Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2013, 09:56   #286
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Wilbur By The Sea, FL
Boat: Catalina 30
Posts: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgilligan View Post
I am not an experienced sailor, so my words mean nothing here..but, seems to me that this endeavor can only end badly, either way it goes. One way is for something bad to happen since this person seems to not care about the advice of others. The other way is for the trip to go off without a hitch and he gets a more inflated ego. That will result in bigger trips without proper experience..
Since we are in the prediction business here is mine. Scoob and co will be fine but will be lucky to make it to Ft Pierce before time runs out.

Not due to failures in seamanship but there are so many cool places to stop in on the way. Savannah, Charleston, St Augustine and many, many little ports that you can burn time walking and seeing the sights.

Keep us posted, sounds like a fun trip.
__________________

__________________
Gary
http://svknotaclew.wordpress.com/
The Garbone is offline  
Old 05-11-2013, 10:50   #287
cruiser

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: medusa NY
Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"
Posts: 2,098
Re: Transit time? NY-FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Garbone View Post
Since we are in the prediction business here is mine. Scoob and co will be fine but will be lucky to make it to Ft Pierce before time runs out.

Not due to failures in seamanship but there are so many cool places to stop in on the way. Savannah, Charleston, St Augustine and many, many little ports that you can burn time walking and seeing the sights.

Keep us posted, sounds like a fun trip.
The person (sister in law) that was going to stay 8-10 days has decided to remain with us for at least 2 months, lol.
__________________

__________________
scoobert is offline  
Old 05-11-2013, 10:53   #288
Registered User
 
RedFeather's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: New York City/Mastic, NY USA
Boat: Watkins Sea Wolf 25
Posts: 100
Re: Transit time? NY-FL

Scoobert, if I understood your blog correctly, you recently lost a child? Very sorry if that's the case. If not, what gives with that post?
__________________
RedFeather
RedFeather is offline  
Old 05-11-2013, 11:02   #289
cruiser

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: medusa NY
Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"
Posts: 2,098
Re: Transit time? NY-FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFeather View Post
Scoobert, if I understood your blog correctly, you recently lost a child? Very sorry if that's the case. If not, what gives with that post?
Yes, our son died. Thats what is with that post, And my generally pesimistic and rude attitude.
__________________
scoobert is offline  
Old 05-11-2013, 11:05   #290
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: May 2011
Location: PDX
Boat: Gulfstar 50
Posts: 895
Re: Transit time? NY-FL

Hey Scoobert, Your boat is documented I recall. Have you updated the documentation. I think you can get a hefty fine and be ordered to stop if you have not updated it.

USCG National Vessel Documentation Center, Home Page

Regards
__________________
evm1024 is online now  
Old 05-11-2013, 11:11   #291
Registered User
 
RedFeather's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: New York City/Mastic, NY USA
Boat: Watkins Sea Wolf 25
Posts: 100
Re: Transit time? NY-FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
Yes, our son died. Thats what is with that post, And my generally pesimistic and rude attitude.
I'm so very sorry for your loss. As a parent, I can only imagine how painful this time must be. And I can also imagine what a relief it must be to embark on a journey that others think is careless but must seem to you and your family as a release and a desire to make the world different. Because for you, it will never be the same. Sometimes, you just have to do it.

Fair winds and safe journey.
__________________
RedFeather
RedFeather is offline  
Old 05-11-2013, 11:13   #292
cruiser

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: medusa NY
Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"
Posts: 2,098
Re: Transit time? NY-FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by evm1024 View Post
Hey Scoobert, Your boat is documented I recall. Have you updated the documentation. I think you can get a hefty fine and be ordered to stop if you have not updated it.

USCG National Vessel Documentation Center, Home Page

Regards
Yes, all set.
They have temp certs now
__________________
scoobert is offline  
Old 05-11-2013, 11:15   #293
cruiser

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: medusa NY
Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"
Posts: 2,098
Re: Transit time? NY-FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFeather View Post
I'm so very sorry for your loss. As a parent, I can only imagine how painful this time must be. And I can also imagine what a relief it must be to embark on a journey that others think is careless but must seem to you and your family as a release and a desire to make the world different. Because for you, it will never be the same. Sometimes, you just have to do it.

Fair winds and safe journey.
Thanks
__________________
scoobert is offline  
Old 05-11-2013, 11:46   #294
Registered User
 
scgilligan's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Upstate SC, USA
Posts: 148
Re: Transit time? NY-FL

I have checked out the blog and hope you can keep it updated as you progress southward. I looked through the pics and the boat looks quite spacious (for a boat). I don't suppose you have an original brochure copy or something that shows the floor plan?
Good luck on the trip and I hope it does you well in trying to cope with the loss of your son..as if anything could.
__________________
scgilligan is offline  
Old 05-11-2013, 12:00   #295
cruiser

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: medusa NY
Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"
Posts: 2,098
Re: Transit time? NY-FL

We will keep the blog up to date. For sure.
And thanks

We have tried to contact tayana, with no luck. There were only 5 made.
__________________
scoobert is offline  
Old 07-11-2013, 19:11   #296
Registered User
 
Jolly Roger's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Titusville, Florida - for the moment
Boat: Down East 45, Brigantine
Posts: 944
Images: 1
Re: Transit time? NY-FL

Check this one folks.
Coast Guard, Navy seek four sailboats stranded in storms off Atlantic Coast - U.S. News
I wonder who they can be?
__________________
How to build a square rigger? Find out at https://schooner-britannia.com/index.html
Member: Boating Writers International.
Also pages of sailboat items for sale
Jolly Roger is offline  
Old 07-11-2013, 19:23   #297
Registered User
 
RedFeather's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: New York City/Mastic, NY USA
Boat: Watkins Sea Wolf 25
Posts: 100
Re: Transit time? NY-FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
Could Scoobert and escorts have traveled from Long Island to the area on the map in a day, two?
__________________
RedFeather
RedFeather is offline  
Old 07-11-2013, 20:01   #298
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 13,055
Re: Transit time? NY-FL

Have some empathy, Roger. USNews says the four vessels were stranded, which would suggest a major geological event, perhaps the largest undersea volcano ever to occur off the eastern US, as the cause.

A vessel can only be stranded when it is driven ashore, and with hundreds of miles of new land being pushed up out there, you can bet those poor sailors were taken unaware.

Unless USNews maybe picked the wrong word out of the random sailing hat?
__________________
hellosailor is offline  
Old 07-11-2013, 21:59   #299
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Hailing Minny, MN
Boat: Vancouver 27
Posts: 751
Images: 1
Re: Transit time? NY-FL

Giving him gruff earlier when he was planning a voyage outside the gulf stream was one thing, but it seems like he's reasonable enough to have taken the advice and replotted the course for the standard jaunt down the coast, ducking inside of Hatteras.

Give the guy a break, or at least constructive criticism.
__________________
laika is offline  
Old 07-11-2013, 22:03   #300
Registered User
 
RedFeather's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: New York City/Mastic, NY USA
Boat: Watkins Sea Wolf 25
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by laika View Post
Giving him gruff earlier when he was planning a voyage outside the gulf stream was one thing, but it seems like he's reasonable enough to have taken the advice and replotted the course for the standard jaunt down the coast, ducking inside of Hatteras.

Give the guy a break, or at least constructive criticism.
This. Not easy being in his shoes right about now.
__________________

__________________
RedFeather
RedFeather is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Have the time and boat in Nov - where to go from West Palm Beach FL? randomguy1981 Atlantic & the Caribbean 18 09-11-2014 23:46
What ship's Time do you Keep? sneuman Navigation 47 30-01-2013 14:30



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:07.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.