Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2013, 21:46   #1

Boat: no i do not need finacing
Turning a Sailboat Into a Motor Cruiser

hey y'all, i guess i should list my basic intention first eh? i intend to buy a used or salvaged sailboat on the hard for as cheap as i can get it. to use as a cruiser/live-aboard, i,m looking a a length of 40 plus feet.

the pluses on my side
my abilities= a better than average mech, i know how to do quality electrical wiring, i already recognize the cost a budget that would include the cost of up-keeping a sailboat in tip/top sailing condition, i have already made sure this is a life style that myself and wife would be more than comfortable with, im a fair hand with fiberglass repair, and i already know that yes i can learn to be a better sailor, i just don't want to be one. and yes my monthly budget is not very large. and NO this is not a rushed idea, ive been waiting 56 years to do this

so i need help and ideas of where to find such a boat on the hard. that would be salvageable for this project, i also welcome any tips or hints

( now i feel as if i have stepped into a pile of dog crap ) i really hope i managed to find the right forum for this
Oogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 22:54   #2

Boat: Mac 26X
Re: turning a sailboat into a motor cruiser

Welcome to CF...and yeah, you're about to get trashed Not by me mind you...but someone will
Old 22-01-2013, 22:57   #3

Here is an example. This guy had a great time

Duckworks - Strawlering
Old 22-01-2013, 22:59   #4

Boat: Traditional 30

Blasphemer !!!!!!! You speak Sacrilege!!!!! murderer!!!! and all those other horrible terms sailors are busting to call you.

However, Keep and eye on yachtworld.com. Also talk to insurance Cos and ask them where and how they sell the right offs.

You may even get a few dollars for the old sailing gear if you are just going to keep the hull and motor.

There is a pile of performance things I could go into. But Meh, It wont matter for what you are thinking about.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 23:00   #5

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGatoGordo View Post
Welcome to CF...and yeah, you're about to get trashed Not by me mind you...but someone will
Ooooh..I started to. Then thought better of it.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 23:11   #6

All marinas have a couple. Most of them are owed money for storage. Pick one out you like and make an offer.
haw1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 23:13   #7

If they don't have them in FL, we sure do here in TX...
Old 22-01-2013, 23:28   #8
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

Ever thought about a trawler? Cheap project trawlers exist as well and you could skip the sail junk right off the bat. One point though and I have some first hand experience. The sail conversion with no mast is going to get odd looks and little respect, sail hulls with no mast are the Rodney Dangerfield of the sea, they get no respect. At least with a trawler, sail cruisers will not snub you or assume your a broke weirdo transient. If you want a sail hull why not sail just a bit, you may grow to like it.
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 23:32   #9

Another article
Duckworks - Making a Terminal Trawler
Old 22-01-2013, 23:35   #10

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Aren't there stability issues with a mono sail vessel (roll periods, etc) without a mast? Consider a small motor trawler.

Cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 23:40   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Aren't there stability issues with a mono sail vessel (roll periods, etc) without a mast? Consider a small motor trawler.

Cheers
The above articles explain the issues related to the keel and mast relationship and cutting both down. Not that I've done it, but it can and has been done. I like sailing too much to ruin a boat.
Old 22-01-2013, 23:51   #12

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

There are a couple around here in Seattle. One of which is a 50'er. I'd suggest you find one that has been de-masted (lost their mast) and go from there. It would be less expensive due to the cost of replacing the rigging (in the 10's of thousands).

As well find one that has EZ access to the motor so it can be easily pulled for rebuild &/or clean up. Also I'd go with a fin keeled boat and whack half of it off. Your going to need some of it to stabilize the rounded bilge. A twin keeler would even be better but large ones are rare here in the USA.

Sailboats are basically narrow trawlers and just doesn't have the capacity as one. Some sailers spend more time motoring then sailing as it is. The down fall to a modified sailboat is they aren't as stable in the rough. Even some trawlers have a steading sail.

If you look at the old time trawlers/fishers (pre 1950) they look like a sailboat hull.

Just stay away from the old woodies that have been ignored, unless you have experience with them. Choose wisely, theses are just suggestions!
Old 23-01-2013, 00:15   #13

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

One more thing. You might look at some of the auctioned boat from the Sandy storm.
Old 23-01-2013, 02:01   #14

Boat: 28 ft Intrepid, hull #13

[QUOTE=Oogie;1136927]hey y'all, i guess i should list my basic intention first eh? i intend to buy a used or salvaged sailboat on the hard for as cheap as i can get it. to use as a cruiser/live-aboard, i,m looking a a length of 40 plus feet.

It's a good thing dat' ya' ain't aboard a pirate ship for otherwise you'd surely be walking the plank by now... I'm jest' sayin'.
S/V Blondie-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 05:37   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGatoGordo View Post
Here is an example. This guy had a great time
Duckworks - Strawlering
The article claims that a sailboat gets better fuel economy than a trawler. I call BS on that. Yes, it will burn less per hour, but it will also move a whole lot slower. Your miles per gallon are almost certainly going to be worse, not better.

And then you will have A LOT less living space in a 40' sailboat than you will in a 40' trawler. Space that you give up in exchange for what advantage? None. Not to mention the draft issues.

If you want to sail, get a boat that was made to sail. If you want to motor, get a boat that was made to motor. It's your money, your life, and you can do what you want. But personally, I find the idea of buying a boat that was designed for sailing, and then deluding yourself into thinking that it will make a better motor boat than a boat that was designed for motoring, to be pretty ridiculous.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruiser, motor, sailboat