Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2014, 05:46   #1
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
Travel Lifts in Central America

I've done a couple of searches for this info, but must not have the buzzwords right. Do any of you know of a good place to haul and store a 40 ft. sailing catamaran on the Caribbean coast of Central America? I'm looking for some place with a travel lift, that can secure a boat on the hard during storm season.

I know about Rio Dulce.
Old 26-11-2014, 06:34   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: travel lifts in Cental America?

Shelter Bay Marina, located at Caribbean entrance to the Panama Canal, has a 100 Ton travelift that can lift catamarans 28 feet wide.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2014, 06:38   #3

Boat: Seafarer36c

Isla Mujeres, not central but close.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2014, 06:57   #4

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

For storm safe why think anywhere else but rio dulce.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2014, 10:51   #5
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
For storm safe why think anywhere else but rio dulce.

well, basically because there's no way I'm leaving the boat alone in a river for four months.

Thanks for the leads. I think Panama is further south than we intend to go this season, but Isla might be workable. We're thinking of not bringing the boat back to Providenciales next summer, and planning the trip so that we put the boat someplace else between July and November.

sent from a wooden desk using a failing ASUS laptop with a funky keyboard and the USB and sound cards no longer work.
Old 26-11-2014, 14:30   #6

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

In regards to the river.....it would be surrounded by lots of other boats stored on the hard for hurricane season.....much better than an island that gets beaten by the wind on a regular basis.

Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2014, 14:34   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
well, basically because there's no way I'm leaving the boat alone in a river for four months.

Thanks for the leads. I think Panama is further south than we intend to go this season, but Isla might be workable. We're thinking of not bringing the boat back to Providenciales next summer, and planning the trip so that we put the boat someplace else between July and November.

sent from a wooden desk using a failing ASUS laptop with a funky keyboard and the USB and sound cards no longer work.
Well there is a trailer now in the rio. New yard just east of the other one. Looks just right for a cat.
Old 26-11-2014, 15:38   #8

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Travel Lifts in Central America

There are options in Honduras too. New ship yard in Roatan near French Harbor. La Ceiba ship yard. Naval yard in Pueto Cortez.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2014, 15:41   #9

Quote:
Huh? If you are going to haul out then you wont be "in" a river.

So, why not?
Old 26-11-2014, 16:24   #10

I'm wondering if you have been to the rio? This is not a regular river, more a lake. The marinas are mostly on little islands with no road access to town, very secure and they will take good care of your boat. Local labor is $5 hr and it's easy to keep your boat in nice shape. 4 months ain't much.
My info may be off some but about $225 in the water and $275 + haul and launch per month on the hard.
Old 26-11-2014, 20:50   #11

I kept my boat on the Rio Dulce for 5 years in a marina. It cost me less than 150.00 a month. When I came back it was clean and aired out and my laundry was washed and folded. The people there were more trustworthy than anywhere in the states that I was ever located. I am in love with the place. However. I have not been there since 2009. I imagine just like everywhere else things have changed. But I doubt that the people have changed very much. Mac
Hard Rock Candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2014, 21:34   #12

Boat: Corbin 39 Pilot House, Tayana 42

What about Luperon? just south of caicos. i thing they ca haul out cat on the modified trailer
henryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 04:29   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Rock Candy View Post
I kept my boat on the Rio Dulce for 5 years in a marina. It cost me less than 150.00 a month. When I came back it was clean and aired out and my laundry was washed and folded. The people there were more trustworthy than anywhere in the states that I was ever located. I am in love with the place. However. I have not been there since 2009. I imagine just like everywhere else things have changed. But I doubt that the people have changed very much. Mac
Not so much since 2009. Still a great place. Still great people here amd in the rest of Guate too.
Old 27-11-2014, 05:54   #14

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

I'm not sure what you think is bad about being up a river vs. inside a bay or on the shore of an island in the middle of a hurricane zone, but if it is referring to the river boatyards themselves being low-quality, that is not the case.

We hauled out in RAM Marina, where they have a modern large and new travelift, paved yard, West Marine store, waste filtering and reclamation system, paint shed, nice bathroom/shower facilities, a convenience store and restaurant, fuel dock, etc.

If you are concerned about security, they have a gated facility with an armed guard posted at the gate. They also have the yard covered with security cameras that feed into a website so you can even watch your boat the entire time you are gone. I am not aware of any boats having been vandalized there.

And prices are 2-3x less than Shelter Bay Marina, which has suffered yard and boat break-ins in the recent past (how this has happened is unclear, since they are on a military base with great security).

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 06:17   #15

Quote:

Hello good to hear your still floating...How fixed did you get your Catalac?? by the way-- Isla is dead center for hurricanes -right in hurricane alleytheres a boatyard in rio that can store your boat out of the "dreaded River"
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lift