Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2016, 21:02   #1126

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Tragedy Strikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
As one who is actually bothered, let me try:

* It has been repeatedly stated here that AIS is useful to avoid collisions. Folks say that they leave it on to avoid getting run over at anchor. Folks who say that the alarm went off, and they noticed the commercial vessel rapidly approaching from behind. So, there seems to be a consensus that AIS is a good thing.
* It has been inaccurately stated that stationary vessels do not trip AIS alarms. Perhaps some do filter out stationary vessels -- which, of course, defeats any value of broadcasting while stationary. On my Garmin 545, stationary vessels are one of my primary alarms (the boats that I pass within 100 feet of on the way out of my harbor all alarm).
* I recently was sailing close (100 yards or so) to another vessel that was going the same general direction -- and is the way with boats, the courses slightly wandered left and right. As his course would wander in my direction, the alarm would go off, and I would silence it. 2 or 3 minutes later, his course would wander slightly away from me, and the alarm would reset. Then, his course would wander my way again, and the alarm would go off. Lather, rinse, repeat.
* After 4 or 5 alarms in an hour (where each one, I'd look around, try and figure out which pleasure boat it is, laugh, and silence the alarm), I'd stop looking before hitting silence. After 4 or 5 more, I'd dig into the menus and turn off the alarm, and all would be good until the next time I turned on the GPS.
* Yes, I have a poor choice in equipment. A relatively recent Garmin GPS (their answer to my email about filtering out Class B, filtering out stationary targets, or permanently disabling alarms was "no, that's not an option") and a brand new B&G VHF/AIS (their answer to my email about filtering out Class B was "sorry, try your chart plotter vendor."). Since I didn't win PowerBall, it's what I'm stuck with for at least a few more years. When the AIS and Chartplotter get too long in the tooth, I'll buy one with more control over the alarms.

My solution is to do what I've done for 40 years -- disable AIS and keep my eyes open. Without Class B, and without anchored boats, I'd have added a little bit of safety, which is nice. But "alarm fatigue" sets in fast.

I've just gone and looked at your question again, and you're looking for someone who is actually bothered by the alarms. I guess that isn't me -- they no longer bother me! Of course, I'm also no longer distracted by AIS at all.
Harry
Harry, with respect, I think the main problem you're having is how you're using your alarms.

AIS alarms are not useful in harbors, approaches, or coastal areas where vessels are turning while maneuvering in fairways or channels -- you will get more false alarms, than meaningful ones, and filtering can't change that. AIS alarms only tell you something useful when you are on a steady course, and vessels around you are also on steady courses. Just switch AIS alarms off completely in such situations; forget about filters. All AIS displays I have seen will indicate VISUALLY when certain CPA and TCPA thresholds are crossed -- on my B&G system, such targets are bolded. That visual indication is all you need in busy inshore waters, because you need to be watching continuously anyway.

By watching the display, you will see that that ship up there is following a channel, which you are avoiding, and the fact that it is momentarily heading straight forward is meaningless. By watching the display, you will also see immediately which targets are matters of concern. Make sure your display is set to bold or change the color of targets, and tweak the CPA and TCPA thresholds until you get the kind of response you want. You will need to reset these when you get offshore, by the way.

Use your AIS alarms offshore and in open water where you are not watching the radar or plotter screen constantly.

If you're still not happy, then I suggest you try OpenCPN, which has the most powerful and flexible AIS display I've ever seen. I don't know about filtration, as I've never been interested in that, but you can do everything at least I've ever wanted to do. OpenCPN displays arrows to show when a target is turning, which is extremely useful, and it will also display the geometry of a crossing with another vessel -- where both vessels will be at CPA and their bearings to each other -- which is very useful when planning a collision avoidance maneuver. And if you are on a budget -- OpenCPN is completely free.

