Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2016, 19:27   #1021

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.
Re: Tragedy Strikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
I'm certainly not one to question your recalcitrance but I do question your use of the strobe for non-emergency purposes. Of course I realize that things may be different where you sail, but here in the US if I saw an anchored boat with a strobe on, I would attempt to call that boat on the vhf radio to see what was wrong and if I could help, and if no answer, I would approach the boat in my own boat or in my dinghy to see if help was needed. I'd be worried about someone aboard possibly with an injury or medical issue, or maybe they're below pumping furiously or trying to stop a leak or a fire? If I couldn't see anyone or raise anyone aboard the boat, I'd call the local harbormaster and/or Coast Guard so they could check out the boat. I'd do the same for any boat that seemed to be indicating they were in distress of some kind and I'd assume that there would be others in most harbors who would be doing the same sort of things in response to a strobe. Seems like a lot of trouble for a lot of people to go to just because someone decided to use a strobe while ashore to make their boat easier to find rather than to signal distress.
Thanks for your post. The concept of strobe, in NSW on the few occasions where I've done it, is totally different to US federal waters.
When I've used the strobe I have been in somewhat isolated locations where there were NO other vessels anchored or moored and there were never any residences, only mountainous backdrops from most angles of view.
Reading that sentence and my previous posts, it is clear that finding my boat was not the reason. The reason was to draw to the attention of drunk skippers that there was a vessel where one usually isn't and that I may not be able to get back on the same day
My anchor light has ten vertical rows of five led's but from some angles it blends into backgroung shore lights.

Even a police boat, passing from say a mile wouldn't bother investigating my flashing light.

I appreciate and welcome you attitude.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 20:13   #1022
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlara 3 View Post
When I've used the strobe I have been in somewhat isolated locations where there were NO other vessels anchored or moored and there were never any residences, only mountainous backdrops from most angles of view.
My anchor light has ten vertical rows of five led's but from some angles it blends into backgroung shore lights.
What an incredible example of logic.

If there isn't anything there then there are no lights, there is NO reason not to use your anchor lights instead of a strobe!

Quote:
Even a police boat, passing from say a mile wouldn't bother investigating my flashing light.
Wow I guess that makes it right!

Unsubscibe and blocking brianlara 3 for a lot of reasons. Urge others the same.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 20:14   #1023

Boat: Bristol 29

Quote:
I guess bieng a physicist doesn't necessarily qualify one for possession of propriety or social standing....yes and you have many CF friends too.

Jim, in the past I have accused you of being juvenile and at times other things too but today you've surpassed your previous lows.

And with your memory satisfied today is pay back day.

You don't know me and you never will but there are many here in Australia and in other contries (incl nsw water police and nsw maritime) who know that if there is one thing that
Brian Metcalfe is NOT....then that thing is recalcitrant.
Moreover, I probably goe to the aid of others, call maritime or water police, MORE than any othwr vessel in nsw waters.
Because you are qualified to be the judge of nobody it is pathetic that I attempt to defend myself to you....o f a l l people.

I once worked a man called Ted. Ted was an angry man of modest physical stature.

Is there an " old boys club " thing at play here Jim?

What a pompous ass.
Sun and Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 20:43   #1024
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
……..

Really, I find this most surprising - maybe a NSW thing .

All modern EPRIB's and PLBs incorporate a strobe these days so any strobe seen could represent someone in the water…. I reckon the coppers might have a closer look.

FWIW, I'm on a first name basis with some of the maritime rescue folk further south than NSW, and when I popped this concept of of ignoring a strobe out on the water, they were incredulous - to say the least

Anyway, you probably know your local waters better than me so perhaps things are different elsewhere.

As to the Aussie situation re strobes, the following is taken directly from Marine Order 30, 2009.

Rule 36
Signals to attract attention
If necessary to attract the attention of another vessel any vessel may make light or sound signals that cannot be mistaken for any signal authorized elsewhere in these Rules, or may direct the beam of her searchlight in the direction of the danger, in such a way as not to embarrass any vessel. Any light to attract the attention of another vessel shall be such that it cannot be mistaken for any aid to navigation. For the purpose of this Rule the use of high intensity intermittent or revolving lights, such as strobe lights, shall be avoided.

Note, it says "shall" not "may"
You read more here https://www.amsa.gov.au/vessels/stan...mp-130729Z.pdf
Rule 36 is on page 26.

Of course, I don't care what you do but my strobe would only ever be turned on to either test it (for a second or so - in the day) or as a absolute last resort to highlight my presence.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 20:53   #1025

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Quote:

Is there an " old boys club " thing at play here Jim?

Not so much an old boys club as that the Cates have been helpful time and again, over their many years on CF, to both experienced cruisers and new ones (like myself). From multiple threads, it appears to me that you overreact to almost anything Jim says, and it rubs the wrong way to have to read through your diatribes (barring your excellent contributions on another thread about those poor power boaters out of Tasmania).

There was a recent thread on CF members who have left, and I think quite a few just get tired of the crap. For whatever it's worth, Jim, thanks for all of the well thought-out and sound advice you and Ann have provided. And Brian, please just stop with all this personal indignation.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 21:37   #1026

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Thank you for the kind words, brownoarsman.

Brian, if you click on CP, your subscribed threads will be shown. Under their titles, there is the word "unsubscribe". If you click on that, it will stop being displayed there. Beyond that, I've never needed the "ignore" button, and I don't know how to use it.

