Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2013, 15:53   #151
cruiser

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: medusa NY
Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"
Posts: 2,098
Re: Transit time? NY-FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Bluntly, If you do, expect your wife to leave you, assuming she survives the trip.

i have explained the situation to her. i told her she has the say of stay out or stay in. i explained that we could get into 15' crashing seas. she wants to try staying out, and if it is too bad we will go in. of course when we bought the boat i explained how we may be rolled in the Tasman sea in 35' breaking waves....
we are not in the south pacific here, we are within towboatUS range of shore. frankly i think some of you are far too worried about coastal navigation. i mean i am not sailing into the Caribbean going to Africa in August.
__________________

__________________
scoobert is offline  
Old 22-09-2013, 15:58   #152
Senior Cruiser
 
Roy M's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Southwestern Yacht Club, San Diego, CA
Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Posts: 3,041
Images: 4
Re: Transit time? NY-FL

Oh, this is just too provocative! Where did I hide that Prozac?
__________________

__________________
Roy M is offline  
Old 22-09-2013, 16:03   #153
Registered User
 
Snore's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: St Petersburg
Boat: Tartan 33
Posts: 1,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
frankly i think some of you are far too worried about coastal navigation. i mean i am not sailing into the Caribbean going to Africa in August.

Based in that opinion there is no need for any further posts....
__________________
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline  
Old 22-09-2013, 16:05   #154
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 13,022
Re: Transit time? NY-FL

"if it is too bad we will go in."
See, that's what you don't seem to get.
You CANNOT SIMPLY GO IN.

There will be combinations of weather, equipment breakdowns, dangerous inlets, and distances that add up so that you may need 48 hours in order to make the next safe landfall. If you want to "go in" you can expect that it will take you 24 hours or longer in order to make landfall, often longer than that. Even if you are "nearshore".

There's no autopilot, like the B2. And no rest stops or shoulder to pull onto, like the truck. And meanwhile the ocean may be kicking you around like a mule while it is pelting you with rain that literally hurts your eyes. While this is happening, you can expect a total failure of all electrical systems, because even the best marine electronics tend to do that at the worst possible moment. And that's when the diesel will crap out (you have had the fuel tanks cleaned and the fuel polished, right?) and one of the sails jam. Now, if only one of you knows how to sail the boat and the other has to go below or on the foredeck to try fixing something...that's when life gets interesting.
__________________
hellosailor is offline  
Old 22-09-2013, 16:05   #155
Registered User
 
Stu Jackson's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cowichan Bay, BC (Maple Bay Marina)
Posts: 6,385
Re: Transit time? NY-FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post

...we are within towboatUS range of shore...
Most likely a foolish approach to safe passages.
__________________
Stu Jackson
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline  
Old 22-09-2013, 16:07   #156
cruiser

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: medusa NY
Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"
Posts: 2,098
Re: Transit time? NY-FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"if it is too bad we will go in."
See, that's what you don't seem to get.
You CANNOT SIMPLY GO IN.

There will be combinations of weather, equipment breakdowns, dangerous inlets, and distances that add up so that you may need 48 hours in order to make the next safe landfall. If you want to "go in" you can expect that it will take you 24 hours or longer in order to make landfall, often longer than that. Even if you are "nearshore".

There's no autopilot, like the B2. And no rest stops or shoulder to pull onto, like the truck. And meanwhile the ocean may be kicking you around like a mule while it is pelting you with rain that literally hurts your eyes. While this is happening, you can expect a total failure of all electrical systems, because even the best marine electronics tend to do that at the worst possible moment. And that's when the diesel will crap out (you have had the fuel tanks cleaned and the fuel polished, right?) and one of the sails jam. Now, if only one of you knows how to sail the boat and the other has to go below or on the foredeck to try fixing something...that's when life gets interesting.

the engine is solid, and the fuel has been addressed. worst scenario we drop the sails, close the hatch, and we motor in. the boat can be piloted from below.
__________________
scoobert is offline  
Old 22-09-2013, 16:08   #157
cruiser

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: medusa NY
Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"
Posts: 2,098
Re: Transit time? NY-FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Based in that opinion there is no need for any further posts....
then why post?
__________________
scoobert is offline  
Old 22-09-2013, 16:11   #158
Registered User
 
WebWench's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: VA, USA
Boat: S2-9.2 CC & IP40
Posts: 285
Re: Transit time? NY-FL

Scoobert, are you considering that the people that are trying to tell you just how dangerous it can be, may have actually been out there and experienced it?

I know that you have done a lot of reading about the issues and possibilities....have you also followed the loss of several ships lately....many with very experienced long term cruisers on board?

Do you have backup plans if your engine quits, your batteries go dead, of if you were to get hurt climbing on the deck to change out a jib? How much experience does your wife have in handling the boat if you were disabled? This is why, even experienced cruisers take extra crew along, when the go outside the ICW or to Bermuda.
None of us doubt that you have the drive and intelligence to be a good sailer but all of us have found that it is all the little things that we have learned with practice and experience that have taught us to be good and safe sailors.

I am hoping you can find the time to get some sailing practice in various conditions, before on embark on your voyage. Safety is often not about how big your boat is but by how much experience and practice you have had in handling emergencies.
__________________
WebWench is offline  
Old 22-09-2013, 16:20   #159
cruiser

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: medusa NY
Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"
Posts: 2,098
Re: Transit time? NY-FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebWench View Post
Scoobert, are you considering that the people that are trying to tell you just how dangerous it can be, may have actually been out there and experienced it?

I know that you have done a lot of reading about the issues and possibilities....have you also followed the loss of several ships lately....many with very experienced long term cruisers on board?

Do you have backup plans if your engine quits, your batteries go dead, of if you were to get hurt climbing on the deck to change out a jib? How much experience does your wife have in handling the boat if you were disabled? This is why, even experienced cruisers take extra crew along, when the go outside the ICW or to Bermuda.
None of us doubt that you have the drive and intelligence to be a good sailer but all of us have found that it is all the little things that we have learned with practice and experience that have taught us to be good and safe sailors.

I am hoping you can find the time to get some sailing practice in various conditions, before on embark on your voyage. Safety is often not about how big your boat is but by how much experience and practice you have had in handling emergencies.

day 1-3 will be training the wife to handle the boat.
at the end she may not be able to dock it, but she will be able to do a figure 8, tie knots, lift my fat butt from the water, lower the sails, start the engine, deploy the liferaft, call for help, and she will know where all the thruhulls are, and how to get the plug in them/close the valve. by the end of week 1 she will be able to sail. her intelligence is slightly above normal, and is a quick hands on learner. thats why i cannot give her a book on it, she will learn more the first week, then she would with 10 books on theory.
__________________
scoobert is offline  
Old 22-09-2013, 16:50   #160
cruiser

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: medusa NY
Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"
Posts: 2,098
Re: Transit time? NY-FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Your response to those honest and sincere posts was to dismiss a combined ten of thousands of miles of experience that urges caution as ---- alarmist.
i am cautious about the trip.
i am not taking the trip as a run up the Mohawk/erie canal.

its the ocean, and not to be taken lightly, i get that.
but anything past caution is dribble, and ... alarmist.
i enjoy risk, challenge, and excitement.
and when completed, i will be wiser for the trip.
i asked transit time, not "please tell me i am stupid for wanting to sail south in November in the ocean, with my 7 sea yacht"
__________________
scoobert is offline  
Old 22-09-2013, 16:59   #161
Moderator
 
Paul Elliott's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,857
Images: 4
Re: Transit time? NY-FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
i asked transit time, not "please tell me i am stupid for wanting to sail south in November in the ocean, with my 7 sea yacht"
Scoobert, that second one might have been the better post to make.

And three days is probably insufficient training for your wife, assuming the two of you make this trip with no other crew.

Like we said, we want you to succeed. We're not telling you this stuff to be mean.
__________________
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline  
Old 22-09-2013, 17:18   #162
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,188
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Transit time? NY-FL

Okay... going the Bermuda route will take you across the N wall of the Stream.... bit bumpy there with the cold Labrador and warm Gulf waters coming together... don't go trying to change sails... in fact when you set out have a 100% jib up there and save the others for if that gets shredded...
Sail past Bermuda at least 50 miles off before swinging round and approaching from the S... lots of reefs and nasty currents that will try and grab you in bad weather... personally I'd rather keep going running before the N'lies with full reefed main and the jib for power... but you or the wife may be ready for a break by then...
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline  
Old 22-09-2013, 17:29   #163
cruiser

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: medusa NY
Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"
Posts: 2,098
Re: Transit time? NY-FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
Scoobert, that second one might have been the better post to make.

And three days is probably insufficient training for your wife, assuming the two of you make this trip with no other crew.

Like we said, we want you to succeed. We're not telling you this stuff to be mean.

i don't assume meanness, i assume over caution. like cellphones at takeoff.

where would i find an unpaid crew, that knows how to sail, that wants to freeze, and be knocked about, and survive on cheezeits because its too brutal to cook?
__________________
scoobert is offline  
Old 22-09-2013, 17:34   #164
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,188
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Transit time? NY-FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
i don't assume meanness, i assume over caution. like cellphones at takeoff.

where would i find an unpaid crew, that knows how to sail, that wants to freeze, and be knocked about, and survive on cheezeits because its too brutal to cook?
Never been to brutal to boil a kettle... or heat up a ready meal... more a case of are you up to doing it rather than can it be done..
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline  
Old 22-09-2013, 17:41   #165
cruiser

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: medusa NY
Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"
Posts: 2,098
Re: Transit time? NY-FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Never been to brutal to boil a kettle... or heat up a ready meal... more a case of are you up to doing it rather than can it be done..
we are testing the freeze dried foods now.
i can cross icecream off the list, it is nasty.
crackers are a great carb source, and in a pinch, you could do a few weeks on just them. thats why we will have vacuum packed crackers on the yacht,
canned fruit, and we are still building this list
__________________

__________________
scoobert is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Have the time and boat in Nov - where to go from West Palm Beach FL? randomguy1981 Atlantic & the Caribbean 18 09-11-2014 23:46
What ship's Time do you Keep? sneuman Navigation 47 30-01-2013 14:30



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 21:49.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.