Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2016, 07:23   #706

Boat: Ohlson 29
Re: Tragedy Strikes.

There is no way to win the "my opinion matters more because" contest, nor the "I am more right then you are because" variant. Can't we just move on?

Moving on being: those that feel the need to help Gil in whatever way do so, and those who don't, don't. It really is that simple.

Gil hasn't asked for any help, he just posted what happened to him. Nothing more, nothing less.
Since there is no way to fact check it all now, you either believe him or you don't - no way to know for sure so no point in arguing about it.

People who want to help him aren't any better then those who don't. Not a "most helpful cruiser contest" either. We all do what we can when it feels right to us, and as far as I'm concerned that's all good.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:07   #707

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
I too want to keep this thread about Gil. If there is enough interest in this subject, i would be happy to start a different thread.
SVBeth,
I think there have been many minor diversions on this thread and this is certainly part and parcel of a natural, intelligent, free-flowing discussion. However, my request is not a diversion nor am I expressing interest in a separate thread, but rather a simple mono/dual syllabic answer that needs no further discussion: what size sculling oar do you use for your 40 foot Valiant that you mentioned in a previous post ( 10, 15, 20, 25, 30)? I think there are undoubtedly others on this forum, besides myself, that would be interested in your informative answer. Thanks, Rognvald
Old 02-01-2016, 08:28   #708
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
SVBeth,
I think there have been many minor diversions on this thread and this is certainly part and parcel of a natural, intelligent, free-flowing discussion. However, my request is not a diversion nor am I expressing interest in a separate thread, but rather a simple mono/dual syllabic answer that needs no further discussion: what size sculling oar do you use for your 40 foot Valiant that you mentioned in a previous post ( 10, 15, 20, 25, 30)? I think there are undoubtedly others on this forum, besides myself, that would be interested in your informative answer. Thanks, Rognvald
Rog, the rule of thumb is twice the beam for each oar. My oars are not that long, and therefore I am hesitant to recommend them. Remember that the longer the oar, the narrower the sweep. I also sweep from the end of the cockpit, standing up. If you go to my pictures, I have a pair of oars on the deck there that I made. They work for me in emergencies.
And if you look at the thread I just started, I am going to try a Yuloh. Just have one oar, that would break down to be stored sounds like an idea backup. Come over and join the discussion, I think Gil has had enough of advice.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 08:34   #709

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Rog, the rule of thumb is the beam for each oar. That is what I use. There, that applies to every boat. Remember that the longer the oar, the narrower the sweep.
Thanks, Beth? How long is your sculling oar?
Old 02-01-2016, 09:08   #710

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
Since you asked, I'll respond. The advantage is the POSSIBILITY of actually (even after dark) finding your LOST BOAT, as opposed to NOT SEARCHING after dark. Not sure if I can spell that out for you any clearer. Now think to yourself for one minute. If you lost ALL your "reported" possessions (sans computer and the clothes on your back, and $100? in your pocket), would you be frantic? I certainly would. Any reasonable person would. It's a given state of the human condition. Any alternative, i.e., posting a tragedy story on the CF or writing prose about flying fish, wouldn't even enter my mind. And I doubt that it would enter yours. I wouldn't sleep till I found my boat. I'm not a detective, yet if I were, my first thought would be "Insurance, perhaps?"
As I read it, he spent a couple hours in his dinghy and another couple hours in a local fisherman's boat, searching the immediate vicinity right after Dagny went missing - well past sunset. At that point he had no idea that Dagny hadn't been stolen, or had possibly sunk. After 4 or 5 hours Dagny could have been 20 miles away, or up one of the canals. By then the search area was huge and becoming exponentially larger. And driving around at night in a small open boat in the open ocean with less-than-benign conditions, would be unnecessarily risking his life and that of the fishermen. Even if it was almost all the "stuff" he owns, would it be worth his life?

It's been 10 days now - would you really go without sleep for that long?

And would you really be thinking about insurance if you had none? While I was always insured, I've met plenty of cruisers who don't have insurance - it's not uncommon.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:21   #711
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

The most impressive thing I've read on this thread was Keith Cooper and Gil going out for ten hours to try and locate the boat based on estimated coordinates. Low probability, but admirable and impressive.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:50   #712
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

^^^^^^^^

For the record Gil is NOT stranded in The Bahamas. For $73 he could be on a ferry back to the US where hotels, food and transport are cheaper. I provided that info several pages ago.

At this point it would appear he is ELECTING to stay in The Bahamas.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:05   #713

Boat: Havsfidra 20

Hello,

Some here seem to think that I have not done enough to find Dagny. When I first discovered that she was gone I went to look for her in my dinghy, as far as I dared with a 7'9" inflatable and a 2.5hp motor without much gas in the tank. I then found a boat with a radar and asked the owner to check it. Then I frantically looked for a power boat and found one. We searched for a couple hours, but probably too far West. That same night I alerted the USCG and the local police. I slept in the marina lobby that night. On the third day Keith Cooper took me on his 20' Mako almost sixty miles out, we were out for ten hours. It was a rough ride. I couldn't believe it.

Resources here in West-End are limited. It's nothing like the United States. There is NOTHING here but a resort and marina. My only tool is my laptop, and Internet is not always available. I have put the word out hoping for sightings. I am not going to beg for favors, as much as I appreciate the help, I don't want to cause anyone major inconveniences or worst.

My concern now is to find Dagny and secure her somewhere. Once she is safely docked there will be many options. I can do nothing more from here than sharing the information, as I have been doing. Glenn from the SSCA is doing a great job and I will be forever indebted to him. I am new at this and do not know about all the resources available.

I am certainly not relenting the search or my efforts. I am doing as much as I can with the resources at my disposal. Some people think they could do better, and that may be true, but they are not here in the same situation.

If Dagny isn't sighted within days, I will be flying back to France. I have not seen my parents in a few years and they are getting older, certainly much worried now. I ought to visit them and continue the search from there. I can get back to Dagny if she is found, even if it takes me a few weeks to save up for a new plane ticket. I almost have enough for a one-way to Brussels now. They live right across the Belgian border, on the French side. I know I would appreciate my family just about now...

Dagny is all I had. All my possessions were on board. But she is not just a boat. She was/is the key to a long time dream. Until someone sees her, there isn't much to do unfortunately. With her flush deck and slender profile, I know she is difficult to spot. Still I am hoping she is safe and will be found.

Gil.
gilgsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:11   #714

Quote:
For $73 he could be on a ferry back to the US where hotels, food and transport are cheaper.
Yes, not that much cheaper, but I thank you for the information. While I have friends on the Florida West Coast, my family is in France, and I am leaning in that direction now. I first hoped Dagny would be found still in the Bahamas, but it is very unlikely now. My lodging expenses in France would be zero, at least for a few weeks. There is no telling how long it will take for Dagny to be spotted, if ever.

Gil.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:21   #715
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Thanks for the update, Gil.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:45   #716

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
...Gil hasn't asked for any help...
Let's stick to the truth.

If Gil's 1st post was not a plea for help, I'll eat my shorts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgsn View Post
Tragedy Strikes... I am stranded in West-End with nothing but the clothes on my back and my computer bag. They're letting me sleep in the gym tonight, no idea about tomorrow. Needless to say I am devastated, numb, incredulous.

Gil.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:52   #717

Boat: Ohlson 29

I didn't take that as a plea for help, to be honest, just a guy posting about a crappy situation he might have been able to change himself given a little time.

If I found myself in that situation, I'd need a couple of days to access my "FUBAR emergency funds"
Old 02-01-2016, 11:35   #718

Part of the purpose of this forum is to share our cruising experiences. Given the interest in this thread, I'd say it qualifies. In spades.
WindwardPrinces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 11:38   #719

Quote:
Of course. I was hoping to spread the information so people would keep their eyes open and if Dagny was spotted, there was a chance they would know where to report it, on top of the USCG.

Gil.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:55   #720
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post

Let me guess....big baggy Bermuda Shorts!

Time for a musical interlude and a laugh, while Gil contemplates a difficult decision.....

We all need both on a regular basis

https://youtu.be/RsVlQ1jLdrE
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote