Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2009, 17:46   #1

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Travels in the PNW

Has anyone been in the Port Angeles Area or along the Northern Olympics?

I seem to always bypass that area. Is there much to see/do along that stretch?

I've been in the Sequim Bay but not much going on there. It'd be great hold up but what an entrance!
Old 19-12-2009, 18:42   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Has anyone been in the Port Angeles Area or along the Northern Olympics?

I seem to always bypass that area. Is there much to see/do along that stretch?

I've been in the Sequim Bay but not much going on there. It'd be great hold up but what an entrance!
Neah Bay is a great place to hold up while waiting for more favourable weather to enter the straits. If you've never investigated the Olympic National Park up the Elwah river entrance, between the lake and Hurricane Ridge, then it's a must do for anyone residing in the PNW. We're avid hot springers, so we never pass through the area without making a stop at the Olympic Hot Springs. It's an easy flat 3 mile hike in an incredibly gorgeous and relaxing. Only a 10 minute drive past Port Angeles to the Elwah entrance into the park, then another 15 minute scenic drive along the river, and past the lake, to the trailhead. There is tons to see inside the park. Again, if you've not taken the time to investigate, then you're in for a treat.

But back to sailing, Neah Bay is a great place to end a day after snaking your way out of the sound on runs to the San Juans. It's nice not to have to battle the straits after a long day up sound. On a fun note, whenever we drive to the Port Angeles ferry for runs to Vic, we always stp to eat at the restuarant at the little marina there in Squim (I refuse to include that "e") and have never actually witness aboat in motion in that bay. Good to know they aren't just marina decoration.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2009, 20:03   #3

Boat: Sceptre 41
I was in Port Angeles about two years ago Del. It was inexpensive for moorage. We had a car so it made travel pretty easy. It is a bit run down of a town but there are lots of shops along the main street. The town is very maritime influenced. They commision some very expensive power boats there. I went thru a couple of times there when I caught the Ferry to Victoria as well. Is it a destination Not too sure but it is a decent enough place to stop.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2009, 19:26   #4

Thanks Guys

Neah Bay, hummm! I've always heard talk of it but haven't been close to it for more then 30 years now. But looks interesting, and then we could shoot across to Port San Juan. I'd like to circumnavigate Vancouver Island one of these days but can't seem to get enough time off.

I may just have to start taking my summers off, semi-retirement for a couple/few years then onto full retirement.

Elwha River! Yeah, I'll have to make a stop there. I've was in the Soleduck area about 15 years ago and did the hot springs there but didn't know there was one at Elwha.

Port Angeles, I believe, is an old fishing town. But we still get some valve business from there once in a while. So, it must be still active.

I'll have to try the Canadian side of the Strait too.
Old 21-12-2009, 09:19   #5

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
The immigration guys hang out in Port San Juan. They look like local fishermen until they flash their badges.
Just sayin'.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2009, 09:24   #6

Port San Juan is not a port of entry.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2009, 09:48   #7

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
We Anchored outside of the marina at Port Angeles last year (Sept 2008) but we got in after dark and never went ashore. We left early the next morning to head out to Neah Bay before jumping off to head south. The only thing I could say about it is watch the log booms if you come in after dark. We had no problem with them, but the potential for hitting them is there. Also, the only wifi I could get at anchor was expensive pay before you use wifi. They did give two minutes free before you have to pay though - that was enough for me to download the gribs. We stayed at the marina in Neah Bay and we liked it quite well there. The people were quite friendly, there is a decent little market near the marina. We had AT&T cell service and there was NO cell service in Neah bay for us. The local people said that if they stand in just the right place, they can catch a signal from Canada....
Neah Bay has a wonderful museum - the Makah Cultural and Research Center. They have done a wonderful job of it and we - including the kids - really enjoyed it! It was well worth the short walk (1/2 mile?) from the marina to the museum.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Neah Bay.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	243.4 KB
ID:	11965   Click image for larger version

Name:	Neah Bay (2).jpg
Views:	362
Size:	218.5 KB
ID:	11966  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Neah Bay (3).jpg
Views:	173
Size:	291.1 KB
ID:	11967  

clausont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2009, 22:28   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Port San Juan is not a port of entry.
Oh darn! You mean I have to go all the way to Victoria to check in. There use to be a customs (port of entry) in Bamfield but I read it's no longer available.

There doesn't seem to be any Customs along the Pacific side of Vancouver Is.
Old 21-12-2009, 22:38   #9

Quote:
There doesn't seem to be any Customs along the Pacific side of Vancouver Is.
Unfortunate but true

<h1><strong>Telephone Reporting Site - Marine</strong></h1>
Old 22-12-2009, 11:36   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
... There doesn't seem to be any Customs along the Pacific side of Vancouver Is.
Read with jackdale's link ➥ Map of CBSA Offices

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2009, 11:40   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Read with jackdale's link ➥ Map of CBSA Offices
Thanks Gord

That information might be used a sticky in the Destinations section. I have posted it a couple of times in reference to folks crossing the Pacific.
Old 23-12-2009, 14:52   #12

Boat: Beneteau 393
Along the same lines we are trying to go to places we usually avoid during the summer because of crowds (read: anywhere near Seattle!). We're heading to Blake Is. this weekend after spending Christmas in Liberty Bay (one of our favorites for near-town anchorages). Are there any other must-do spots to visit like this during the winter? We haven't been much South of Brownsville or Seattle, usually heading north or west from Everett.

We'll probably also head to La Conner for the first time within the next month or so, we always stopped at Hope Is. instead of going up the canal...

P.S. Delmarrey, I hope I'm not hijacking the intent of your initial post- I saw your comment on the PNW group, so thought I'd post here instead of creating a new thread.
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2009, 17:12   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPowers View Post
P.S. Delmarrey, I hope I'm not hijacking the intent of your initial post- I saw your comment on the PNW group, so thought I'd post here instead of creating a new thread.
No problem! I started this thread so us PNWer's could keep in touch on the board w/o having to go behind the scenes, in which emails and/or pops up on the next visit.

..........................._/)
Old 26-12-2009, 01:52   #14

Boat: 36' steel cutter
We stopped in both Neah Bay - Anchor out in 35 ft of water and go to the great Museum in town and hike to the Cape Flattery light and down to the water if your adventurous.

Port Angeles is great too. Inexpensive moorage. I would stay at the dock in town, but the the marina at the end is quiet and it is a nice bike path walk (1 mile) into town. Email me if you want more details.

OR

You can read about our time there here:
Never Give Up - The Log of s/v Bluewater: June 2006 Archives

But start at the bottom in Astoria to get the full effect.
Old 20-02-2010, 18:45   #15

Boat: Beneteau 393
Wow! What a great day sailing out on Puget Sound today!! We're anchored Manzanita Bay..(still trying to stay in new anchorages during the off-season). Anyone else out on the water this weekend?
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote