Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2011, 06:37   #16

Boat: Catalina 42 Pacific cruise to Australia
Re: Tricolor Mast Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
I dont know, in a lumpy sea, at some time you should see masthead and sidelights at some stage.
First pic you see the masthead light, seconds later you have the side light

Having both sets on at the same time, could lead to confusion, mistaken for a fishing boat perhaps
Each to is own

I totally agree if it were the case that BOTH sets of nav lights were lit.
My point, particularly in the senario of your photos.... mast head nav lights would be visible ALL the time, not now and again.......no deck level nav lights at sea on yachts please. Ships with lights at bridge height OK, but not yachts with lights 1 metre above water level in 10 foot seas, no way!
Jamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:40   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
At first glance it seems odd that they would call it a "masthead light" -- but I guess it's from powerboats, where the steaming light would be there.
Harking back to when I first went to sea, steaming lights was the collective term for Mastheads, side and stern lights.
So when describing a vessel restricted in manoeuvrability it was said to exhibit and all round red/white/red in addition to her steaming lights
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:03   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
Harking back to when I first went to sea, steaming lights was the collective term for Mastheads, side and stern lights.
So when describing a vessel restricted in manoeuvrability it was said to exhibit and all round red/white/red in addition to her steaming lights
An interesting, educational discussion.

"Steaming light", as it turns out, is a term not found in the Colregs. According to this: Rule 21 "Other navigation light terms, such as 'steaming light' or 'bow light' are from popular slang or from old rules no longer in effect."

I think most sailors use the term "steaming light" to refer to what, thanks to you, I now know is correctly if misleadingly called the "masthead light". And not to any other navigation lights. But a bit of Googling shows that, just as you wrote, commercial mariners sometimes refer to all their navigation lights as "steaming lights".

Interesting. Learn something new every day!
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:13   #19

Boat: 1974 islander 44
Now if I could just get this kind of feedback on mauri sails........chinese sail loft . Prices look pretty hard to beat . Anybody know anything about these ?
Svsilvergirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast