Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2013, 07:09   #571

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch
Re: Transit Time? NY-FL

Scoobert....you are doin good...keep it up....I doubt if anyone will stay quiet but continue to offer helpful advise for everyone to gain just as Cormorant just gave......keep smilin...

S/V Water Wings
Old 20-11-2013, 07:11   #572

Boat: Catalina 30
Hey Scoob, you stated you may leave the boat on the Fl east coast for a bit. You may be able to get a special rate.

http://www.titusville.com/sectionindex.asp?sectionid=52
Old 20-11-2013, 08:07   #573

Scoobert, thanks for the comeback. Being short on funds indirectly has influenced safety. Short on funds caused the crew member to leave the boat. If in any way you had incorporated that hand into your plans you would now have to shorten up (amend) due to shortened crew. It's different if that crew were supernumerary. And now you speak of breaking into sealed stores.

I reckon I wasn't clear about Oregon. I meant aren't there obvious hazards, maybe even notes on the chart? The last time I saw the inlet was in 2003 when in the area for the Centennial of Flight Celebration. That was in December and I watched the guys in their skiffs and center consoles have a hellish time. The last time I had boated in that area was so long ago it is not relevant.

My intent is not to critique but to gain some insight into your thinking/thought process.

P.S. wasn't it earlier in the thread that you had considered outside at Hatteras? In fact, wasn't it until quite recently you mentioned going outside but remaining 5 off the beach? Mark me as curious why the seeming vacillation in routing.
Old 20-11-2013, 08:31   #574

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft
I think other more experienced skippers vacillate some too, and especially new ones. Only difference is we're getting scooberts decisions live, broadcast on the Internet.

Changing conditions/situations require adapting, and I think that's what we're seeing here.

The ride down to Chesapeake may be adventure enough, and then the NC sounds are a great place to get some sailing experience.

Part of this is entertainment, and I'm getting my money's worth. Scoobert likes to get reactions, but talking about something and doing it is not the same. His calling ahead also shows he's savvy enough to not use an Internet forum for his sole source of info, even if a bit unconventional, or seemingly, in his passage planning.
Old 20-11-2013, 08:33   #575
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

Big seas today. Our biggest. 8-10' sets
Old 20-11-2013, 09:13   #576
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
Big seas today. Our biggest. 8-10' sets
don't worry if you ever get into wind against current conditions in the gulf stream,8-10' will seem like little puppies!
Old 20-11-2013, 09:35   #577

Boat: Vancouver 27

Quote:
thanks for the tip, i love prime rib! i hope its good? we have a 600-1000 mile range, so 84 is not a big deal, but i wonder if i top off how much more draft it would give us vs having half a tank?
It's daytime runs in the ICW and particularly at this time of year, there's nowhere near enough light to make 84 miles. So he was just sayin that you may have to revise your expectations if you're hoping to stay in marinas every night along the way.

That few day run should be a fun stretch though. Its a pretty segment of the ICW and 3 or so days is just about the right amount of time to spend before it starts to lose its flavor
Old 20-11-2013, 09:36   #578

Ain't Atoll a bundle of joy. And he is exactly right. But don't be dismayed...get out there and snap some pictures of squares waves, where the wave face exceeds the angle of repose.

Now, allow me pick a nit. The term 'seas' is used to describe a sea state produced from the combination of wind and swell. Swell may be absent but wind waves may be present. Anyway, it is the combination which is seas. Therefore, 'set', which applies to swell alone, is not appropriate when describing seas.

Perhaps the most practical significance is when a mariner hears 'seas' in a weather report, advisory, warning, etc they will understand the conditions apply to more then just wave height and period and thereby be better prepared.
Old 20-11-2013, 09:39   #579
cruiser

How about port quatering?
Old 20-11-2013, 09:42   #580
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by laika View Post
It's daytime runs in the ICW and particularly at this time of year, there's nowhere near enough light to make 84 miles. So he was just sayin that you may have to revise your expectations if you're hoping to stay in marinas every night along the way.

That few day run should be a fun stretch though. Its a pretty segment of the ICW and 3 or so days is just about the right amount of time to spend before it starts to lose its flavor
Not planning on marina to marina. We will anchor more as we get warmer.
Ocean city had no anchorages that were protected.
Old 20-11-2013, 09:46   #581

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5 View Post
Ain't Atoll a bundle of joy. And he is exactly right.

Now, allow me pick a nit. The term 'seas' is used to describe a sea state produced from the combination of wind and swell. Swell may be absent but wind waves may be present. Anyway, it is the combination which is seas. Therefore, 'set', which applies to swell alone, is not appropriate when describing seas.

Are you related to Barney Fife the nit picker extraordinaire,
or just watch to much Mayberry ?...

"The best cure for sea sickness, is to sit under a tree."
~Spike Milligan.
.............."Life's not fair, and people don't act right"~Me.........
Old 20-11-2013, 09:46   #582

Quote:
How about port quartering?
What is the context?
Old 20-11-2013, 09:48   #583

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B. View Post
Are you related to Barney Fife the nit picker extraordinaire,
or just watch to much Mayberry ?...
Quiet you in Indiana. Naw, they let me keep my own shootin arns an things.
Old 20-11-2013, 10:23   #584

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

Quote:
Not planning on marina to marina. We will anchor more as we get warmer.
Ocean city had no anchorages that were protected.
Just after you make the hairy entrance to Alligator River, at marker R30, Turn to port and go into East Lake, It's a really good anchorage in North, East and South wind. Then you'll be all set for the remainder of Alligator River and the Pongo Canal. If the wind is from the West and strong, you can go down 1 mile past the bridge and just pull up to about 300 yards off the eastern shore and anchor.

BTW, I did Coinjock to Belhaven, non-stop, solo, thru the Pongo Canal in the dark. New Years Eve 2012. Beautiful full moon night without a breath of wind. Water got skinny but still had about 2' under my 6' keel. Very wierd, you can see the bridge at the end of the canal from over 10 miles. Stay centered and you should be OK.
Old 20-11-2013, 15:09   #585
cruiser

Going to be our roughest night yet. Seas are still 5'. Hitting us on the rear port quarter.
Wind is ne. Really rough... For us.
Closed Thread