Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2015, 12:13   #616

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Re: Tragedy Strikes.

Another
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	115966  
Old 31-12-2015, 12:14   #617

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

And one more
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	115967  
Old 31-12-2015, 12:15   #618

Boat: Rafiki 37

DSC is great, but not very intuitive. I had to read the manual a bunch on mine to figure it out.

I've been getting others from the marina to use it when we go out at the same time and have swapped MMSI numbers, it's pretty cool
Old 31-12-2015, 12:16   #619

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Pretty little boat.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 12:17   #620

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlechay View Post
Almost. By default manual response is required, at least on all the sets I've played with, so the settings would have to be changed to allow automatic responses.

For what it's worth I've never got a response to a position request. Yes I know it works because I tested with another boat

--
Tweed's World | A high latitude sailor preparing for tropical cruising

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Yes. Need to enable the auto-location feature for Dockhead's suggestion to work.

DSC is a great thing, but I can't use it routinely because there is never anyone on the other end who has it set up and knows how to use it.
The Smokester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 12:18   #621

Boat: Havsfidra 20

Hello Everyone,

I am still in West-End, though probably not for much longer. Nassau would be a better option with airlines availability. I just can't afford West-End, but Nassau probably isn't any better. If I could find a boat sitting gig or a cheap room to rent, that would solve the problem. I did get one offer from a catamaran owner to sail with his family for a while and will email him today. I just hate to intrude on someone's vacation, but if I can be useful with watches, boat chores and what not, that would be a fair trade. No culinary abilities on my end unfortunately GoingWalkabout, though I like baking cakes occasionally.. He is supposed to cross for the Bahamas on the 2nd. That would buy me time to save up enough for a plane ticket out of the Bahamas, I am almost there.

Quote:
Something to consider, is a small motor for the dinghy: with that, you can hip tie the dinghy with the o/b running, and use that propulsion to move the mother boat to the marina, etc.
I did try to tow Dagny with my dinghy and its 2.5HP motor. It did not work. Dagny was towing me..

Since my electrical problem, I had wired the VHF directly to the battery, but I am pretty sure (though not 100%) I turned it off before going ashore. The MMSI number is on my site, on the contact page. The radio is a GX2200.

If Dagny is spotted and someone was willing to sail her back for fun from nearby, that would indeed be the best option ever. I certainly would compensate them the best I can. The hatch is locked, I have the key with me, which I could mail somewhere. Flying anywhere from Nassau isn't cheap. Everything in the Bahamas, well, except fish, seems to cost twice as much.

Thanks again everyone and a happy new year.

Gil.
gilgsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 12:22   #622

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
Actually, in the area where Gil anchored (south of the channel) AC says the holding ranges from "excellent" ("Ginn Sur Mer") to "average" ("West of West End"). The Explorer charts are silent. Since I didn't actually see the boat while it was anchored (arrived the next day), can't say for sure which of the two spots he was closer to.
That doesn't jive with what others have said. Wonder why?
Makes theft look more like a possibility.
Did anyone actually see his boat anchored there?
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 12:23   #623

Ya, if the dinghy is also gone too, I'm pretty sure the boat is not adrift. Somebody stole it. I would check the other side of the island.
TallCotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 12:24   #624

Here is a photo after the deck painting.

Untitled by Gil Photomaker, on Flickr

Untitled by Gil Photomaker, on Flickr
Old 31-12-2015, 12:27   #625
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
That doesn't jive with what others have said. Wonder why?
Makes theft look more like a possibility.
Did anyone actually see his boat anchored there?
He pointed in the general direction of where it was anchored. I've heard from others that the holding isn't good there -- but that's local knowledge he wouldn't have had. But, like I said, the charts really don't say anything. I just looked at Active Captain and the Explorer Chart book to confirm this.
sneuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 12:28   #626

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

There are a number of flights to the US from Freeport, as well as a fast ferry and cruise ship that go to Florida. To get to Nassau, the Mail boat is probably the least expensive option.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 12:40   #627

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
Actually, in the area where Gil anchored (south of the channel) AC says the holding ranges from "excellent" ("Ginn Sur Mer") to "average" ("West of West End"). The Explorer charts are silent. Since I didn't actually see the boat while it was anchored (arrived the next day), can't say for sure which of the two spots he was closer to.

Both our 2004 and 2015 Explorer charts describe the anchoring conditions around West End south of the channel on the banks exactly as I wrote them.

If he was anchored truly south of West End, near Ginn Sur Mer, then he was on the ocean side and 2.5-3nm away from WE. The charts don't show any anchorage there, although there is one review that states it is an OK spot if one needed to stop for any reason. I don't see how he could have a visual on his boat if it was way down there.

If he was on the ocean side 1nm south of WE, then two of the three AC reviews described dragging, hard ledge, coral, etc. The Explorer charts don't mention anchoring there.

If he was anchored on the ocean side like you suggest (I had assumed he was on the bank), then his boat was in deep water and in the gulf steam almost immediately upon dragging. There would have been no chance for his anchor to reset or catch anything. This may not be clear to those doing the drift analyses, since many may have assumed the boat traveled on the banks for a while before leaving into deeper waters.

My point was that the charts do contain good information about the bottom and anchoring conditions in that area. I was only responding to a previous post about that.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 12:44   #628

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

There's an overnight boat ride that goes to Grand Bahama for something like $78. Probably the cheapest option to get back to the USA, and you could roll your dinghy up if you still have it and take it back with you for sale in the USA.
Beautiful boat, I hope someone can pick it up for you, fortune willing. Did you eventually put lifelines and stanchions on her or did she stay flush-decked?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 12:45   #629
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Beth,
I don't mean to unduly hijack this discussion, but what length sculling oar(s) do you use for the Valiant? They use 7'10" sculls on small rowing boats. Thanks, Rognvald
I too want to keep this thread about Gil. If there is enough interest in this subject, i would be happy to start a different thread.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 12:47   #630

https://youtu.be/av7RtyzCBs8