Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-08-2006, 10:31   #16

I suspect 100s of McGregors have successfully cruised the Bahamas in the last 40 yrs. They watch the weather and cross in the same weather most of us do when taking a 30' ocean boat so I don't see crossing as a big dangerous deal. Once across, their ultra shoal draft is superior for gunk holes and dodging bad seas via short cuts on protected water. A Mac owner will never suffer lack of sleep from surge like the Cape Dory will. They are totally different boats meant for different applications IMHO.

Regardless, using a Toyota Landcruiser and 4wd Explorer I've towed and launched a Catalina 22, Catalina 25 and a McGregor 25 (all with extended tounges). There is NO comparision which is easier. The mac can be rigged and launched in one casual hr with two adults. The C25 was way more work all around and required better ramps (it's twice the weight of a mac 25 and about the same as the Cape Dory 25.

IMHO, Macs are big bang for the buck if you want to do a trailerable in the Bahamas.

Old 24-08-2006, 12:36   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

BBill wrote.
Quote:
A Mac owner will never suffer lack of sleep from surge like the Cape Dory will.
Huh? Ever been on a Cape Dory designed by Carl Alberg NOT the outboard powered 25, which I believe was designed by George Stadel. Apples and oranges. Narrow hull heavy deep full keel boat affected more by surge than a shallow draft light wide canoe hulled boat????? It's not been my observation from watching the other boats around me in the marina when a wake comes through.
Am I missing something? You know something that I don't? Do tell.

Old 24-08-2006, 22:35   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates
BBill wrote. Huh? Ever been on a Cape Dory designed by Carl Alberg NOT the outboard powered 25, which I believe was designed by George Stadel. Apples and oranges. Narrow hull heavy deep full keel boat affected more by surge than a shallow draft light wide canoe hulled boat????? It's not been my observation from watching the other boats around me in the marina when a wake comes through.
Am I missing something? You know something that I don't? Do tell.
I shall tell...Hull shape has nothing to do with it. A McGregor has 18" draft and the Cape Dory has 3' draft. The Mac can tuck in and get out of the surge 95% of the time. A 3' draft boat can't come close to getting out of surge prone anchorages like a Mac can. The Mac will cut across calm shoals (or anchor on them) that will make 3' draft sail miles around in open water. 18" draft will get into places like the inner lagoon at Little San Salvador and 3' draft stays outside and runs away when northers blow. A Mac can sail all of the creeks across Andros from east to west and 3' draft has to go around Andros. For every perfect 3' draft anchorage there are 50 perfect anchorages for 18" draft...it's that much difference. Draft is the deal, not hull shape.

Do you see said the blind man to the deaf man on the phone.
Old 26-08-2006, 07:10   #19

Boat: C&C 27
Seawards and Corsair

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtimes
I love the idea of those seawards, they look like a great and innovative design. I'd like to take a sail on one and see how they sail. They are really a "big" small boat w/ diesel engine, hot and cold water and so forth.

I also like the corsair, the idea of a nice fast passage across the gulf to the bahamas sounds great. But are they built for that type of work?
I have sailed neither the Seaward nor the Corsair. I looked at a Seaward when I purchased the C&C and kicked it off the shortlist due to a lack of headroom and it had an outboard. It is still sitting in the brokerage slip with a $13k price tag.

I also looked at the Corsair having learned on a cat and apprecitate multihull speed, but the price kept me away. They are fast enough to ski behind and have Pacific crossings to their credit. I have only looked at the F27.

Consider that if you really want a trailerable sailboat that the boat is only part of it. The boat, trailer and tow vehicle is a package. My math worked out that a boat in a slip was much cheaper than the whole tow package over the life of the truck loan. Best of luck.
Old 26-08-2006, 14:37   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Huh?

Bbill,

How does an anchored boat "cut in and out of the surge," as you say?

The context here is sleeping on a boat at anchor. Your litany of the merits of the Mac26 doesn't address this.

Perhaps you are confusing surge with swell, and are describing a boat underway. That would make your comments at least arguable, instead of non-sensical.
Old 26-08-2006, 19:41   #21

Boat: Island Yachts Peterson 34 GREYHAWK
How about a Paceship PY23, or her big sister the PY26.

Regards,
Catamount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2006, 12:20   #22

Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJeff
Bbill,

How does an anchored boat "cut in and out of the surge," as you say?

The context here is sleeping on a boat at anchor. Your litany of the merits of the Mac26 doesn't address this.

Perhaps you are confusing surge with swell, and are describing a boat underway. That would make your comments at least arguable, instead of non-sensical.
Arguable, non-sensical? That's funnier than a one armed wall paper hanger. No comments were necessary from you CaptainJeff. Nowhere was "cut in and out of the surge" said by me...nor was a Mac 26. To enlighten your misconceptions, the "context" of my post was about 18" draft VS 3' draft and the benefit of staying out of uncomfortable sea conditions...sailing or anchored. After multiple yrs cruising, liveaboard and dodging hurricanes in Florida, I have no confusion on the subject. 99% of the "surge" in any Bahamian anchorage is directly caused by "swells" wrapping their way in and bouncing boats around. With that said, your post is 100% inappropriate and inaccurate.

Webster sez...
Surge:
1 : to rise and fall actively : TOSS <a ship </I>surging in heavy seas</I>></I> </I>
2 : to rise and move in waves or billows : SWELL </I></I>
3 : to slip around a windlass, capstan, or bitts -- used especially of a rope</I> </I>
4 : to rise suddenly to an excessive or abnormal value <the stock market </I>surged to a record high</I>></I> </I>
5 : to move with a surge or in surges <felt the blood </I>surging into his face </I>-- Harry Hervey</I>></I>

L8TR
OH the horror of it all.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:45   #23

I know a one-armed painter... for real! This MacGregor looks to be a nice boat. How much does the whole boat/trailer weigh (dry). The short draft does seem like it would be nice to have to get into places. Is it as capable at crossings as a boat with a larger keel. Which is the safer boat? Sorry, new here.
Old 26-03-2007, 14:50   #24

Boat: Mila K
My family has a 28 foot Morgan that we sail each year around the Chicago waterfront weekends and sit on in the harbor weekdays (for 3K+ with winter storage another 1K+). On long weekends, we still sail Chicago 'cause 6 knots is still 6 knots and there is nothing all that interesting within range. I bought a new 26M because it sails down interstates at about 50 knots all day behind the car I would have to drive to the Chicago harbor and pay for parking and I am looking forward to long weekends in lots of new places. I find that people who want to share their opinion of the Macgregors with me, almost never want me to share mine with them.
Old 26-03-2007, 19:19   #25

I'm late in this discussion.
What are you planning for the tow vehicle?
Old 26-03-2007, 20:22   #26

This (Balboa 26) is a trailerable boat designed by Lyle Hess - who has a great pedigree when it comes to sturdy, offshore craft. There are not a huge number of them around, but they do come up for sale. I think this might be the boat that you are looking for.

YachtWorld.com Boats and Yachts for Sale=
Old 26-03-2007, 20:25   #27

Quote:
Which is the safer boat? Sorry, new here.
Definitely not the McGregor. They are lightly built, suitable for afternoons in the bay and marina-hopping on large lakes. They do a very good job of this. Hate to offend any Mac owners but I don't think anyone can disagree that they are more lightly built than the average boat...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: