Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2013, 07:47   #181

Re: Transit time? NY-FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLOI View Post

BTW - have you checked that that topping lift reaches to the water at the stern of the boat?
Capital idea!

BTW: how did that crewman break 3 ribs? Was it the steps in the companion way? The worst I had done was break several bones in my hand when caught in an override in a winch. Well, that and a severely bruised ankle from landing wrong after stepping over a hatch on the pitching bow. Scrapes and cuts go with the territory.
Old 23-09-2013, 09:14   #182

Boat: S2-9.2 CC & IP40

Make sure before you leave that you have good insurance coverage and that you are covered for offshore passage. If boats end up with damage.....many times it is incurred offshore.
Old 23-09-2013, 09:30   #183

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebWench View Post
Make sure before you leave that you have good insurance coverage and that you are covered for offshore passage. If boats end up with damage.....many times it is incurred offshore.
And where would scoobert get this coverage?
Old 23-09-2013, 10:02   #184

Boat: Catalina 34MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
life sling + topping lift = lifting a whale on board.
if unconscious, she will hook my harness (how did i fall over with a harness on in the first place?) and do the same thing. she can hook the boom vang right to me, crank up the boom, lock it off, then hoist me with the vang. not saying its going to be fast, but then like i said, how will i be overboard with a harness, unless the jack line breaks?
You should try this right there on your mooring. See how well it works out for you there before you assume that your wife, or yourself for that matter, can get someone back aboard in tough conditions. You will find it is more than difficult while in benigh conditions.
Old 23-09-2013, 10:23   #185
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I think we've reached the point where we should each ante up two bucks, pool the money, and install a couple of GoPro cameras on scoobert's boat, so everyone can sit back and enjoy watching the show after he makes landfall. Or live streaming video, and option the broadcast rights.

Breaking Seas: An overweight, middle-aged computer nerd buys his first boat, quits his job, and sails off to adventure - [author] Damato, Glenn
Borrowed from Amazon's library. Interesting account of "I'm going sailing!" right down to the way a "composting" head apparently fails quite miserably and unpredictably under the wrong circumstances.
Old 23-09-2013, 11:27   #186

I would think he could talk to the many marine insurance companies out there. Even Boatus has an insurance division. I am sure he can learn a great deal from them.

I don't know about you but even my marina, where I keep my boat requires coverage for the boat as well as liability. I guess they want to make sure that in case my boat does damage to their docks....they will be covered. Plus for your own peace of mind you would want to be covered for uninsured boaters, in case they were to hit you. I also have coverage for storm damage or fuel spill.....that can cost you a fortune if it were to happen.
I like peace of mind.....insurance covers that.

Besides if you were to hit a rock or reef or some other garbage in the water (hard to see at night) you would want to be covered for the damage to your boat, and you too if you suffered medical issues.
Old 23-09-2013, 11:29   #187
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"you would want to be covered for the damage to your boat"
Not to mention, wreck removal and environmental cleanup charges and fines.
Old 23-09-2013, 11:43   #188

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebWench View Post
I would think he could talk to the many marine insurance companies out there. Even Boatus has an insurance division. I am sure he can learn a great deal from them.

My earlier comment "And where would scoobert get this coverage?" was in reply to your statement "Make sure before you leave that you have good insurance coverage and that you are covered for offshore passage."

Many insurers require a competent skipper and minimum crew standards when insuring for an "offshore passage". I am not convinced that the OP would meet those requirements.
Old 23-09-2013, 17:38   #189

Boat: Etap 37 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5 View Post

BTW: how did that crewman break 3 ribs?
Scrapes and cuts go with the territory.
Not 100% sure to be honest. It is a race boat, so no interior down below, and it can be a long way from one side to the other. He said he got thrown into the edge of a pipe cot. I was on deck getting the main down - we were bouncing around a bit.

Two days earlier when we were doing the route planning, I made the comment "... it's only 30 knots...". The guy who got hurt reminded me of that comment a few times.
Old 24-09-2013, 10:05   #190
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

so this bad, or worse?
Old 24-09-2013, 10:10   #191
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Don't forget he has also promised in other threads to forgo the use of GPS in support of further government austerity.

also to deny any form of rescue that isn't privately funded.
Old 24-09-2013, 10:12   #192

Boat: Catalina 34MKII

That is a nice day on the water. Video never does justice to the actual wave size but in these pictures it is evident that there is no storm. Just average downwind sailing with no green water coming over the top of the dodger. Going back into it would probably be wet, but nothing bad. No $%^& hitting the fan in this video.
Old 24-09-2013, 10:12   #193

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:

Way, way worse! Dude is still able to sit still and eat potato chips!
Old 24-09-2013, 10:15   #194
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Transit time? NY-FL

Quote:
Can be a lot worse... if you get your widows wrong..
I'd estimate sea's were 3metres with the occasional 4metre wave in that clip... winds maybe 25kts.. 30 kts at a push as he was heading downwind..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 24-09-2013, 10:36   #195

No one really knows what you will experience ....could be better, could be worse.....could be much worse, and will be very cold in November as well. This is why everyone is suggesting to stay in the ICW for as much as possible.

Just watched the video....that's a good day on the "protected" waters of the Chesapeake! Suggest you watch some of the other videos....some big water ones.
Closed Thread