Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2013, 03:24   #556
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Transit Time? NY-FL

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Yetii.

Old 20-11-2013, 03:47   #557

Thanks. Been lurking and living vicariously. Through the adventurers here.
Old 20-11-2013, 03:55   #558
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

we are heading out today, when i reach the bay i will make the decision. i will base it on how much rest we both have, the weather, and bail out options. we are down to two crew for the remainder of the journey, so we may just go inside for that reason.
Old 20-11-2013, 04:39   #559

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

Inside from Norfolk to Beaufort is a very nice run. Just remember there is no place to dock between Coinjock and Belhaven (84 miles) plenty of anchorages but no fuel. Fill up at Coinjock. The Alligator River Marina is too shallow for you to enter.
Old 20-11-2013, 04:45   #560
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

Check out AC for the area; Free dockage in Portsmouth (space available), Call ahead for a reservation at Coinjock for docking, fuel, and prime rib. Once thru the Alligator-Pungo Canal there are many anchorages, pick one depending upon the wind. If you need any help below Oriental check out Bock Marine on Adam's Creek, great people.

Let us know where you are and we'll try to help; why did you loose a crew member? It can be an good lesson for both captain and crew….
Old 20-11-2013, 04:54   #561
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Berg View Post
why did you loose a crew member? It can be an good lesson for both captain and crew….
she thought that $800 would be enough money for a 3 month trip.... and burned thru it in 8 days. she never bothered to ask us, and said she had plenty when she boarded.
Old 20-11-2013, 05:01   #562

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
she thought that $800 would be enough money for a 3 month trip.... and burned thru it in 8 days. she never bothered to ask us, and said she had plenty when she boarded.
$800 in 8 days for one person on a boat? That´s 3000$ a month per person... Wouaw!
Old 20-11-2013, 05:07   #563
cruiser

she wanted to eat out with us every night.... thats just how we do it....
she also did not listen to us. she spent $500 at west marine on clothing.
we told her to get the rain jacket, she got the jacket, bibs, a second jacket.... she said she had plenty for the trip, and this morning she was packing to leave. said she had $300 left. its not a big deal.
Old 20-11-2013, 05:11   #564
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1500 View Post
Inside from Norfolk to Beaufort is a very nice run. Just remember there is no place to dock between Coinjock and Belhaven (84 miles) plenty of anchorages but no fuel. Fill up at Coinjock. The Alligator River Marina is too shallow for you to enter.
thanks for the tip, i love prime rib! i hope its good? we have a 600-1000 mile range, so 84 is not a big deal, but i wonder if i top off how much more draft it would give us vs having half a tank?
Old 20-11-2013, 05:12   #565

Boat: Catalina 30
Galley stoves are nice, for some reason I have always enjoyed eating on the boat.
Old 20-11-2013, 05:19   #566

It is the captain's responsibility to keep boat and crew safe. To carry this out would include making known the expected financial burden for each soul onboard. A more direct action would be to ask how much funds has each crew allowed for the trip.

Late in season, untested boat, untested crew, now having to alter the route (or at least the viable options) to accommodate loss of crew member. Probable cause: Captain's failure to communicate. Contributing factors: lack of financial means by crew member; sloth-like progress along route.

I understand there is a weather window which even then is not ideal. Take heed of Atol's advice and make quick passage. The boat is approaching a notable area. The best option is swift passage.

On a different note, I've been toying with an idea. Likely I'll take heat for this but it seems to me there is a bit of handholding here. Scoob has consistently stated he thinks he has what it takes and that the boat is sound. I say it's time for the practical test. All hands get below and pipe down, let the skipper be the skipper.

Evidence of this is as recent as his thoughts of making Oregon Inlet. Now he did contact the CG which is demonstration of safety conscious, forward thinking yet that must be tempered by the absence of careful inspection of the charting.

Best wishes to Union Pacific.

To Scoob, and only Scoob, what is the weather looking like? What can you derive as a plan of action based solely on the most current wx reports? 'Show your work'.
Old 20-11-2013, 05:45   #567

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
... i wonder if i top off how much more draft it would give us vs having half a tank?

Your boat will have (roughly) 1700 pounds per inch immersion. Diesel weighs roughly 7 lbs per gallon. So you sink one inch per 243 gallons, more or less. . . . If your tank is located significantly aft of amidships, you may go down by the stern more than the bow.
Old 20-11-2013, 05:50   #568
cruiser

richard, we are learning. a crew member being broke has nothing to do with safety. she could eat from the 70# of rice we keep sealed up on board.

this is not "late in the season" this is the safe time to make an Atlantic passage, after hurricane season. sure, its chilly, but thats of little concern.

i inspected the chart for Oregon inlet. they do not chart the inlet in paper chart form. after contacting the CG they referred me to the corp website, and that has a weekly updated chart.

we are going inside. not even considering outside now, and the chance we would have gone outside was low to begin with. we will slip out of the inlet today, head to norfolk, and enjoy our dinner there tomorrow.

weather? looks good for our 24 hour passage to norfolk, looks like we will be on a starboard tack, and be able to achieve our goal speed of 5kts on #3 jib alone.
Old 20-11-2013, 05:51   #569
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
Your boat will have (roughly) 1700 pounds per inch immersion. Diesel weighs roughly 7 lbs per gallon. So you sink one inch per 243 gallons, more or less. . . . If your tank is located significantly aft of amidships, you may go down by the stern more than the bow.
that is awesome information, thank you!!!!!
no wonder 250 gallons of water did not allow me to see a waterline difference.

and yes our tank is far aft, 140 gallons, all 3' before the rudder.
Old 20-11-2013, 06:30   #570

Boat: S2-9.2 CC & IP40

Now you are sounding more and more like the captain of the ship!
Closed Thread