Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2013, 08:46   #526

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Transit Time? NY-FL

Oh yes, I had seen that yesterday but forgot today. The joys of an aging brain. Thanks for the reply.

Edit: So its actually Active Captain that needs to update their charts, not the individual user.
Old 18-11-2013, 13:03   #527

Boat: S2-9.2 CC & IP40

Well Scoobert you have learned quite a bit so far on your trip. I think you now know why you can't go "down the outside and then if things get hairy, just scoot inside". If conditions deteriorate on the ocean....chances are you are too late to get inside.

You are very lucky that you did not hit anything in that fog. Since I think you said you do not have a chart plotter: Suggest you get an Ipad with GPS and download navionics so that you will have current charts. I think I paid less than $60.00 for Navionics with the charts. The ipad will be useful for many things besides charts.
Old 18-11-2013, 13:14   #528

Boat: 1997 Catalina 42 MkII

For an iPad, get the app SEAIQ for $10 and all charts are free. That's what we've been using.
Old 18-11-2013, 16:03   #529

Boat: PETERSON 44
Sooo. I ran a update this summer on my garmin. It should gave included a chart update.
So this thread made me check. Sure enough I flubbed that. The system updated but the charts did not. Should have checked/confirmed. This thread caused some mild spark if interest to see if the update was truly updated. Nit niit not.
So back I go for the update. Sometimes help comes at moments you least expect.
Thanks thread for making me think out side the box.
Old 18-11-2013, 16:16   #530

Boat: EndeavourCat 36
I use Navimatics Charts & tides, with activecaptain info loaded into it, on my iPad. I use the regular activecaptain on my Mac, but mostly for route planning. The Navimatics app updates the charts periodically.
Old 18-11-2013, 18:50   #531

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Scoobert, Now yall know why I carry so many paper charts! I find that even old paper charts will give me the info I need to make those foggy, bad weather entrances to harbors along my way! I really think that spending a little more and haveing paper charts to make those inlets a whole lot less hard to use safely!! And ya just never know when your electronics are gonna take a dump!! Keep makeing those good decisions!! and be safe! and think about useing a little more simple watchs!! 4 hour watchs have served Connie and I well over our years of cruiseing!! It's hard to make good decisions when your worn out from those LONG watchs you have been trying out !!LOL Hope yall stay safe and keep makeing these posts so we know how yall are doing !! And really training a crew takes a lot longer then you have had to train them so things go smoothly!! Heck your still learning yourself!! I consider a line in the wheel a small thing for a first cruise!! At least you and the crew should never make the same mistake again !!
Old 19-11-2013, 00:59   #532

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

Remember also that OpenCPN gives tides and current information, too. I have heard of people using OpenCPN for their main chart plotter but I find transferring the plots I made on OpenCPN to my Lowrance Chart plotter a better option. Also, if your computer runs off DC you can add a track to every place you go. That has helped me get back into an inlet that I left a few months previous in the dark. Just follow the track I left the last time.
Old 19-11-2013, 04:29   #533
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

i have started the blog updates
S/V Union Pacific
Old 19-11-2013, 06:26   #534

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch

Scoobert....great update to your blog....I agree with your frustrations of the " Rip Off Dockage in NJ". I see why there were no other boats in the pics......nasty...
Keep a comin South....you are heading in the right direction....the Ladies have Big Smiles so all is good.....on your way down, if Jacksonville is a place you need to stop just let me know if I can help in any way.......

S/V Water Wings
Old 19-11-2013, 06:39   #535

I find it absolutely amazing the cheering squad that is occurring here, besides the near zero experience in crew and captain, the total lack of research before departing is utterly amazing, surprised at how expensive NYC is, hello one phone call earlier in the year could have told you that. And now lets add to this, the worse possible time of year to travel! But hey, he is doing it, yea, if you could say that!
Old 19-11-2013, 07:33   #536
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjwiley1 View Post
Scoobert....great update to your blog....I agree with your frustrations of the " Rip Off Dockage in NJ". I see why there were no other boats in the pics......nasty...
Keep a comin South....you are heading in the right direction....the Ladies have Big Smiles so all is good.....on your way down, if Jacksonville is a place you need to stop just let me know if I can help in any way.......
i plan to put the yacht in Jacksonville for a few weeks. i found a nice marina there, and we are debating a mooring, or a dock... $10 a day for a mooring cannot be ignored, neither can the fact our dingy is worthless, outright dangerous for two people.
Old 19-11-2013, 07:46   #537

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Jacksonville can be chilly in the winter. It's better than New York but it is not the tropics. I grew up there. The temp in Fla really changes dramatically as you go south. Max temp in Jax is about 66 in December and average is 52. Miami is about 15 warmer. It's all here.
http://www.floridatravelusa.com/wcharts.htm
Old 19-11-2013, 07:49   #538
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Jacksonville can be chilly in the winter. It's better than New York but it is not the tropics. I grew up there. The temp in Fla really changes dramatically as you go south.

I believe it! i am planning to stop there to go home and work for 3 weeks, we are thinking about the Bahamas for Christmas.
We have not made a decision yet. 60 degrees is all we need for a nice day. The yacht stays warm all night without heat, so thats not an issue for us. being from NY, we have very heavy blankets.

We are planning to leave ocean city tomorrow evening.
Old 19-11-2013, 08:25   #539
cruiser

i was looking at the weather... and i am not great at this yet.... but it looks like i have a window for running outside cape hatteras? what do you think? can i make it from ocean city, to beaufort in 3 days? it looks like 300 miles, and i can do 100 in 24 with engines alone, not to mention sails....

Quote:
Coastal waters from Currituck Beach Light to Oregon Inlet NC out 20 nm

Thu: NE winds 10 to 15 kt. Seas 4 to 6 ft.

Thu Night: NE winds 5 to 10 kt. Seas 3 to 5 ft.

Fri: E winds 5 to 10 kt...becoming S. Seas 2 to 4 ft.

Quote:
Coastal waters from Oregon Inlet to Cape Hatteras NC out 20 nm
Wed Night: NE winds 15 to 20 kt. Seas 5 to 7 ft. Dominant period 12 seconds.

Thu: NE winds 10 to 15 kt. Seas 4 to 6 ft.

Thu Night: NE winds 10 to 15 kt...diminishing to 5 to 10 kt after midnight. Seas 3 to 5 ft.

Fri: NE winds 5 to 10 kt...becoming S. Seas 2 to 4 ft.

Quote:
Coastal waters from Cape Hatteras to Ocracoke Inlet NC out 20 nm

Thu Night: NE winds 10 to 15 kt...diminishing to 5 to 10 kt after midnight. Seas 3 to 5 ft.

Fri: NE winds 5 to 10 kt...becoming S. Seas 2 to 4 ft.

Sat: SW winds 10 to 15 kt...increasing to 15 to 20 kt. Seas 4 to 6 ft. A chance of showers.
this would put me in 4-6' seas on the last day. i would stay within 5NM of shore the entire trip.
Old 19-11-2013, 09:02   #540

Boat: Catalina 30
I personally would not. I would go a route that would allow dropping the hook and getting some rest and not having to depend on a tired green crew. 72 hours is a long time.

The good thing about this thread is the wife and I have had a few good discussions about her standing watch. We concluded that until she gets to the point were she feels comfortable single handing the boat we will avoid overnight passages.
Closed Thread