Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2013, 18:29   #1126

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: Transit Time? NY-FL

Not everything is solved by throwing money at it !! If one helps others, it's amazing how that help come back in bunchs! I know that I would be glad to help a injured sailor move batterys if needed! There have been times that even I needed help ! LOL and because Ive helped others, it seems that help was there when I needed it ! If yall were closer Scoob I would be glad to give ya an hour or two to get things set up for ya while your down in the back !! Im sure that there are others that are close that will give ya a hand if ya need it !! Never be afarid to owe someone help! just help those that need it when ya can ! Worked for us over the years !
Old 05-12-2013, 18:34   #1127
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Not everything is solved by throwing money at it !! If one helps others, it's amazing how that help come back in bunchs! I know that I would be glad to help a injured sailor move batterys if needed! There have been times that even I needed help ! LOL and because Ive helped others, it seems that help was there when I needed it ! If yall were closer Scoob I would be glad to give ya an hour or two to get things set up for ya while your down in the back !! Im sure that there are others that are close that will give ya a hand if ya need it !! Never be afarid to owe someone help! just help those that need it when ya can ! Worked for us over the years !

well thank you. i was feeling better today, and i tried to lift the spinnaker. i moved it, and hurt for an hour after. this is going to make my day job a nightmare...

dune buggy loading - YouTube

now... if you want to come do my job for me
Old 05-12-2013, 19:36   #1128

Speaking for myself the greatest claim to fame is when I have helped others. I've lived a great many varied experiences but the greatest is to give my time or money in aid of another and especially so when I knew they were not able to return the favor. Just pass it down the line when able and to the best of your ability is what I'd say.

I have known folks who find it difficult to accept help. My own wife was like that. To them I would say you are denying others the joy of giving. It is better to learn to be gracious in receiving. To receive does not obligate you to that other. In fact, that is one of the basest arguments against receiving.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:10   #1129
cruiser

S/V Union Pacific : Back in the ocean again!
update!
Old 06-12-2013, 09:18   #1130
cruiser

Sailing upstream - YouTube
shooting the rapids in Charleston!

can't remember the name of the cut.

rough ocean
http://tinyurl.com/nfaxlzt
Old 06-12-2013, 09:20   #1131

Are you still learning the difference between current and tide?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 06-12-2013, 09:21   #1132
cruiser

most likely. at 35 knots, you don't notice them, now i have to plan for them.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:59   #1133
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

I know the CF community will not do it - we are just too "helpful". Imagine gentle reader NOT offering information or advise to Scoob for 7 days.

Let him fend for himself for a week while on passage and track his questions on other forums.

Of course this is contrary to the way we operate.

Regards
Old 06-12-2013, 12:27   #1134
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
Sailing upstream - YouTube shooting the rapids in Charleston! can't remember the name of the cut. rough ocean http://tinyurl.com/nfaxlzt
I don't want to be rude or flame.... BUT if are calling those conditions "rough seas" you really need more deck time. I'm going to guess 4-6 with occasional 8' roller. Nothing was breaking and the bow never went under. Many would have tucked a reef or maybe two and gone with it.

But what do any of us know....
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Old 06-12-2013, 12:32   #1135
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
I don't want to be rude or flame.... BUT if are calling those conditions "rough seas" you really need more deck time. I'm going to guess 4-6 with occasional 8' roller. Nothing was breaking and the bow never went under. Many would have tucked a reef or maybe two and gone with it.

But what do any of us know....

everyone has a definition of rough. would anyone call that smooth? not saying its storm conditions, just rough. we have been in worse, off sandy hook, NJ. but nothing very serious yet.
i was dismayed thou, i thought a small craft advisory would be worse. we have been in three now, and i would call them good sailing conditions.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:48   #1136
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Transit Time? NY-FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
everyone has a definition of rough. would anyone call that smooth? not saying its storm conditions, just rough. we have been in worse, off sandy hook, NJ. but nothing very serious yet.
i was dismayed thou, i thought a small craft advisory would be worse. we have been in three now, and i would call them good sailing conditions.
Well your not exactly a small boat are you... that's usually small open craft like Boston whalers and the like..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:50   #1137
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Well your not exactly a small boat are you... that's usually small open craft like Boston whalers and the like..
thats what i thought, but i googled it, and it said,
Quote:
The National Weather Service does not specifically identify what constitutes a "small craft," although the United States Coast Guard Auxiliary informally assigns the designation to boats with a total length of less than 65 feet.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:53   #1138

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519
small craft advisories vary from location to location. Generally, they are posted when winds are expected to range from 28 to 38 mph or waves of 5 to 7'. However, the wind range may drop as low as 24 mph for harbors or bays, and waves as low as 4'. There are other local variations which forecasters take into effect.Practically, this sailor will tell you the go-no go decision depends or should depend upon your experience as a skipper, the exact capabilities of your boat and the fortitude (or comfort level) of your passengers.
Old 06-12-2013, 13:01   #1139
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba0_1 View Post
small craft advisories vary from location to location. Generally, they are posted when winds are expected to range from 28 to 38 mph or waves of 5 to 7'. However, the wind range may drop as low as 24 mph for harbors or bays, and waves as low as 4'. There are other local variations which forecasters take into effect.Practically, this sailor will tell you the go-no go decision depends or should depend upon your experience as a skipper, the exact capabilities of your boat and the fortitude (or comfort level) of your passengers.
good to know. i have learned quite a bit on this trip, that i had no idea about. the first 1/2 of our trip was spent within 8 mile of shore. i had never read anywhere that closer to shore, unless the wind is blowing from onshore, is more rough, due to shallow water.

as far as go, no-go i don't want to be in anything larger then 8' seas if i can help it. its just uncomfortable. if we get into some nasty stuff someday, its not a big deal, just it makes it not very fun. i find 3-5, on anywhere but the rear quarters, comfortable, and i can sleep well in those conditions. i will have to try far offshore someday. the most i have been so far is about 24 miles off by myrtle beach.
the biggest seas i have seen are 6-8, with 12' +/-3' rollers. big enough to soak the deck, and coat the windows on the dodger with spray.
Old 06-12-2013, 13:29   #1140
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here's a little bit more, but still not quite rough: (see the segment starting at 0:25). These were "fresh" conditions with perhaps 6ft tradewinds swells and about 25 kts. We spent a couple of days plowing north into this stuff when we left Hawaii on 2006. Near the end of the video is our whale collision.

Here are bigger seas and stronger wind (about 9-12 ft seas, and 30 kts wind), but we were sailing downwind (in 2012, video taken by a crewmember):

I am posting this as a sort of calibration service. It is just about impossible for a video to convey how big waves and swells actually are. My videos look non-impressive, but trust me those wave height estimates are pretty accurate. Scoobert's conditions were no doubt worse than it looks.

Here are some 120kt wind (first segment) and 40ft seas (second segment), shot between Antarctica and Cape Horn. I'm very glad I was on a big ship! : (yes I actually know how to spell "williwah")
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Closed Thread