Good luck and let us know how you get on. Probably good idea to start a separate thread on this if you want to discuss more.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 05:09   #1127

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
As one who is actually bothered, let me try:

* It has been repeatedly stated here that AIS is useful to avoid collisions. Folks say that they leave it on to avoid getting run over at anchor. Folks who say that the alarm went off, and they noticed the commercial vessel rapidly approaching from behind. So, there seems to be a consensus that AIS is a good thing.
* It has been inaccurately stated that stationary vessels do not trip AIS alarms. Perhaps some do filter out stationary vessels -- which, of course, defeats any value of broadcasting while stationary. On my Garmin 545, stationary vessels are one of my primary alarms (the boats that I pass within 100 feet of on the way out of my harbor all alarm).
* I recently was sailing close (100 yards or so) to another vessel that was going the same general direction -- and is the way with boats, the courses slightly wandered left and right. As his course would wander in my direction, the alarm would go off, and I would silence it. 2 or 3 minutes later, his course would wander slightly away from me, and the alarm would reset. Then, his course would wander my way again, and the alarm would go off. Lather, rinse, repeat.
* After 4 or 5 alarms in an hour (where each one, I'd look around, try and figure out which pleasure boat it is, laugh, and silence the alarm), I'd stop looking before hitting silence. After 4 or 5 more, I'd dig into the menus and turn off the alarm, and all would be good until the next time I turned on the GPS.
* Yes, I have a poor choice in equipment. A relatively recent Garmin GPS (their answer to my email about filtering out Class B, filtering out stationary targets, or permanently disabling alarms was "no, that's not an option") and a brand new B&G VHF/AIS (their answer to my email about filtering out Class B was "sorry, try your chart plotter vendor."). Since I didn't win PowerBall, it's what I'm stuck with for at least a few more years. When the AIS and Chartplotter get too long in the tooth, I'll buy one with more control over the alarms.

My solution is to do what I've done for 40 years -- disable AIS and keep my eyes open. Without Class B, and without anchored boats, I'd have added a little bit of safety, which is nice. But "alarm fatigue" sets in fast.

I've just gone and looked at your question again, and you're looking for someone who is actually bothered by the alarms. I guess that isn't me -- they no longer bother me! Of course, I'm also no longer distracted by AIS at all.
Harry
In aviation we have had something very similar to AIS for about 20 years. It's called TCAS and is an extremely valuable tool, providing warning of conflicts and improving everyone's situational awareness, but it has to be used properly. Since traffic movement is controlled and much more organized (than in boating) in busy areas near airports (harbors), we can usually leave it turned on so it will warn us in case either we or another pilot or a controller screws up so a conflict exists, but at some airports where there are closely parallel approaches, we turn off the alarm feature to avoid triggering a spurious alarm. But the need to do that is very rare. The point is that it's a very useful tool in SOME circumstances but can be an annoyance and a distraction in others. It's up to you to use the information it provides properly.

Of course AIS alarms will be annoying in a busy anchorage where there are lots of other boats turning in close proximity to each other, and in those conditions, hopefully nobody is looking at their chart plotter very much anyway, so turn it off and (as we say in aviation) "look out the window" to remain clear of other vessels. In a remote anchorage with few other boats around, but the chance of boats moving through the area, turn it on to provide one more way for your presence to be detected by others. When you are out sailing on a nice day in near coastal areas, with many other boats turning and tacking randomly, once again, keep yourself clear of other vessels the old fashioned way, by constantly keeping your head on a swivel and following the established protocols. Use or don't use your AIS as you see fit depending on your own preference. When underway, especially when traveling longer distances, or offshore or in restricted visibility, AIS can be a tremendous tool to provide a warning of potential conflicts sooner than they might otherwise be detected visually. Sure, it's a great tool, but like any other tool, you have to use it appropriately.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 06:34   #1128
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Erict3 View Post
Lin and Larry Pardey are known to have to be towed into some ports due to not having an engine. I'm guessing the wait for tow was not always short.

Those litigious individuals hoping to use AIS for lawsuits might investigate DGPS.

It's the cure for selective availability.

Probably the only thing Bill Clinton ever did that I agreed with was turn off SA, it's been off for that long, but of course can be re-enabled.
There are a few forms of DGPS, the Satellite based one can of course be turned off, the land, tower based one, I believe is going away, and unlikely we have the required equipment to use them anyway
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 06:55   #1129
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Not a Cigar fan?
Old 15-01-2016, 07:04   #1130

If I read correctly in the Electronics forum, newer radios with DSC can be pinged to return their GPS determined lat/long. Provided you have the MMSI for the radio. One cruiser mentioned carrying the handheld around while onshore enabled them to ping the fixed onboard radio to check on the boats position while anchored. I'm parroting this stuff, no working knowledge contained between ears, so please correct as needed. It struck me that this arrangement would have helped locate Dagny immediately after she was noticed missing, or later on if used by other boats near the drift route. Or am I lost on this ability/function? I'm radio shopping for next summer, needing both a fixed and a handheld, hence my interest in what seems to be a bonus aspect of a DSC capable radio. Tx.
Dymaxion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 07:31   #1131
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Not a Cigar fan?
You know, just about everything that guy did or said, went completely against my personal beliefs
I guess it depends on what your definition of the word is, is

