long the duration..what's the rotation, (where are the winds the lowest) Where's the hard stuff..( land)

Frankly, I have no desire to deal with 30 foot waves and 45 knot winds..so I work hard not to get caught out there in that stuff. I've close reached in 20 hand steering, and it's extremely exhausting..1 hour shifts with 2 hours off, was the best we could do.

And yes, sometimes a wave breaks over the bow and smacks you in the face before touching anything else. I napped on the cockpit floor, in the fetal position..it was too hot and stuffy below..and not worth the time and energy of getting out of foulies...I found myself underwater once, when a wave boarded us...haha....had to shake it off like a dog, and go back to napping.