Ann
Old 12-01-2016, 21:46   #1027

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

The COLREGS have very specific rules on navigation lighting for good reason and the marine orders will reflect these. Having said that, a boat moored near us has been displaying a flashing amber light since forever and doesn't seem to draw any attention from the authorities. Worse case scenario, I guess, is that he gets mistaken for an isolated danger mark which is not too bad in itself although if a vessel mistook it for another actual nearby isolated mark it could cause it to crash into an adjacent unlit (legally) moored vessel.

From personal experience masthead anchor lights can easily go unnoticed, especially those of the "starlight blue" led variety. Lights closer to deck level are immeasurably better, I think. However, an alert system that triggered a masthead strobe when a vessel hads drifted off anchor could possibly be quite handy and not difficult to implement.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 21:53   #1028
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
..... Beyond that, I've never needed the "ignore" button, and I don't know how to use it.

Ann
You can find an Ignore Manager on the LHS of your CP, about 3/4 way down the list; but like you I haven't had reason yet to use it. Maybe this will change
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 22:04   #1029

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Brian, Ignore is super easy.

Step 1 - Put down your Jack Sparrow action figure.
Step 2 - Click on the member's name next to any of their posts and click on the last option in the pop down list.

Your welcome.
Old 12-01-2016, 23:20   #1030

I think it would be better for everyone if he just followed the computer's power cord to the wall and yanked it out.

Problem solved.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 06:18   #1031

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Thanks for your post. The concept of strobe, in NSW on the few occasions where I've done it, is totally different to US federal waters.
Reading that sentence and my previous posts, it is clear that finding my boat was not the reason. The reason was to draw to the attention of drunk skippers that there was a vessel where one usually isn't and that I may not be able to get back on the same day

Seriously, how many "drunk skippers" do you normally find in areas where there are "only mountainous backdrops" and no other vessels moored or anchored nearby? Why do drunk skippers frequent these rather remote areas and how did you find out about them?

But, drunk skippers frequenting the area or not, I do agree that a tiny anchor light at the top of your mast can be easily missed by even sober skippers or slightly complacent skippers or distracted skippers or pretty much any of us if we aren't expecting an anchored boat in that area, but a better solution than a strobe might be a steady light down closer to eye level. Some folks hang a second anchor light from the rigging down nearer the foredeck but I prefer to simply leave on my LED dome light that's inside my bimini, and my reason for preferring that is because a light on the foredeck is just another spot of light suspended in space and can more easily be mistaken for a star or a faraway light on land, but my dome light illuminates my whole cockpit so anyone approaching my boat sees a lit up structure (dodger, winches, inside of bimini and its supports, steering pedestal and wheel) not just a point of light suspended in space. Another reason I prefer using my cockpit dome light is because it's already there so I don't have to remember to go forward and rig a second light and I'm never tempted to not go to the trouble "just this once." As I pass through the cockpit to go ashore when I might not get back until after dark, I simply reach up to turn it on, and when I return, besides making it a little easier to find my own boat, it also makes it easier to get back aboard without tripping over a winch or something because my cockpit is already lit up when I arrive. When I'm moored, I don't use my anchor light but I do leave on that dome light in my cockpit so my cockpit is almost always lit up at night, but since it's a LED, the power is uses is negligible. Maybe you could consider installing a multi-use light in your cockpit that you could leave on that would serve the same purpose as your strobe, plus provide other benefits to you when you're aboard?
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 06:24   #1032

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Unsubscibe and blocking brianlara 3 for a lot of reasons. Urge others the same.
Eventho this thread is about a lot of things except Gils' boat, I will keep my subscription in case there's ever an on-topic post with news about the search or a request for help I can actually assist with.

I did put Brianlara on the Ignore list, sadly.
Old 13-01-2016, 06:44   #1033
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

We do the same with the cockpit light/no masthead anchor light. I did install a mickeymouse anchor/tricolour/strobe auto on at dusk masthead light, primarily as backup Nav lights and the auto feature. After using it for 12 months something shorted and the anchor light started strobing after it had been on a few hours. I hadn't even connected the strobe feature but having a strobe light at anchor was pretty embarrassing for me. I'm not really into flagrant disregard of colregs, especially in such a visible way I think a trip up the mast will sort out the cut strobe wire from shorting but we will likely continue with the cockpit light for better visibility and security anyway.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 07:03   #1034

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
Eventho this thread is about a lot of things except Gils' boat, I will keep my subscription in case there's ever an on-topic post with news about the search or a request for help I can actually assist with.

I did put Brianlara on the Ignore list, sadly.
Why is it "sadly?" It's obviously not going to make you sad to not read his opinions or you wouldn't have done it, and if you hadn't just announced it he wouldn't even have ever known so he's not going to be sad. I'm not sad and I doubt whether anyone else cares who you ignore either. So, who is sad about you ignoring him?

I think the ignore feature is a great thing for a forum like this because it allows us to discretely not see the posts of someone we find to be annoying and that helps keep all our blood pressures at comfortable levels. Instead of telling someone you find to be obnoxious to "shut up(!)" you just magically don't hear them any more. But then when you announce to them and everyone else that you are ignoring someone, you are using it not just to avoid their posts, but also to insult them and let it be known that you don't find their views worthwhile. Why bother to tell them that? Why not just "ignore" quietly like you would in the real world if someone annoyed you? If someone is obnoxious enough that everyone makes their own individual choice to ignore them, they will cease to be part of the conversations that go on here and at that point, out of boredom would probably go find somewhere else to spend their time. Publicly announcing that you are "ignoring" someone seems like such a passive-aggressive thing to do. Why not just do it and let it go at that?
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 07:09   #1035
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

...so you mean you don't carry a little sign like this in your pocket for social affairs JT?

Name:   ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1452697748.208371.jpg
Views: 657
Size:  15.5 KB
monte is offline   Reply With Quote