It astonishes me that many still hold him in high regard
Old 15-01-2016, 07:34   #1132
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dymaxion View Post
If I read correctly in the Electronics forum, newer radios with DSC can be pinged to return their GPS determined lat/long. Provided you have the MMSI for the radio. One cruiser mentioned carrying the handheld around while onshore enabled them to ping the fixed onboard radio to check on the boats position while anchored. I'm parroting this stuff, no working knowledge contained between ears, so please correct as needed. It struck me that this arrangement would have helped locate Dagny immediately after she was noticed missing, or later on if used by other boats near the drift route. Or am I lost on this ability/function? I'm radio shopping for next summer, needing both a fixed and a handheld, hence my interest in what seems to be a bonus aspect of a DSC capable radio. Tx.

I think you are exactly correct, and that has been discussed here to include his MMSI being published and requesting people who are out there to ping it on a long shot.

But this is such a huge thread I can see why you missed it. Many of us, I include myself in that, don't really understand how to use DSC and there is a thread on that trying to teach us Neanderthals
Old 15-01-2016, 07:44   #1133
Marine Service Provider

There was an interesting story I saw that Reagan had a 48% approval rating when he left office. Yet he's some type of modern folk hero to some. I think Clinton was somewhere in the 50s when he left. Obama and Reagan are basically tied at this point.
Old 15-01-2016, 07:48   #1134
Marine Service Provider

Ok, on to VHFs.

I have a DSC VHF but with no built in GPS. So it does interface,my it only when chart plotter is on. I sometimes leave the VHF on anchor but never the GPS.

I also have a handheld DSC VHF so maybe I will try it out when I get back to the boat. Would be sorta limited in usage, but nice in places like say Palmerston Atoll where it's a long way to drag if your anchor slips off the reef shelf and you are sorta ashore for an undefined period of time by you island "hosts" as they pick you up and return you.
Old 15-01-2016, 07:54   #1135
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Not gonna work on any Atoll maybe, but I have an anchor alarm App that will send me an email if the anchor alarm zone is breached, and it will show you on a map the current location of the boat. Requires two phones of course or some other internet access, one to leave on the boat to run the app and another device with internet connection.
Then if you have an Iphone, there is of course the find my phone app. Obviously the phone has to be on the boat.
DSC, AIS and the Satellite trackers have been discussed on this thread, all might have worked if they were available.
Old 15-01-2016, 08:45   #1136
Marine Service Provider

I'm one of these old timey fiscal conservatives so I don't have all that flash (soon obsolete and unrepairable) gear. Bought the AIS VHF on eBay and the handheld for $50 over the Georgetown VHF net. Don't think my $9.95 Tracphone is gonna handle those anchor apps. No service in the S Pacific anyway.
Old 15-01-2016, 08:49   #1137
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Your right, but for those of us that both our wives and us have a phone and we can't yet cruise SoPac (that is my dream by the way, I envy you) $5 or so for an app isn't all that bad. App was free, remote monitoring is what cost the $5.
Old 15-01-2016, 08:59   #1138

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

If you don't have the GPS input to the VHF turned on, you will not get a boat position when you poll it from a HH.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 09:10   #1139
Marine Service Provider

Yes, I will have to try it with it on. I am thinking of seeing if I can get a puck GPS to attach to the radio.

Is actually a good example of me being a bit too cheap and buying the older model radio with AIS, but no GPS. Not entirely my fault and the first AIS VHF came out in about 2007. Also with GPS, but not together. I asked Standard Horizon why you couldn't have both at the Miami boat show and they claimed FCC rules would not allow it.

So when I bought this radio a few years ago I assumed that no GPS/AIS combo was available. Of course I could just buy another new Chinese radio. Probably the original marketing plan all along.
Old 15-01-2016, 09:13   #1140
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Your right, but for those of us that both our wives and us have a phone and we can't yet cruise SoPac (that is my dream by the way, I envy you) $5 or so for an app isn't all that bad. App was free, remote monitoring is what cost the $5.
It was a bit hard to overcome life's enertia in 2004 to depart for Panama Canal. Proving to be even harder with 2 kids, but I hope to be in Musket Cove Fiji in Oct 2017 for my 40th birthday.

Rafael Cruzs election could actually provide a significant catalyst.