Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2014, 06:56   #16

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Transducer Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Olson View Post
The only ones are Signet. I wasn't able to make it down to the boat today, but I will tomorrow. Even if the new transducers are larger, I'm thinking I should be able to drill a new hole and install them fairly easily, since my boat is solid core. I'm planning on using 4200 and possibly 1/2" blocks of marine grade plywood as backing plates to provide extra support. Wish me luck!! haha
Signet made some different sized transducers. It is likely that yours are either 1.625", 1.875" or 2".

If the new ones are larger, then it is fairly easy to fit them. If they are smaller, then that will require some glasswork.

The 4200 is fine, but if you use wood backing plates, you should epoxy coat them.

You dropped a keel and reinstalled it in 20 minutes??!! How did you lift the boat? It would take me at least an hour just to undo the nuts and get things ready to lift, and probably another hour to put on sealant and align the bolts to have the hull set back down on them.

I don't see how the yard could possibly plan 6hrs for two thruhulls and 1hr to drop and reinstall a keel. Are you sure those quotes aren't backwards?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2014, 07:16   #17

Boat: Pearson 33

...and we are going to need more beer!
dugout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2014, 07:21   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Having just done this for 2 new install and 4 removals I would say that 6 hours is too much (mine was billed at 3).

You can reduce the hours by removing the old transducers (sawzall if needed) and making backing plates/fairings.

If you have an undersized hole that you want to enlarge you could fill the hole with six-ten epoxy. Let it harden over night then center drill the epoxy with your hole saw. The epoxy is only there to act as a guide for the hole saw. Other ways to do this but this is easy and gives a firm edge.

If you want to fill the hole and move the transducer elsewhere then you'll need to grind down and layer in come glass.

Regards
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men